• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Overheating in traffic

JClem

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So today was my first little problem I’ve had since picking it up in July.

I got stuck in tailbacks on the M25 crawling along at 5mph. After about 20mins the temp started to rise and a warning for engine coolant came up on the dashboard. Fortunately the traffic was so bad I managed to switch the engine off for 10 minutes to let it cool.

Once I managed to get off the M25 at the next junction and back to normal driving speeds the temps fell.

I’ve been stuck in traffic before and this has never happened. Could this mean a failure of the fan that brings air in to the engine bay through the side? Interestingly in normal situations I can see hot air being released from the front at standstill but didn’t notice anything on this occasion.

Methinks more related to the electric fan(s) on the engine coolant radiator behind the front bumper vs the engine bay fan at the back. Does anyone know at what coolant temps and possibly A/C settings the electric fans are supposed to switch on? Are they single-speed or dual?

edit: and is your coolant level ok?

I think you might be right as normally you can see the heat haze coming from the front vents which was completely absent this time.

Didn’t have time to check the levels as I wash rushing for a flight but will check in a few days.

This sounds very much like the same thing. Really hope it doesn’t take months to resolve like @shaank emira did!!!

Will be giving B&C a call tomorrow.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back