Lexus LC500

Concept24

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I’m in similar boat as you. Came from BMW/MB, then went to Honda/Toyota/Acura/Lexus for dependability and worry free driving. Emira will be my first UK car too. Here’s hoping the Emira doesn’t disappoint. Could have went with LC500 with a V8! 🤔
I rented an LC500 via turo.com for 24 hours. It is a very heavy but ultimate GT car with amazing sound and spectacular interior. If I could, I'd have an LC500 or 500h convertible and an Emira.
At Jerry_Raquel house.jpg

Last edited:
I rented an LC500 via turo.com for 24 hours. It is a very heavy but ultimate GT car with amazing sound and spectacular interior. If I could, I'd have an LC500 or 500h convertible and an Emira.
If the LC500 was manual I would have definitely picked one up

If the LC500 was manual I would have definitely picked one up
The LC500? Every time I think of this car I remember being behind one briefly on a track and laughing out loud how unsettled the car was in the corner. It literally looked like it was going to roll over. I was actually laughing hysterically there was so much body roll. Agree it is a pretty car but I do not even know if it can be classified as a GT car. I think it is more like a Cadillac cruiser. Pretty design though.

The LC500? Every time I think of this car I remember being behind one briefly on a track and laughing out loud how unsettled the car was in the corner. It literally looked like it was going to roll over. I was actually laughing hysterically there was so much body roll. Agree it is a pretty car but I do not even know if it can be classified as a GT car. I think it is more like a Cadillac cruiser. Pretty design though.
There are various trim levels that enhance performance. One of my neighbors once had a C5 Corvette without the Z51 option. When he tracked the car, its transmission would overheat. That base model was never intended for track use. The LC500, at over 4000 lbs in weight was never intended for track use, I can say without a doubt that it is among the best at high speed grand touring in comfort is a high priority. I believe its top speed is about 180 and even the LC500 (non-hybrid) gets 30 MPG at 70 MPH.
The one I rented reminded me of a Jaguar F-Type but with a better interior.

There are various trim levels that enhance performance. One of my neighbors once had a C5 Corvette without the Z51 option. When he tracked the car, its transmission would overheat. That base model was never intended for track use. The LC500, at over 4000 lbs in weight was never intended for track use, I can say without a doubt that it is among the best at high speed grand touring in comfort is a high priority. I believe its top speed is about 180 and even the LC500 (non-hybrid) gets 30 MPG at 70 MPH.
They are definitely a great looking car(y)

The interior is quite cool but looks like an interior of the future designed in 1970's, infact the whole car has a bit of that about it. It's a good looking car but at 48 I'm at least 12yrs to young for a lexis and Alan Partridge drive one 😄

The interior is quite cool but looks like an interior of the future designed in 1970's, infact the whole car has a bit of that about it. It's a good looking car but at 48 I'm at least 12yrs to young for a lexis and Alan Partridge drive one 😄
Check out the Savage Geese video review on youtube. Mark is younger than you are, and he was so impressed with the LC500 that he has one, himself.

I agree with the several points made by those who have concerns about the Emira, sadly. I mean, it's been my dream car!

But I got to be honest here, I'm not a wealthy guy. I don't have a big house with a multicar garage with other fancy cars.

I have been saving up for this car. It will eat a significant chunk of my savings to have it. Don't judge me or my choices, but it was supposed to be a special gift to myself, a once in a lifetime gift.

It's not for attention, nor being seen, it's because I fell in love with the car when I saw it and test drove it. I have a strong emotional connection to cars and motorcycles. All that matters is that they're special to me, no one else.

At this price point, USD $110K, I don't have an option for the car to be problematic. I learned towork on my own cars, clutches, transmissions, brakes, etc. But not for brand new cars, no point or fun in that. And you need the right tools, which gets costly and time-consuming. And if the parts aren't available for the car nor the tools, you're stuck.

So for those of you wealthier who have the means to have a higher risk tolerance and more choices with your other expensive vehicles, then that's great. I'm happy for you and honestly a little jealous.

But for me, the cons seem to be outweighing the benefits, and my rational mind is trying it's hardest to convince my emotional heart to let the car go... And I think I'm just about to do that now.

Thank you for reading my post.
Hey, it's easy to drift. I'm a moderator on a Lexus forum and I've drifted over here. Fortunately, almost all of my comments are about the Emira.
Which Lexus forum? I’m a mod on one too but I’ve been absent for a long time. 😑

Lexus are no doubt a bit boring of a car, but no question they are the absolute best built mass manufactured vehicles. The quality in the higher end Lexus lines (LS, LC, LX) is about as good as it gets in terms of build quality for under 120k

There's a lot to love about the LC500: gorgeous exterior & interior, intoxicating NA v8, and Lexus reliability, but I couldn't see how it would fit in my garage as anything other than a 4th or 5th car. It's got small backseats, a tiny boot, terrible gas mileage, and it most certainly is not the type of vehicle one normally takes to the track.

So basically, you've got a car that:
1. You can't make Costco runs with it
2. Can't take it on a longer trip because you can hardly fit any luggage
3. Has backseats that are too small even for kids
4. Can't really enjoy the track or twisties with it
5. Made of expensive parts -> high insurance
6. Will cost you a lot in gas

Leaving you with only a couple of compelling use cases:
1. Commuting
2. Weekend trips
3. Small grocery runs

But…. that engine is truly intoxicating, and sometimes I dream of another universe where the Emira has a trim with the 2UR.

It looks like you've forgotten about the LC500h which gets excellent fuel mileage for the acceleration times.
But either one is a great road trip car:
1. Very quiet
2. Very comfortable
3. Fast
4. Can fit plenty of luggage if you use both the trunk and the back seat. (Remember how many people praised the Evora for having that little back seat?)
5. Incredibly reliable, so forget about buying replacement parts for 20 years or more
6. Just as unique as a Lotus, even in large cities
7. You can enjoy the twisties.
8. Very economical (LC500h - city and highway) or roadtrip-economical (LC500 that gets 30 MPG on the highway)
So I guess the eye of the beholder is quite different in this case. :sneaky:

Not the LC, but I've been looking into IS500 as a fun family car. Thoughts or other suggestions? Last time I test drove an IS350 back in 2006, I ended up with a BMW and never looked back. Now in 2023, the IS is like an old school new car that you can buy with a NA V8. Minister of Finance has approved it as she does not think that Evora 2+2 makes for a great family car (my kids and I disagree). So at the end, it may be an IS500 + either the Evora or the Emira.

Not the LC, but I've been looking into IS500 as a fun family car. Thoughts or other suggestions? Last time I test drove an IS350 back in 2006, I ended up with a BMW and never looked back. Now in 2023, the IS is like an old school new car that you can buy with a NA V8. Minister of Finance has approved it as she does not think that Evora 2+2 makes for a great family car (my kids and I disagree). So at the end, it may be an IS500 + either the Evora or the Emira.
that car will last until you die. incredible value and nice v8 grunt. perfect.

The IC500, a real "sleeper" does have the same engine as the LC500.
It is not an economical car in the city but as long as you're okay with that, go for it. It is half the price of the LC.

I must also add that my Mazdas have been very reliable as well (although not quite on the same level of Toyota/Lexus).
There is a rumor that Toyota may resurrect the MR2, which would likely be a very reliable car that handles well.
The LC500h would make for a great city car and cruiser, especially here in CA where fuel is over $5/gallon.
Rumor has it that the 2025 MR2 will have a Suzuki engine. Not sure how reliable Suzuki engines are. LC500 is a luxurious cruiser, and I may decide to pull the trigger on it. It will depend on how much the Emira will cost when it’s time time to lock in my Emira order. If the Emira price doesn’t make sense, the LC500 may be a good alternative. I’d prolly go with the V8, there’s certainly no replacement for displacement when to comes to how smooth a V8 runs.

Rumor has it that the 2025 MR2 will have a Suzuki engine. Not sure how reliable Suzuki engines are. LC500 is a luxurious cruiser, and I may decide to pull the trigger on it. It will depend on how much the Emira will cost when it’s time time to lock in my Emira order. If the Emira price doesn’t make sense, the LC500 may be a good alternative. I’d prolly go with the V8, there’s certainly no replacement for displacement when to comes to how smooth a V8 runs.
The Toyota/Lexus V6 is very smooth, also. It just doesn't sound as nice. The problem is that I love driving, but with fuel at sky-high prices (CA trying to get everyone to buy EVs, only), the LC500h is very tempting. (tough choice for me)

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back