• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

3D Print Sharing

Tomwa

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I know there's already a "recommendations" thread for 3d printing. This is more to share files, successful prints, cool tips and tricks.

However if anyone wants to ask questions or recommendations here I'm happy to reply and provide as well.

I'll start with what I've got going on my printer now.

An Oil fill solution for the Emira! Print time 3hrs 40min with standard Overture PLA
Screenshot 2024-08-19 015543.png

I know others have links to the -$9 dollar angle neck filler, but others have mentioned that it's fussy and you have to hold it and it's kinda tippy.

So I designed my own thread on angles with a larger cone funnel. The Threads for the cone, and the various adapters are all the same threading and should be the same as the Toyota engine. Which means while you have to fuss a bit with the order you thread things on, it's not going anywhere when put in place.

If the print goes well I'll post up the STLs, or maybe I'll finally throw something up on thingaverse.

Supposing it doesn't go well, and the threads are junk, don't work. Maybe i'll order one of those angled funnels and look at making a bracket, or oil cap adapter so that you can operate without one hand holding the funnel while pouring.

Things I've printed with good success.

Designed myself:
Cat bed
PXL_20240819_091242665.jpg

Water bottle there just to help with scale. Large cylinder with opening and venting on the back side, 1 piece print. Pushed the absolute limits of what I could fit on the bed, had to rotate it just right because I didn't want supports on the inside in case something compromised the edges. Though i think it only printed with 2 tree supports.

The bubbles on the ends are the same ones used for like bowls cats can sit in. You can find them on Amazon.

The base I wanted to play with some of the geometry optimization and generative tools. Watched a few too many videos about how Czinger designed their cars.. definitely makes me appreciate that unique skill set.

PXL_20240819_091348615.jpg

Only 4 screws on each end for the cat bubbles, just friction fit for the base. It's PETG rather than PLA. The Cylinder probably didn't need to be as strong as I made it but I ended up buying a 3kg reel because it *just* wouldn't print with a 1kg roll, and I didn't want to fuss with catching paused printer, dropped temps, bad layers. If I recall correctly it was like a 26 hour print. One day I'll see if I can get any good with swapping filaments in a print.

The scamps don't even really use it. They did during the winter when I had a heating pad in there, so we'll see.