• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Full exhaust o2 problem

EmiraGuy

Reaction score
Hi all!

First, i’m new here as a writer, but as a reader i’ve been there for a while. Very nice community and i’m happy to be part of it now.

So here’s my problem. I bought from Greg (grp) full exhaust so headers, y pipe, test pipe and exhaust with miltek controller. First, the quality of the stuff is unbeleivable and let’s talk about the support i had with Greg answering all my questions all the time. That guy is a master, a gentleman and his service is perfect (thanks again Greg)

Back to my problem i have still from day one of the install is a check engine. I have the codes (check photo). The setup is pretty simple, the o2 sensor from the headers is direct in and the y pipe got spacers for the o2 sensors. The car is running well, no problem or limp mode. The sound is just crazy 🤪. But i don’t like the light in my dash. Do you guys have a solution? I have 6 codes.
P0157
P0137
P0135
P0155
P0130
P0150

Thanks again all

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a nice set up. Did you mean to post a pic? I don't see one and wondering which codes you have exactly... 🤔

IMG_3354.png

Hi all!

First, i’m new here as a writer, but as a reader i’ve been there for a while. Very nice community and i’m happy to be part of it now.

So here’s my problem. I bought from Greg (grp) full exhaust so headers, y pipe, test pipe and exhaust with miltek controller. First, the quality of the stuff is unbeleivable and let’s talk about the support i had with Greg answering all my questions all the time. That guy is a master, a gentleman and his service is perfect (thanks again Greg)

Back to my problem i have still from day one of the install is a check engine. I have the codes (check photo). The setup is pretty simple, the o2 sensor from the headers is direct in and the y pipe got spacers for the o2 sensors. The car is running well, no problem or limp mode. The sound is just crazy 🤪. But i don’t like the light in my dash. Do you guys have a solution?

Thanks again all
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a nice set up. Did you mean to post a pic? I don't see one and wondering which codes you have exactly... 🤔
Hi!

Heres the codes

1721827960444.png

Hi all!

Back to my problem i have still from day one of the install is a check engine. I have the codes (check photo). The setup is pretty simple, the o2 sensor from the headers is direct in and the y pipe got spacers for the o2 sensors. The car is running well, no problem or limp mode. The sound is just crazy 🤪. But i don’t like the light in my dash. Do you guys have a solution? I have 6 codes.
P0157
P0137
P0135
P0155
P0130
P0150

Thanks again all
I did not do the headers, but otherwise had your setup.

My car threw a CEL about a week after getting everything installed.

I took the car to my Lotus dealer and they scanned the car for codes. They claim the codes go to Lotus automatically???

My dealer/Lotus said the modification ruined the CAT’s.

In order to have the replacement parts and labor covered under warranty, I had to have the OEM parts reinstalled (mid pipe, 3rd Cat, and exhaust).

Hope your outcome is better than mine.

They claim the mods destroyed the cats yet they are willing to replace them under warranty? That doesn’t sound like Lotus at all
I found it odd as well, but It’s me vs. the dealer.

I have probably close to $5K invested my cool parts and labor to install and un-install the parts.

The Milltek, GRP parts are sitting in my basement 😡

I found it odd as well, but It’s me vs. the dealer.

I have probably close to $5K invested my cool parts and labor to install and un-install the parts.

The Milltek, GRP parts are sitting in my basement 😡
I will add, no CEL after running for a month with OEM parts.

Just my bad luck I guess.

I installed the 3rd Cat Delete and exhaust controller. Have noticed that the car now stuggles just ever so slightly to start when its cold out. Not really a big deal. This said, it also doesn't like to run full throttle until the engine temp reaches about 170 degrees. Again, no big deal, but just thought it was worth a mention. This said, this could all potentially be mitigated if I switched the exhaust valve controller to OEM during the cold conditions (I've not tried this yet, but will as soon as its cold again). I suspect it will resolve the matter, but wanted to share this info with the forum.

...This said, it also doesn't like to run full throttle until the engine temp reaches about 170 degrees...
If I were an engine, I wouldn't want to be run at full throttle when cold either. Maybe the ECU is trying to tell you something.

I did not do the headers, but otherwise had your setup.

My car threw a CEL about a week after getting everything installed.

I took the car to my Lotus dealer and they scanned the car for codes. They claim the codes go to Lotus automatically???

My dealer/Lotus said the modification ruined the CAT’s.

In order to have the replacement parts and labor covered under warranty, I had to have the OEM parts reinstalled (mid pipe, 3rd Cat, and exhaust).

Hope your outcome is better than mine.
Wow

Well im not going to the dealer with this installed for sure. I have to figure it out myself to fix the problem. A tune would fix it but im not willing to this right now

Good luck mate

If I were an engine, I wouldn't want to be run at full throttle when cold either. Maybe the ECU is trying to tell you something.
Agreed and to clairify; I never floor it when cold, just pointing out that in a car that settles out at about 195-200 degrees, 170 isn't cold and theres a difference at 170 between stock and with the cat delete and exhaust in open mode.

Agreed and to clairify; I never floor it when cold, just pointing out that in a car that settles out at about 195-200 degrees, 170 isn't cold and theres a difference at 170 between stock and with the cat delete and exhaust in open mode.
We'll have to agree to disagree on what a cold engine is for full throttle. 170 coolant is only about 100 oil temp in a V6. I like to see coolant above 190 for at least a couple of minutes to make sure the oil is at least 150. Ideally I'd like to see oil above 175 for hard driving. Tomato, tomahto. :)

We'll have to agree to disagree on what a cold engine is for full throttle. 170 coolant is only about 100 oil temp in a V6. I like to see coolant above 190 for at least a couple of minutes to make sure the oil is at least 150. Ideally I'd like to see oil above 175 for hard driving. Tomato, tomahto. :)
Appreciate the perspective. I'll let her warm up a bit more from here on in!

Appreciate the perspective. I'll let her warm up a bit more from here on in!
This has been a long time "safety" thing that Lotus does in the tuning of the ECU. In the Elise,Exige and Evora there is a soft limiter built in until the engine is up to temp, same goes for the Emira. It will limit power/timing until the engine is up to temp.

Are you kidding me? Do you really go through all that analysis before every fast drive? Hell, I have piloted planes with less engine run-up and systems checks! Surely, you wouldn't fly with me o_O. Sorry, but I just can't picture myself driving down the road wanting to accelerate, but taking a preemptive time-out to check if the oil is at the goldilocks temperature. All joking aside, I do respect a driver's use of good and sound protocol. I guess I'm just a potahto type of guy.

Are you kidding me? Do you really go through all that analysis before every fast drive? Hell, I have piloted planes with less engine run-up and systems checks! Surely, you wouldn't fly with me o_O. Sorry, but I just can't picture myself driving down the road wanting to accelerate, but taking a preemptive time-out to check if the oil is at the goldilocks temperature. All joking aside, I do respect a driver's use of good and sound protocol. I guess I'm just a potahto type of guy.
I guess I do, but it's not analysis, it's just a quick glance at the coolant gauge to see if the car is warmed up. Where I live, before I get to anywhere that would need hard throttle, it's warmed up. On track, yes I do make sure it's warmed up in grid before going full out, even if it means taking the first lap a little slower.

Given the cost of engine overhaul, and risk of engine failure on takeoff, I'm sure you're in the green before you're finished your taxi to the runway. ;)

I’m sure you’re exaggerating, but it’s obviously wise in both aircraft and expensive cars to make sure all is warmed up properly before you give it the beans

:oops: