• The July 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 July 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Carbon Ceramic Brakes?

Andrew

Reaction score
Hi

Is there any hint that Carbon Ceramic Brakes will be available in the future as a factory-option for the EMIRA?
I was just curious.

Hi

Is there any hint that Carbon Ceramic Brakes will be available in the future as a factory-option for the EMIRA?
I was just curious.
It would be nice, Ive just come back from Mclaren ownership with carbon ceramics to a GT430 and the difference is huge. I dont recall them ever being available for the Evora but please correct me if I am wrong. The Emira GT4 only states 2 part discs and Alcon calipers. I'de buy them as an option. Fingers crossed there is a really track focused but road legal Emira in the pipe line.

That's why I'm asking.
I also drove some ceramic-brakes cars recently, and I'm starting to like them!

Porsche Cayman offers this option, same as Corvette and other sports cars.
It would be nice for LOTUS to also offer them, even if they're expensive.

I am currently in talks with a couple of companies that manufacture carbon ceramic discs and trying to get a set worked out to include the pads and bells. I will be speaking to the main UK contact for AP Racibg who manufacture the Emira callipers to see if they can assist with sizing. I have dealt with them previous to assist with putting a ccd set together and they are really helpful.
Is anyone interested in getting a group buy price if I can negotiate a better price?

I am currently in talks with a couple of companies that manufacture carbon ceramic discs and trying to get a set worked out to include the pads and bells. I will be speaking to the main UK contact for AP Racibg who manufacture the Emira callipers to see if they can assist with sizing. I have dealt with them previous to assist with putting a ccd set together and they are really helpful.
Is anyone interested in getting a group buy price if I can negotiate a better price?
I would be!

100% am in!

Unless you're tracking your car, they're really not cost-effective for the street. The biggest advantage for a street build is the weight reduction, they're about half the weight of cast-iron, but they also need some heat in them to work their best, which is why they're great on the track. The cast-iron rotors of the factory system (by all reports) have plenty of stopping power, and they don't need to heat up first.

The one area the Emira probably doesn't need improvement on is the brakes (at least for the street), but if you have the money and just want to spend it... it's your car. Be prepared to repeatedly spend thousands for rotors and pads if you run on the track though, track use goes through rotors and pads in a hurry.

Most performance car main brands use a chopped carbon fibre pieces bonded with resin, this is a cheaper way of producing CCDs but it is not reflected in the optional extra prices. I’ve had manufacturers ceramic brakes of this kind and they were prone to getting stone chipped.
The ones I’m looking into are made by interweaving carbon fibre strands to form a 3D needle-punched multi layered pre-form. This type of CCDs are way stronger and more resistant to damage.
I have no interest in tracking my car but woven strand CCD have better thermal transfer for hard use.
I’m looking at the weight reduction and no brake dust. I’ think you will be surprised with the cost if things go to plan. Looks like it will be way cheaper than upgraded the sound system to a Cambridge Audio one.
As I get further information over the next week I will update the thread.

I understand the brakes need to be applied a few times to work there best.due to warm up but the ones on my RS3 were no where near dangerous and passed the MOT brake test when cold. Personally I never drive my car hard until it’s fully warmed up and that appkies to tyres and oil.

Carbon ceramics are a real pain from a cost perspective if you intend to track the car. The heat causes them to wear out quickly and they're very expensive to replace. Ironic given they need some heat to start with to brake properly. For street use, CCBs are fine as they are almost dust free and can effectively last the life of a car.

Many who track their cars remove CCB rotors and pads, place them into storage, and replace them with surface transforms until they sell their car with the original CCBs. An edge chip on one carbon rotor typically means that you need to replace a whole set. If you're clumsy with wheel removal and hit the rotor with a wheel they're likely to chip.

If you want to emulate the feel of carbons, then you can get different hardness pads for standard iron rotors. Personally I think CCBs are over-rated. I'm happy with the Emira AP racing brake setup.

@digilotus I’ve heard the same. Track guys actually prefer running steel brakes for cheaper running costs and CCBs for street because of the low brake dust and long life. Ironic as CCBs are developed primarily for track use. They are just expensive even for guys with money. Money no object? CCBs all the way for everything.

I have CCB's on my 911 and love them because they don't dust. I do not track the car. For street use they work great and will likely never need to be replaced. I would love to have CCB's on the Emira simply for no dust.