• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Help! HVAC system won’t stop blowing air…

CAWood

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I started the car up after I had driven it about 7 hours earlier, and immediately the car started blowing air out of the vents which I thought was unusual as it was set to auto. I fiddled around with it trying to change fan speed and temps and even turn it off completely but it was stuck on. After stopping and turning the car off it is still blowing. I have tried to turn the car on and off again and it is still sat blowing after a couple of hours. Any ideas??? Thanks

Mine hardly blows at all...... I'd probably try a battery negative terminal disconnect and leave it for half an hour....

Last edited:
I started the car up after I had driven it about 7 hours earlier, and immediately the car started blowing air out of the vents which I thought was unusual as it was set to auto. I fiddled around with it trying to change fan speed and temps and even turn it off completely but it was stuck on. After stopping and turning the car off it is still blowing. I have tried to turn the car on and off again and it is still sat blowing after a couple of hours. Any ideas??? Thanks
One thing that prevents the vehicle locking is the boot not closed properly. Try slamming the boot and lock the car again. See if it helps.

Wait you mean the car is off but the fans are blowing??

Wait you mean the car is off but the fans are blowing??
I had a similar issue the day I picked up the car last week from the dealership. That is, having driven it home I opened the car door several hours later and the fans kicked in at typhoon strength (it did not respond to any buttons presses to turn them off).

I eventually had to turn the car on, disable the auto - aircon, then turn the car off again. Subsequently I have been able to get into the car without the fans going ballistic and have been able to turn the aircon back to "Auto" without this occurring again.

BTW I raised this with the dealer (who had come out to check the Engine warning light - which had come on less than 20K from pickup :)
The indication was that this was expected behaviour (which I disputed) as the car is trying to cool the car to what I had previously had whilst driving hours earlier. Even though (1) I was not in the car and (2) the Aircon would not run without the engine (software bug perhaps?)

I had a similar issue the day I picked up the car last week from the dealership. That is, having driven it home I opened the car door several hours later and the fans kicked in at typhoon strength (it did not respond to any buttons presses to turn them off).

I eventually had to turn the car on, disable the auto - aircon, then turn the car off again. Subsequently I have been able to get into the car without the fans going ballistic and have been able to turn the aircon back to "Auto" without this occurring again.

BTW I raised this with the dealer (who had come out to check the Engine warning light - which had come on less than 20K from pickup :)
The indication was that this was expected behaviour (which I disputed) as the car is trying to cool the car to what I had previously had whilst driving hours earlier. Even though (1) I was not in the car and (2) the Aircon would not run without the engine (software bug perhaps?)
The fans will start circulating air upon unlocking, regardless of what settings were set before. It should stop when opening the door or, if you're too fast, as soon as the ignition turns on.
However, the Emira has had some problems when opening the door too fast after unlocking it which results in some sort of unexpected behaviour.

UPDATE:

The car did not stop blowing air after trying everything, even took it for another run out and tried all combinations of a/c temp, fan speed, direction and eventually turned it off completely for the rest of the journey. The car continued to blow air while turned off and locked all night and the battery was dead by the time I came to the car this morning.

The fans will start circulating air upon unlocking, regardless of what settings were set before. It should stop when opening the door or, if you're too fast, as soon as the ignition turns on.
However, the Emira has had some problems when opening the door too fast after unlocking it which results in some sort of unexpected behaviour.
Begs the question of what is too fast? I would normally unlock the car as I come up to it and subsequently open the door.
Also in this case the fan was running at absolute max and would not react to any HVAC controls. Thankfully it does not appear to have happened again, though as you say the fans do still come on. Just now at a just audible level.

Begs the question of what is too fast? I would normally unlock the car as I come up to it and subsequently open the door.
Also in this case the fan was running at absolute max and would not react to any HVAC controls. Thankfully it does not appear to have happened again, though as you say the fans do still come on. Just now at a just audible level.
I honestly don’t know/ haven’t figured it out yet. Not that it should be a valid reason to go nuts anyway

I had this with my last Evora 400 and had to remove the fuse to stop the fan even when locked.
It turned out to be a heating pack which the dealer replaced.
It was the only fault I had with the car in 5 years.

I thought the car went to ignition position 1 when the key is close enough to the car, rather than on unlocking? It certainly is at 1 when you open the door, so everything electrical will come on at the previous settings including radio and AC. If AC is set to Auto that means it’ll start trying to heat/cool to the previously set temperature.

I thought the car went to ignition position 1 when the key is close enough to the car, rather than on unlocking? It certainly is at 1 when you open the door, so everything electrical will come on at the previous settings including radio and AC. If AC is set to Auto that means it’ll start trying to heat/cool to the previously set temperature.
Any idea what that distance might be? The car is in the garage the other side of the wall to my home office so kicking off the electrics because I happen to be at my desk 2 metres away sounds like a good way to run down the battery

Any idea what that distance might be? The car is in the garage the other side of the wall to my home office so kicking off the electrics because I happen to be at my desk 2 metres away sounds like a good way to run down the battery
The range of Bluetooth is about 30 ft. which is about 9 metres.

The range of Bluetooth is about 30 ft. which is about 9 metres.
The key-to-car communication is not likely to be 2.4ghz Bluetooth. Usually car fobs use lower frequency ranges (for distance) combined with rolling code encryption.

I’m not sure what the range is but it’s another reason to put your keys in a Faraday pouch or metal box!

my car is doing exactly this today. Had to disconnect the battery to stop it, left disconnected battery for over 1hr and reconnected and fans blow immediately. No response to the fan speed button either .

my car is doing exactly this today. Had to disconnect the battery to stop it, left disconnected battery for over 1hr and reconnected and fans blow immediately. No response to the fan speed button either .
I had to take mine in to Lotus the next day as mine didn’t stop either, was told it’s a resistor problem that basically isn’t sealed in from factory so when it gets wet it’s fried. Think it’s becoming a common issue now in the UK due to the wet weather. Was told that upon being replaced they (Central Lotus) will seal it in to prevent the same problem occuring.

B&C replaced the resister pack with a new sealed one + additional dealer sealing where it meets the loom (think thats what the service manager said)

I also had new wiper motor and a new raft of software updates after only having them done last month there is more come through apparently,

Only had the car a day pretty much as they have done so many now it takes them about 5hrs as opposed to the 9+hr plus its supposed too.

B&C replaced the resister pack with a new sealed one + additional dealer sealing where it meets the loom (think thats what the service manager said)

I also had new wiper motor and a new raft of software updates after only having them done last month there is more come through apparently,

Only had the car a day pretty much as they have done so many now it takes them about 5hrs as opposed to the 9+hr plus its supposed too.
Glad you got it sorted so quickly, I am still without mine and likely will be for possibly a couple of weeks.

Hello I had a similar problem except when mine went off it never came back on , in Lotus Glasgow today getting fixed …will ask exactly what they did and share it with you , clearly a common one as seen a few mention it …only took them a few days to order part, fix and back to me so no hassle