• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

4,000 mile road trip in the Emira

chenner

Reaction score
I just completed a 4k mile road trip in the Emira. Well, it was actually 1,500 miles each way and then I put on another 1K miles over two weeks using the car as my DD.

The route was all interstate from Colorado to Ontario and it was really boring. Basically, corn fields and straight roads at 80mph through Nebraska and Iowa and then stop and go traffic cutting through the southern section of Illinois. Michigan was the most "scenic" part of the route but wasn't anything to write home about.

The car ran like a champ for the most part. Here are the highlights/lowlights:

- Car play crashed on me a couple of times and wouldn't restart until I turned off the car and unlocked it. I noticed that anytime Google Maps would give me an "alert" it would cause Car Play to crash whether the phone was plugged in or connecting wirelessly. Fix was muting Google Maps completely.
- Car had problems with a cold start for two mornings but the problem never returned again.
- I have the 3rd cat delete and the Milltek valve controller and got a ton of compliments on how it sounded. Cruising with 3 other cars, I was running 2nd, the two cars behind me could hear the car and told me how nice it sounded
- The shifter is so notchy on the car. Especially the shift into 2nd when redlining it. Wish it was smoother all around
- Cruise control is really cool how it maintains the set speed even after you shift (like from 6th to 5th for example). I expected it to disengage altogether but that wasn't the case.
- While the lights do a good job at night I wish it had auto high beams but I guess that's part of the whole analogue experience of the car.
- Windshield chips way too easy. I have a small chip that I'm going to get repaired but on closer inspection there's a bunch of tiny ones all over as well.
- I left with 1,800 miles on the odometer and now have just over 6K miles. Getting to DD the car gave me a chance to really get to know it so it was quite the experience and I'm glad I did it.

The car got a ton of looks. Mostly good but you get the occasional person who's kinda obnoxious about it. Waving for me to catch up and then trying to get me to "give it". And because it clearly says "Lotus" on the back everybody knew what kind of car it was though probably not the model or anything else about it.

Some random pics from the trip.
Sarnia.jpg

chip truck.jpg

group.jpg

group1.jpg

sunset.jpg

sunset1.jpg

Nice trek! What was your average MPG over the trip?
Thanks! I was still only able to get 24.X mpg. Average freeway speed was probably 80mph.

I think you'd have to cruise at 70mph to get the revs low enough to get better fuel mileage. That's my take at least.