đź““ Journals Graham's Road Trip CA-WA

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.

GrahamClark_60-68

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Introduction: My first journal as a relatively new owner. After taking delivery of my car at Eurocar in Costa Mesa, CA in June, and putting around 200 miles on it in So Cal, I decided to road-trip it up to Washington state where I'm working for the time being. After weighing the risks, and considering some past "missed opportunities" to do something like this, I took the plunge and it was well worth it! My only regrets were not having enough time to spend a week, and the fact that the route up the coast highway to Big Sur was still closed north of Hearst Castle due the the landslide.

Originally I had planned for this to be a 2 day trip (Irvine, CA to Kirkland WA), Saturday and Sunday, because of my lack of vacation time (just took time off earlier with the family) but after considering my first day would be very rushed going through California and would entail about 14 hours of driving time, good sense got the better of me and I expanded this out to 2.5 days (Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, arriving around 1pm). This was another great decision that allowed me to really enjoy the epic roads and scenery in California.

Last edited:
T minus one day: On my prep day, I tried to think of what I might need on the road, (probably naively thinking I might actually be able to fix something to get me out of a bind). I had jumper cables so I took them. I prepared a small tool kit of common things I might need (plyers, screwdrivers, duct tape, electrical tape, zip ties). And my battery tender, courtesy of Lotus and Eurocar. And of course: my Lotus Roadside assistance card with 800 phone number! My rollaboard suitcase and backpack in the cabin with me behind the seats and my el-cheapo Amazon.com car cover in the truck. Oh, and my Ring camera (more on this later). Here's a pic from prep day. My neighbor has also been on a reservation list almost as long as I was (about 2 years) and also took delivery around the same time as I did. I like mine better. :)
1724112081130.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 1 Plan - Orange County to Scotts Valley, CA
For the first day, after I broke the trip up into 3 days (actually 2.5), it meant much less windshield time and much more enjoyment. The route I planned took me up through LA, out the 101 to Ventura, then up the coast to Santa Barbara. From there I could have chosen to go either over San Marcos pass though the mountains behind Santa Barbara (epic every time I've done it, and I used to live there so I drove it often), or continue on the 101 and head through the Gaviota tunnel. Did I say TUNNEL? :cool: Yes, and quite a cool one at that. This was a very tough choice, but I ultimately chose San Marco's Pass for the view of the ocean, the great windy mountain road, and the fact that I would not have break in miles done by that time, so would still be limited to 4000 rpm through the tunnel (BOO!). So after going over the pass, my plan was to head to Lake Cachuma, the reservoir where Santa Barbara gets its water. From there up to Pismo Beach, then Morro Bay. I considered going further up the coast road to Hearst Castle but I would have to turn back because of the landslide closure and the really epic portion of the coast road isn't until much further north. So from Morro Bay, just back out to 101 through the lovely central valley, San Luis Obispo, the wine country of Paso Robles with my next destination being Monterey and Carmel-by-the-Sea. I have friends in Santa Cruz and Scotts Valley, and planned to overnight the car at my friends place in Scotts Valley.

Last edited:
Day 1 experience. First, the car ran spectacular, and I didn't have a lick of problems. Still tough to keep it under 4000 rpm, but I won't hit my break in miles until close to the Oregon border.

As this was my first day of a LOT of behind the wheel time, it felt VERY foreign to me. I mean, up until that point, I really only paid attention to the steering wheel, the shifter, and the the three pedals. What else is there, right? Took some time for me to get comfortable moving around the infotainment screen, and learning where everything was, and how to move between my nav (I used car play and Apple maps), my tunes, and also the information in the central gauge cluster. By day 2, I had it down, but learning it while driving and trying to be safe took some time on day 1. 3 or 4 hours in I realized I still didn't know where the cruise control was. Not on the stalk?! Found it eventually, and for those who don’t know, on an unnamed button on the steering wheel on the left side that then puts up the controls on the display. A few minutes of fiddling and I had it down.

Overall I was quite impressed at the comfort level after many hours of driving, something I had been concerned about. I got touring suspension specifically for that reason and am very happy with that choice. The cabin to me was relatively placid in 6th gear at 65-75 mph in Tour mode and the noise level was much quieter than I expected. No problem listening to my tunes through Car Play at normal listening levels, and I took a few phone calls with no issues hearing or being heard. I quite frankly don't understand the guys complaining about the noise level, they must be coming out of Rolls Royces or on much rougher surfaced roadways than I've experienced.

Now on to some pics

Last edited:
Day 1: After an early Saturday morning departure (left around 6am in attempt to get across LA before the madness), I hit one of my most favorite cites, Santa Barbara, and spent WAY more time there than I thought I would. :)

First glimpse of ocean after Ventura headed up to Santa Barbara. This is such a great stretch of road. Still an early morning marine layer over the ocean. Hoping this will burn off by the time I get up on the pass.
1724112230209.jpeg
1724112149445.jpeg

Last edited:
Seemed to be a Corvette show starting on Stearns Wharf. Had a few heads turn and horns honk as I passed.

Attachments

• c1.JPG
    c1.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 37
  • c2.JPG
    c2.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 37
  • c3.JPG
    c3.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 38
Another of my favorite spots I had to visit, the old Santa Barbara Mission. From there I rediscovered a little stretch of road I had forgotten about, Mission Canyon Road to Foothill Road. Fun and very scenic!
1724112524558.jpeg

Last edited:
And then on up to San Marcos Pass. Even though now almost 10:30am, still quite a cloud cover so no ocean view unfortunately. But still spectacular I think and can still see one of the Channel Islands on the horizon (I think it's Santa Cruz Island). I had to whip it around the opposite direction to get this shot from the pull out, and then u-turn back to continue on. Something the missus would not have been too fond of me doing had she been riding with me. :)
1724112642809.jpeg
1724112668531.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 1 experience. First, the car ran spectacular, and I didn't have a lick of problems. Still tough to keep it under 4000 rpm, but I won't hit my break in miles until close to the Oregon border.

As this was my first day of a LOT of behind the wheel time, it felt VERY foreign to me. I mean, up until that point, I really only paid attention to the steering wheel, the shifter, and the the three pedals. What else is there, right? Took some time for me to get comfortable moving around the infotainment screen, and learning where everything was, and how to move between my nav (I used car play and Apple maps), my tunes, land also the information in the central gauge cluster. By day 2, I had it down, but learning it while driving and trying to safe took some time on day 1. 3 or 4 hours in I realized I still didn't know where the cruise control was. Not on the stalk?! Found it eventually, and for those who know, on an unnamed button on the steering wheel on the left side that then puts up the controls on the display.

Overall I was quite impressed at the comfort level after many hours of driving, something I had been concerned about. I got touring suspension specifically for that reason and am very happy with that choice. The cabin to me was relatively placid in 6th gear at 65-75 mph and the noise level was much quieter than I expected. No problem listening to my tunes through Car Play at normal listening levels, and I took a few phone calls with no issues hearing or being heard. I quite frankly don't understand the guys complaining about the noise level, they must be coming out of Rolls Royces or on much rougher surfaced roadways than I've experienced.

Now on to some pics
Road noise difference has to be the differences of road surfaces. For me, on some surfaces the noise isn't bad at all. On others, it's like a jet roar. Old asphalt seems to be the loudest.

Road noise difference has to be the differences of road surfaces. For me, on some surfaces the noise isn't bad at all. On others, it's like a jet roar. Old asphalt seems to be the loudest.
Wow, glad I've yet to experience the jet roar! Hopefully that's the exception for you in your area rather than the norm.

So my next destination after this was Lake Cachuma. Haven't been there in years and have never seen it this full (I lived in Santa Barbara during one of the 7 year drought cycles when they were siphoning the last bits of water from several of the low spots and it was a 30 foot drop or more to the water from all the boat launches). The lake and scenery was beautiful and nice backdrop to Seneca Blue!
1724112850476.jpeg

Last edited:
Now 11:30am on Day 1, I pointed the car to my next destinations, Pismo Beach and then onto Morro Bay. Decided not to stop at Pismo to save some time (and also because I really didn't know a good map point to head to), just enjoyed the ocean view scenery along the way and headed straight for one of my obligatory photo shots, the iconic ROCK at Morro Bay. After enjoying relatively low traffic up to this point, Morro Bay was packed on this gorgeous Saturday and the restaurant parking lots were jammed. So after enjoying the scenery for awhile, I opted to bug out to a quieter route out of town for a gas stop, and since there was a Taco Bell there, that had to serve as lunch for the day!
1724112936152.jpeg
1724112981651.jpeg

Last edited:
the backlit pics look great as they show the lines of the car better with at least 2 shades of blue. Nice!

keep the pics going! I love the pic at the rock. I remember visiting there with my macan turbo when I also went onto the beach at pismo for a bit of fun.

the backlit pics look great as they show the lines of the car better with at least 2 shades of blue. Nice!

keep the pics going! I love the pic at the rock. I remember visiting there with my macan turbo when I also went onto the beach at pismo for a bit of fun.
Glad you're liking the pics!

Day 1 continued, onward from Morro Bay: As it was now a bit later than I had originally planned and I had made tentative dinner plans with friends in Santa Cruz, I pointed the car up the 101 north, an initially delightful drive through San Luis Obispo and the wine country of Paso Robles, turning into a relatively boring stretch and headed toward Monterey. My thoughts were that if I got there early enough, I could have some playtime before dinner near Pebble Beach, 17 mile drive and maybe tool around Carmel-by-the Sea. My last time there was August of last year, when I went for 4 days of absolute car delirium for Monterey car week and the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. But the real highlight of that trip, and the main reason I went was the opportunity (my first) to drive the Emira at Lotus' test drive event at The Quail in Carmel. Both my son and I got 30 minutes each in a follow the leader drive down Carmel Valley road and the surrounding neighborhoods. NIRVANA! 6 Emiras, all different colors, and we could wave at the other 6 Emiras coming the other way. It was there that I was able to see nearly all the colors and options in person before I locked down my order. I was also there when I changed my then solid mind on Hethel Yellow to Seneca Blue. Nothing like seeing them all in person! I still love the yellow, but Seneca rubbed off on me hard. But yes, I've digressed from my roadtrip story. Sorry. A few pics of that event before I continue... :)

Attachments

• IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG
    477.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0928.JPG
    IMG_0928.JPG
    457.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0931.JPG
    IMG_0931.JPG
    356.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0945.JPG
    IMG_0945.JPG
    368.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0962.JPG
    IMG_0962.JPG
    411.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0897.JPG
    IMG_0897.JPG
    432.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    462.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    518 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    456 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0979.JPG
    IMG_0979.JPG
    516 KB · Views: 46
Day 1 continued: So after Morro Bay, and nice drive through San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles, then a relatively boring drive the rest of the way up the US-101, I took the CA-67 cutoff at Salinas headed for Monterey and Carmel-by-the-Sea. In the process, I completely forgot this route would take me right past Laguna Seca Raceway. I reminisced and paid homage as I passed but didn't stop. One day..... :cool: Enjoyed the drive into Monterey and pointed myself south on Hwy 1, intent to go as far as I could before I would need to turn around to make it back for dinner in Santa Cruz at 6:30pm. That point turned out to be in Carmel Highlands when this absolutely spectacular view unfolded. The cool sea breeze and mesmerizing ocean currents kept me there until the time arrived to head back up the coast road.
1724114827542.jpeg
1724114908548.jpeg
1724114963680.jpeg
1724115015818.jpeg

Last edited:
As much as I wanted to head further down the coast road from there, it would have been a ways until I got to more ocean views, and traffic was getting jammed up going back north. So I started heading back up CA-1 to Santa Cruz for dinner. Along that journey were the great and expansive ocean views coming through Seaside, CA and transiting along some local beaches, drawing some stares from locals along the way.

My anticipated sunset photoshoot on the Santa Cruz wharf with my friend's mid 70's era Porsche Carrera and my Emira didn't happen for two reasons. First, Saturday night on the wharf on a beautiful summer evening, come on! Packed of course, should have known (my FRIENDS who live there especially should have known!). And second, found out later that my friend sold his Carrera four years ago after it leaked gasoline on the garage floor, could have burned the house down, and his pockets are currently being emptied in some home renovations. So out it went, to a guy in Finland who had it shipped over and is reportedly giving it some new love. So dinner at the wharf turned into an Italian restaurant deep in town near another friend's house. It wasn't all for naught though as after dinner while giving my friends their turns riding in the Emira, we toured a few of the "Lost Boys' filming locations where the vampires used to hang out. No vampire pics though as I was driving. :cool:

Day 1 ended with an interesting drive into the woods in Scotts Valley to my Porsche-owner (er, ex-Porsche owner) friend's house where the Emira would be garaged for the night. I knew he lived in the woods but.....sheesh!
1724116899777.jpeg
1724116956460.jpeg
1724116984942.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 2: So after a great first day driving through California and my overnight in Scotts Valley, it was time to plot my course for day 2. I had strategically booked a room for that night just over the Oregon border at a place called Callahan's Mountain Lodge in Ashland Oregon, for several reasons. 1. It is right off the exit of I-5, in an location away from prying eyes, all by itself, but not so secluded, in a nice woodsy mountain setting. 2. I could probably get a room right next to my car. 3. It's about the midway point to my final destination in Kirkland, WA from Scotts Valley. 4. If I got there before 8 I could get myself a nice $18 burger and maybe a beer. Good because there's really NOTHING else around there for miles. Mental note to self: get there before 8. Should be easy, since it's only about 6.5 hours of drive time. Well, we'll see. Oh and reason 5. The name reminds me of Harry Callahan (Dirty Harry, Clint Eastwood of course)!

Last edited:
Day 2, not so early departure (9:30-ish). Misty morning on CA-17 through Scotts Valley but Sunday so light traffic. Rain-sensing wipers turned on (oh WOW, my wipers work, didn't know. Hadn't tried them up till now!!)

Haven't been on this stretch in a long while. Every bit as beautiful as I remember and a fun drive. 672 miles on the clock now, still in tour mode (BOO!).
1724306173591.jpeg
1724306197469.jpeg
1724306225411.jpeg
1724306241453.jpeg

Last edited: