Is it possible to tint the rear glass?

luciddaydream

Emira Fanatic
Joined
Aug 17, 2023
Messages
305
Media
8
Reaction score
232
Is it possible to tint the rear glass above the engine? I was always opposed to this look but now I think it would look badass.
I talked to a tinter and he said no due to the heat.

But maybe something could be placed on top of the glass?
 
Yes. I have my rear tinted (cabin to engine) at 70% and then the engine bay itself tinted at 70% to make an effective 49% tint from cabin to outside. It's held up just fine.
 
My dealer also said don't tint it due to the heat. I ended up not tinting but not because of that. I just wanted to leave the engine bay open. I have 35 on the sides and 50 ceramic on the windshield. I don't think the heat would be an issue.
 
My tint shop also said no due to the engine heat. Lotus Dallas service suggested changing out the rear hatch glass to the privacy glass. Seemed like a huge change/expense for basically a cosmetic reason at the time when they mentioned it. However with my side windows done and the black pack on my car, I feel like it would look so much better with the rear hatch glass tinted.
 
Mine had the privacy glass and I had it tinted with 70%.
What's the concern regarding heat? That heat will melt the tint?
 
How about asking the dealer if any Emira owner would like to switch their privacy glass to not privacy?

Maybe the Dealer could take your name and contact, so if a customer comes to buy a Emira and doesn't want the privacy, then they call you and you to do the switch. Dealer should do it free if it sells the car.

lot of people does it for the wheels, why not the glass? cost nothing to ask!

Other solution would be to post on your local Emira owner group chat to see if any would like to switch; though you would have to pay for the labor time.
 
How about asking the dealer if any Emira owner would like to switch their privacy glass to not privacy?

Maybe the Dealer could take your name and contact, so if a customer comes to buy a Emira and doesn't want the privacy, then they call you and you to do the switch. Dealer should do it free if it sells the car.

lot of people does it for the wheels, why not the glass? cost nothing to ask!

Other solution would be to post on your local Emira owner group chat to see if any would like to switch; though you would have to pay for the labor time.
Nice thoughts! Worth a try. Thanks!
 
Pretty shure windows can get more hot from the sun than from engine heat. It's not expensive to try anyway, just like I did.
 
Does the glass get hotter than a bonnet where the engine sits right underneath as well?
 

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Supporting Vendors View all →

Latest posts

Back
Top