Auto Handbrake Question?

Nellie

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
HI All,

Collective brain pick from other owners as I did not get my owners manual when picking up the car so have nothing to reference until it arrives.

I have selected the auto handbrake function on the settings menu however its operation is not how I expected against other cars I had with this feature and wanted to check if its operating correctly or I have an issue.

The handbrake will release automatically when I pull away after having applied it myself using the switch but it does not auto apply when stopping no matter what I do, i.e. clutch in or out, in gear or out of gear, apply brake and release.

Is this correct or do I have a problem, or have I missed something when using it?

Thanks in advance

Not quite answering the same question but thought Id mention that I have found that the handbrake always automatically applies when you turn the car off...took me a while (as I am a bit of a typical man when it comes to written manuals), but having played a bit I can now report that if you press the handbrake in (to the off position) as you also depress the engine stop button it then does not engage the handbrake (meaning I can leave the car in gear now rather than getting the brake sticking problem when left to cool after a bit of a run)

Not quite answering the same question but thought Id mention that I have found that the handbrake always automatically applies when you turn the car off...took me a while (as I am a bit of a typical man when it comes to written manuals), but having played a bit I can now report that if you press the handbrake in (to the off position) as you also depress the engine stop button it then does not engage the handbrake (meaning I can leave the car in gear now rather than getting the brake sticking problem when left to cool after a bit of a run)
You can turn off the “auto apply when switching off“ function in the menu.

The auto handbrake function you can switch on and off in the menus is as @Kentviking describes.
As standard the car should hold an “auto handbrake” function to help you when pulling away for example on a hill start. I have found that the sequence to do this has to be precise. Hold on the foot brake. Depress clutch and engage first gear. If you now come off the footbrake and on to the accelerator the brakes will hold for just a second or two which enables you to release the clutch and pull away.

I only just noticed that the ‘hill hold assist’ function of the handbrake is working. Although it would be helpful to have an icon displayed in the instrument cluster to confirm that..

Can someone confirm if there is an auto-hold-brake feature? Mine is an automatic V6 but it doesn't engage the brakes when I stop the car :whistle: It keeps rolling. Maybe it prefers to be on the move, instead of been parked in the garage?:)

I only just noticed that the ‘hill hold assist’ function of the handbrake is working. Although it would be helpful to have an icon displayed in the instrument cluster to confirm that..
Don’t bet on icons with Lotus 😂 Headlights icon is useless, yellow triangle sometimes stuck and shown without reason, no hill-asisst indicator, not even an ABS indicator (when actively interfering) as I recently learned.

Can someone confirm if there is an auto-hold-brake feature? Mine is an automatic V6 but it doesn't engage the brakes when I stop the car :whistle: It keeps rolling. Maybe it prefers to be on the move, instead of been parked in the garage?:)
While there is automatic parking brake (turn on in the settings) and a hill assist (tricky to engage / irrelevant for automatics?) there doesn’t seem to be an auto-hold feature, at least I can’t find anything in the manual. To be clear: Auto-hold applies the brakes when stationary (regardless of tilt) after 1-2s and holds the car until tapping the accelerator.

Don’t bet on icons with Lotus 😂 Headlights icon is useless, yellow triangle sometimes stuck and shown without reason, no hill-asisst indicator, not even an ABS indicator (when actively interfering) as I recently learned.

While there is automatic parking brake (turn on in the settings) and a hill assist (tricky to engage / irrelevant for automatics?) there doesn’t seem to be an auto-hold feature, at least I can’t find anything in the manual. To be clear: Auto-hold applies the brakes when stationary (regardless of tilt) after 1-2s and holds the car until tapping the accelerator.
My auto self identified as manual last week and told me hill assist was broken lol. The warning has never come back, thankfully.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back