• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Ignition Coils Susceptible to Water and Corrosion

Time2Fly

2024 DV FE Owner
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Two weeks ago I lost total power while driving. My ODB2 scanner showed a permanent failure of all six ignition coils.

The dealer inspected it and determined that coils 3 and 5 were corroded, and had failed then shorted, taking the fuse that controls all six. He said he expects to see this from more cars as they were right under the water drain from the rear tray around the boot, and his suspicion is that water pouring on them caused the issue. He thinks we might get a TSB from it.

Here's a problem: how do we wash our cars in the meantime if doing so risks talking these out?

Two weeks ago I lost total power while driving. My ODB2 scanner showed a permanent failure of all six ignition coils.

The dealer inspected it and determined that coils 3 and 5 were corroded, and had failed then shorted, taking the fuse that controls all six. He said he expects to see this from more cars as they were right under the water drain from the rear tray around the boot, and his suspicion is that water pouring on them caused the issue. He thinks we might get a TSB from it.

Here's a problem: how do we wash our cars in the meantime if doing so risks talking these out?
place a towel over the gap between engine and boot to absorb most of the ingress?

Unless it's from the drain holes around the forward boot edge.

What a bizarre design. From what I remember because of the rear lip spoiler alot of water collects on the trunk lid and drains into the engine Bay Area instead of rolling off the back of the car. If they didnt account for that - I just don’t get it. One wash and it’s obvious tons of water collects and drains into that area.

Well after several engine management lights, new lambda sensor, HVAC fix, 2 new doors, rear quarter and paint job I think I like to take a break from getting this issue. 😝