Is there any objective or subjective evidence that UK build quality is improving over time?

Type131

Reaction score
I have tried to convince myself that the inordinate delivery delays we have experienced in North America may ultimately translate to better build quality in the final product. Increasingly though, I wonder if I have fallen victim to magical thinking. Is there any evidence from owners of recent Uk builds that Lotus has learned from their mistakes and fixed the problems?

I have tried to convince myself that the inordinate delivery delays we have experienced in North America may ultimately translate to better build quality in the final product. Increasingly though, I wonder if I have fallen victim to magical thinking. Is there any evidence from owners of recent Uk builds that Lotus has learned from their mistakes and fixed the problems?
I've asked myself the same question. Here's all the data points that I can think of:
  • This 6-page poll thread asked whether anyone has received an Emira with no issues. About 60% of respondents report that their car has either no issues or only minor issues. This is up from 54% a few months ago, and it's great to see this number climbing, slowly but surely.
  • then every now and again we'll see one-off replies by forum members such as this one posted today, indicating that they've had nothing but good experiences with their cars so far
So for me the bottom line is: I'm cautiously optimistic.

I've asked myself the same question. Here's all the data points that I can think of:
  • This 6-page poll thread asked whether anyone has received an Emira with no issues. About 60% of respondents report that their car has either no issues or only minor issues. This is up from 54% a few months ago, and it's great to see this number climbing, slowly but surely.
  • then every now and again we'll see one-off replies by forum members such as this one posted today, indicating that they've had nothing but good experiences with their cars so far
So for me the bottom line is: I'm cautiously optimistic.
Yeah but Canadians are optimistic about everything! 😜

But seriously I’m buying this position as well. Also, I never had a single issue with my Elise.

I think it is completely fair to say that North American customers have benefited from Europe (and other select markets) being the beta testers.

Whether it is up to the standard expected by all NA customers yet is debatable I suppose...

I've had my V6 Manual for 2 weeks and now covered 625 miles - not a single issue so far. I would have thought anything obvious would have shown by now.

I read through the 39 page thread of issues and made a note of each one and I'm using that to reference things plus my general driving observations - all is good so far!

I've probably cursed the car now having typed this :)

I'm sure it's getting better. The fractured brake pads and some of the paint issues were mostly due to the initial cars sitting outside for months before being delivered. Granted, there have been many other issues reported, but it's been over a year since ROW deliveries began. I think the bigger concern is North America dealer support and their ability to quickly and efficiently handle warranty work and recalls as needed. Only time will tell...

I've had my V6 Manual for 2 weeks and now covered 625 miles - not a single issue so far. I would have thought anything obvious would have shown by now.

I read through the 39 page thread of issues and made a note of each one and I'm using that to reference things plus my general driving observations - all is good so far!

I've probably cursed the car now having typed this :)
No offense, but 625 miles is only tank two of gas. Not broken in yet. Respond back in a couple thousand miles as to how your doing.

Also, if there was a persistent major issue(s)s wouldn't it have been picked up and reported on by a magazine by now? They don't tend to report about general quality issues but if there is a lot of noise about an engine, transmission, brakes etc they usually may write an article. Anyone heard/seen anything?

I hope you’re right. Many of us live very far from a Lotus dealership, and I’m not clear on who foots the bill for a several hundred mile tow should something happen.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back