• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira steering feel - Difference between engines/suspensions?

Widetyres

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Hi,

New to the forum, and test drove some Emira's for the first time today.

I drove:
1st) 2.0L/i4 with Touring suspension
2nd) 3.5L/v6 with Sports suspension (with Cup 2)

I am really after an i4, and I only drove the v6 to compare the feel of the suspension.

However, I really found the steering quite different too - whilst the i4 did have feel, the steering in the v6 was more "chatty" generally and a lot more reactive to cambers, which l found much more Lotus like (having had 2 x Elise's in the past).

Has anyone driven an i4 with both Touring and Sports? I'm wondering if the difference I felt is due to the chassis/suspension choice, or the slightly different steering setup between the v6 and i4 (v6 being pure hydraulic, i4 being electro-hydraulic - according to Lotus' press release and some magazine reviews)?

There don't seem to be any i4 Sport demos near me, so hoping you will be able to help me understand this.

Many thanks,
WT

Last edited:
Hi,

New to the forum, and test drove some Emira's for the first time today.

I drove:
1st) 2.0L/i4 with Touring suspension
2nd) 3.5L/v6 with Sports suspension (with Cup 2)

I am really after an i4, and I only drove the v6 to compare the feel of the suspension.

However, I really found the steering quite different too - whilst the i4 did have feel, the steering in the v6 was more "chatty" generally and a lot more reactive to cambers, which l found much more Lotus like (having had 2 x Elise's in the past).

Has anyone driven an i4 with both Touring and Sports? I'm wondering if the difference I felt is due to the chassis/suspension choice, or the slightly different steering setup between the v6 and i4 (v6 being pure hydraulic, i4 being electro-hydraulic - according to Lotus' press release and some magazine reviews)?

There don't seem to be any i4 Sport demos near me, so hoping you will be able to help me understand this.

Many thanks,
WT
The suspension directly affects the steering feel as well and what you describe is from the higher damping rates of the sports suspension. If you liked that "chatty" feeling, then going with the sports suspension on the I4 should feel basically the same.

There really shouldn't be any significant difference in feel between the hydraulic and electrohydraulic rack. They both allow tire forces through about the same, the electrohydraulic just allows easier control over the amount of low vs high speed assist, if Lotus wanted too. I've only driven the v6, not the i4, so I can't directly comment on if the amount of assist feels different, but I would think they probably kept them similar.

I have an i4 on touring suspension supposedly coming next month and I'll probably write up a review at that point.

Last edited: