• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

At what point do I get annoyed ?

Daz205

Reaction score
So I think of myself as a pretty chilled customer , placed deposit on my emira day after the reveal and received it may 2023

Since I’ve had it, I’ve had AA out due to a non start issue which I then gave back to lotus for a software update which should have fixed it
Needless to say it didn’t

I get the engine warning reduced power etc about once every 6 weeks , lasts a couple of day with eml on then resets

Every 10ish weeks I get the won’t start issue (I now keep a 10mm spanner kept in boot to disconnect / reconnect battery )

Every so often I get the auto hold needs attention but tbh pay no attention to that one it seems to clear itself

Seem to get “no key in car” warning daily now, when the keys in the car - just unlock it again and it clears

DAB radio reception is very poor - I’m guessing poor connection to the aerial

Car play connection has to be done every journey

Various recalls are due ? (Based on info here , I’ve not been notified by lotus of any ?)

Now even with the above I’m enjoying the car (when possible) but am a little dismayed by so many problems in a new car (ie lack of faith I can take it in a decent trip and it starting / working correctly )

So forward to Jan 2024 and its first service is due (still on its original oil, which makes no sense to me) so I book it in - at the time was informed servicing is very busy so service was booked for 3 weeks time

Few days later I get a call from servicing to say they’ll need it for more than 1 day due to various “campaigns” for the car ???? - no problem with this as it’s not my only vehicle

Now this afternoon the day before it’s due in, I received a call to say could I rebook for a later date as they’re very busy - I refused as car needs fixing and recalls imo
At which point I’m informed ok we will have to keep the car for at least 2 weeks as too busy to look at it

Am I being unreasonable expecting
A) the car to work - correctly
B) notifications from service departments or lotus regarding updates , recalls etc
C) more than 12 hours notification if the service department has a backlog of 2 weeks

Is there anyway to complain / escalate these issues ?
I get the feeling servicing don’t care cause prob not getting paid (enough?) by lotus for updates / recalls but that’s not my problem ,

I feel like lotus don’t care cause the cars purchased they’ve got what they want

It’s a shame cause it’s spoiling the experience/ enjoyment of having a new car , and really changing my opinion of ever purchasing another lotus -I’m guessing not all makes new sports cars this unreliable, with non existent customer service, and unbookable servicing from the specified dealership?

So I think of myself as a pretty chilled customer , placed deposit on my emira day after the reveal and received it may 2023

Since I’ve had it, I’ve had AA out due to a non start issue which I then gave back to lotus for a software update which should have fixed it

I get the engine warning reduced power etc about once every 6 weeks , lasts a couple of day with eml on then resets

Every 10ish weeks I get the won’t start issue (I now keep a 10mm spanner kept in boot to disconnect / reconnect battery )

Every so often I get the auto hold needs attention but tbh pay no attention to that one it seems to clear itself

Seem to get “no key in car” warning daily now, when the keys in the car - just unlock it again and it clears

Various recalls are due ? (Based on info here , I’ve not been notified by lotus of any ?)

Now even with the above I’m enjoying the car (when possible) but am a little dismayed by so many problems in a new car (ie lack of faith I can take it in a decent trip and it starting / working correctly )

So forward to Jan 2024 and its first service is due (still on its original oil, which makes no sense to me) so I book it in - at the time was informed servicing is very busy so service was booked for 3 weeks time

Few days later I get a call from servicing to say they’ll need it for more than 1 day due to various “campaigns” for the car ???? - no problem with this as it’s not my only vehicle

Now this afternoon the day before it’s due in, I received a call to say could I rebook for a later date as they’re very busy - I refused as car needs fixing and recalls imo
At which point I’m informed ok we will have to keep the car for at least 2 weeks as too busy to look at it

B) notifications from service departments or lotus regarding updates , recalls etc
C) more than 12 hours notification if the service department has a backlog of 2 weeks

I get the feeling servicing don’t care cause prob not getting paid (enough?) by lotus for updates / recalls but that’s not my problem ,

I feel like lotus don’t care cause the cars purchased they’ve got what they want

It’s a shame cause it’s spoiling the experience/ enjoyment of having a new car , and really changing my opinion of ever purchasing another lotus -I’m guessing not all makes new sports cars this unreliable, with non existent customer service, and unbookable servicing from the specified dealership?
It sounds to me like a loose connection somewhere alongthe line,battery earth maybe,has been a problem with others.
As the dealer can't really be bothered I'd ship it back to Hethel and get them to sort it.

Tough one. You’re not being unreasonable at all. It’s life. Probably one dealer in the vicinity and lots of warranty work from Emira and Electres that needs work, need authorising and waiting for parts. Overworked and under paid. Ie small issue which turn into massive jobs like taking the whole front end apart. I’ve heard it all, they all do that sir. Intermittent issue, I can’t get it to happen so will need to monitor it or come back next time.

Hopefully the software will fix most of your issues and like you said it’s a good job it’s not your only car. Also be wise to point out to the dealers to check your earthing relating to the entertainment system and whether your positive and negative terminal on the battery is tight.

This is what I think of new Emira owners including myself. There is also a crime show and they always say "but there were signs" I think the heart over rides most peoples decision making. With such a beautiful car it is hard to not let the heart over ride the signs.
ostrich-hiding-head-in-sand-vector-895712.jpg

Tbf im treating the Emiras “quirks” as a gentle entry into proper supercar dreams (let downs) it’s the customer service that’s getting to me , you don’t get a unexpected 2 week backlog in 4hrs of work - they’d have know at least a fortnight ago they didn’t have time for my car, so why not tell me then?
They still managed to text me 3 times to remind me of my impending booking

Tbf im treating the Emiras “quirks” as a gentle entry into proper supercar dreams (let downs) it’s the customer service that’s getting to me , you don’t get a unexpected 2 week backlog in 4hrs of work - they’d have know at least a fortnight ago they didn’t have time for my car, so why not tell me then?
They still managed to text me 3 times to remind me of my impending booking
Mine is due in April (ish) - and despite this forum, I'm still desperate for it.

Quirkiest car I've had was a 1990 Supra (going back a bit now I'm afraid) - but I loved it and wish I still had it - I've always said it's a cars' foibles that give it the character (up to a point! :LOL:).

Like you I'm calm and I'm tolerant of problems - almost expecting them anyway.

A friend of mine has had one about 4 months or so now - and he also complains about the DAB reception (it's iffy anyway in my experience - better sound quaility than FM, but only with a perfect signal - then it bubbles and pops and goes off at random).

I'm not concerned about it as I only listen to Spotify - but it would be nice if it worked.

“I’m guessing this is your first lotus, huh?”

Excuse the poor attempt of a little joke. I’m sorry for your experience, I think there are a couple of things at play here. Firstly you should try and separate your view of the technical issues between the car, and the unreasonable expectation management from the dealer. Is there another dealer you can work with thats not too far? Probably not. Then remind yourself that when people get their cars well sorted, they are mostly enjoying them. So hopefully not too long for you.

Unfortunately only 1 dealer in the area, I’m not too worried with the cars quirks , my first car was a 1989 Peugeot 205 gti and I used to have to carry a tool kit in the boot for when it broke down , which it did regularly

It’s more the shit show regarding customer service and what is a £80k+ car that’s less than a year old - perhaps I’m old fashioned and actually expect customer service not the online remote distance Tesla style of working

The thing is that the dealer isn't the dealer. They are just a service unit in their relationship with you. If they'd sold you the car and it had all those issues and their service was poor, you'd show up, see the DP and explain a few things to them and they'd most likely care. Now there's no one to give a shit (frankly). I love quirky cars, but they need someone who cares about you and your car to give customer service. I'm pleased that I can't get an i4 until the summer so there's the tiniest chance that the shitshow improves (mind you time is running away quickly). I'll be cancelling if not. Recently had similar with a 9 month old Cupra Born. Took forever to fix, but the service people really cared and did some great customer service things (like picking up and dropping back for the last 3 visits). Problem is fixed, I can live with the other foibles coz they cared and they showed it.