• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

“Stay on” time

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I park my car in the garage overnight. Drive in, open door and the infotainment goes off. Shut door and don’t lock. Due to age and incompetence, I usually forget something and go back into the car. The key is usually in the house when I do this.
The infotainment comes on and the dash lights up, with the car thinking “play time”. So I pick up my forgotten items and shut the door. The car continues to play music for what seems like a long time (2 or 3 minutes), clearly in a huff about not being taken out.
Is there any way to shorten this time - I haven’t found it the menus yet. It’s not the music that bothers me - I could turn it off, but all the other systems firing up, ready for the car to be started and staying on for a while.

I park my car in the garage overnight. Drive in, open door and the infotainment goes off. Shut door and don’t lock. Due to age and incompetence, I usually forget something and go back into the car. The key is usually in the house when I do this.
The infotainment comes on and the dash lights up, with the car thinking “play time”. So I pick up my forgotten items and shut the door. The car continues to play music for what seems like a long time (2 or 3 minutes), clearly in a huff about not being taken out.
Is there any way to shorten this time - I haven’t found it the menus yet. It’s not the music that bothers me - I could turn it off, but all the other systems firing up, ready for the car to be started and staying on for a while.
If press the ignition button 2 times it will turn it all off

Why leave it unlocked? Does it shut down quicker if locked? Could this also invalidate your insurance if the car is left unlocked regardless of garage being locked (personally I'd check this with my insurer if there's a benefit in not locking it)?

Why leave it unlocked? Does it shut down quicker if locked? Could this also invalidate your insurance if the car is left unlocked regardless of garage being locked (personally I'd check this with my insurer if there's a benefit in not locking it)?
I leave it unlocked because I’m lazy. It saves me getting the key to either get the things I’ve left in the car, or to put things in the boot in the morning (it’s a daily driver when the weather isn’t horrendous). Nothing in my insurance policy is specific about locking it inside the garage.

Wait really? It doesn't have a Neutral Safety Switch on the 6MT?? :oops:o_O:eek:
It doesn’t. I usually park in neutral with just the parking brake engaged. One time I didn’t and only wanted to put the ignition on. Out of habit put my foot on the brake but left the clutch engaged, pressed the button and was greeted with the lil' jump we all love to know 😂

It won’t start without the foot on the brake tho

Last edited:
The “safety” pedal is the clutch in the manual, brake in the auto.
2nd press needs to be without the brake depressed. With the brake held, it would try to start if the key is present.
One press is enough to start the car with the pedal pressed.

I did wonder if this was part of the spluttering starting problems we sometimes get.

The car starts straight from “off” with no fuel pump priming, etc.

In the olden-days we turned a key to the on position, which turned everything on, including the pump, and then started the car with an additional turn.

But, it’s more convenient, innit.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back