• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Blessed start to ownership, is it trouble brewing

Nellie

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well I am at 1100 miles and can now play with the car properly, however I have had a few dash warnings come and go with the Hand brake auto functionality and also experienced the wiper issue that everyone suffers.

Its my everyday car but I don't necessarily drive it every day, today I did about 30 trouble free miles and then was sat at a junction waiting to pull out , when I pulled out (mild acceleration) the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, all sorts of warning lights and messages came up.

1. A warning to stop immediately due to brake failure (Accepted alarm)
2. Handbrake failure (Accepted Alarm)
3. Another alarm that flashed and dropped off so did not see it
4. ESC temporarily available (Accepted Alarm)

I pulled over, stopped the car got out waited 20 - 30 seconds got back in and the dash warning lights were out apart from ESC fault which is still present.

20230609_143155.jpg

Have contacted Lotus Silverstone but no answer to repeated calls.

I have accelerated harder than this in the car so not sure what triggered the problems, anyone else seen the same fault pattern before?

I bet it disappears before I hear back

So back out to the car again just now and I had a new fault:

Park Assist was temporarily unavailable, ESC still in fault

20230609_170131.jpg

And Handbrake would not release (Even though fault was not showing for handbrake anymore)

However when I pulled away and got to 20 mph the faults all dropped off, have driven in for another 5 miles to see if I could trigger any fault again but nothing happened.

Bizarre intermittent faults are the worst!! it robs you of confidence in the car 😒

Like eagle says, you need to toughen up.
This might sound stupid but when my car was delivered I had a full tank of fuel as expected and it threw lights from the first 20 miles of use. after the first 100miles I use my local Esso garage and topped up with 99 and have not had any lights since - thoughts?

i was advised to run it on super.
I have a Shell station 1m mile away

This might sound stupid but when my car was delivered I had a full tank of fuel as expected and it threw lights from the first 20 miles of use. after the first 100miles I use my local Esso garage and topped up with 99 and have not had any lights since - thoughts?
Doesn’t make any difference, I would say. I put normal unleaded in and I don’t have any warning lights. But what I do know is the battery drains pretty quickly and sometimes when I start the car it sometimes splutters into life rather than a positive thrum. The battery system is the main culprit.

I had something similar happen to me today and actually “bricked” my car from starting.

Try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and reconnecting to see if the warnings will go away.

It’s software issues, mostly clears itself after the ECU did a reboot. Book an appointment for software updates, there was something released recently. Hope it takes care of it. I’m 10k kilometers in and had all kind of issues. Buckle in, it’s a wild ride.

BUT

It’s well worth it.

Super pumped for you. How are the wipers?

So back out to the car again just now and I had a new fault:

Park Assist was temporarily unavailable, ESC still in fault

View attachment 27627

And Handbrake would not release (Even though fault was not showing for handbrake anymore)

However when I pulled away and got to 20 mph the faults all dropped off, have driven in for another 5 miles to see if I could trigger any fault again but nothing happened.

Bizarre intermittent faults are the worst!! it robs you of confidence in the car 😒
Shame on seeing all these faults and issues week after week which is why I cancelled my deposit and bought a 2020 911 Carrera 4S with low miles. I was looking forward to the Emira but not after all the trials and tribulations being posted weekly! Shame. I thought Lotus had really upped their build quality.

I’d LOVE a 991.2 T but they are still too much money for me. I’m leaning 718 boxster
The c8 is the emiras equal in mechanical and dealer service failings. I’d love a c8 but nope

Shame on seeing all these faults and issues week after week which is why I cancelled my deposit and bought a 2020 911 Carrera 4S with low miles. I was looking forward to the Emira but not after all the trials and tribulations being posted weekly! Shame. I thought Lotus had really upped their build quality.
I rented one of the same year but as the cabriolet version. It is very impressive but does blend in with the crowd - a massive change from the 2019 McLaren 570S Spider I also rented. Then again, the cost difference is significant.

I did the same ordered a 718 4.0 GTS in February and taking delivery in August. The buying experience has been a different world including a FREE afternoon around Silverstone. Plus the price is £4,000 less than the Emira

I admit I’m poking the bear. I’m going to Roo for a few days, I’ll check in next Monday and see if any cars have failed leaving the hethel

You will probably be able to run the 718 for 2 yrs and get your money back.
Yes. Probably would if your porker is a GT model or Spyder. But after having had 3 Porsches (2 spyders and a 911.2 GTS), they are becoming very boring, nothing special. Granted the quality/CS is a lot better. Lotus is the head tuner by far. Porsches are getting way too expensive after options now.

Once the gremlins start to get ironed out, it should be fantastic to look, own and drive.

Back