• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Quandary - To Test Drive or Not to Test Drive?

Silver Storm

Emira Fan
Reaction score
So my local dealer has reached out, they are providing test drives for a limited time (May 24-27) for all deposit holders only. Here’s the problem…test car comes in manual only. Although I understand the basics of manual shifting (and have driven manual a few times), I don’t feel comfortable driving one. And it’s been years since I've touched a manual. Should I go ahead and book it, knowing I’m gonna really suck driving it? Or just skip the drive test? Or have the dealer rep drive and I enjoy the ride? Oh gawd, what a dilemma! 😭😖

So my local dealer has reached out, they are providing test drives for a limited time (May 24-27) for all deposit holders only. Here’s the problem…test car comes in manual only. Although I understand the basics of manual shifting (and have driven manual a few times), I don’t feel comfortable driving one. And it’s been years since I've touched a manual. Should I go ahead and book it, knowing I’m gonna really suck driving it? Or just skip the drive test? Or have the dealer rep drive and I enjoy the ride? Oh gawd, what a dilemma! 😭😖
I would be renting or borrowing a manual car for the next three weeks and practise. Haha.

Realistically I would ask to be driven around in it if your don’t feel comfortable or pass the test drive, but still go and see the car of course.

I had to test drive a manual, not driven one in years, was fine. Still got to feel the power, and how the car moves etc. Im getting an Auto, but still think it was worth it. I have not tested the auto... just buy hope its great. :/

To me, it wouldn't be the right thing to do. I don't think it's "fair and reasonable" to test-drive a manual Emira unless you are proficient at driving stick.

I would take the passenger ride personally. I've ordered the I4. I drive manual regularly but I still found it quite alien as the clutch is heavier than I'm used to and the gear shift takes some getting used to. I stalled it a couple of times at the start which seems very common. I found myself being too focused on the manual aspects and not enough on the driver experience. This and the lack of good roads meant that I didn't really take much away from my test drive.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I’ve booked for the test drive on May 24th, and will ride shot run. I told the Lotus rep about my extremely limited manual experience, and he said no problem he can drive. In fact he’s appreciative because he doesn’t get any time behind the wheel (during test drives for deposit holders), and this is one of the few opportunities he gets to drive the Emira himself. 😂 I will take pics and enjoy the ride. ✌️

Thanks everyone for your comments. I’ve booked for the test drive on May 24th, and will ride shot run. I told the Lotus rep about my extremely limited manual experience, and he said no problem he can drive. In fact he’s appreciative because he doesn’t get any time behind the wheel (during test drives for deposit holders), and this is one of the few opportunities he gets to drive the Emira himself. 😂 I will take pics and enjoy the ride. ✌️
Good for you. I suggest you think about what you want to get out of the experience (ie what would constitute a successful trip). For me it was the feel of the Emira plus the ergonomics. Driver engagement makes for a very enjoyable drive. There are lots of reasons to fall in love with a car. Ponder what would make that possible for you.
I was elated with my Lotus Esprit and reinvigorated by the Emira.
Share how it goes and what it meant to you.

At some point someone will ask, 'How is the car?' To respond 'It's a Lotus' needs no further explanation. Car folks know.

Make sure you sit in the drivers seat though - get an initial feel for seat, pedals etc. And if you have a quiet, straight bit of road you can always just do a couple of clunky gear changes to get to third and play a bit... even if it's only for a few hundred yards.

Spanish Banks? I'm test driving there on Thursday 25th, really looking forward to it!

Enjoy your drive! I can't tell you how different driving my Emira (almost 1k miles) is to my original test drive. Yes I stalled twice in 45mins, so not too bad :LOL: though once was due to the parking brake, but as others have said there's a lot of mental capacity being wasted on just managing the gears so it's hard to tune into how it feels in that moment. That'll all change within a day or two of ownership and it feels very intuitive and very enjoyable to drive.

Enjoy your drive! I can't tell you how different driving my Emira (almost 1k miles) is to my original test drive. Yes I stalled twice in 45mins, so not too bad :LOL: though once was due to the parking brake, but as others have said there's a lot of mental capacity being wasted on just managing the gears so it's hard to tune into how it feels in that moment. That'll all change within a day or two of ownership and it feels very intuitive and very enjoyable to drive.
You're spot on. The first drive feels a bit alien as you're getting accustomed to the steering/cluch/brakes. But when that shortly becomes second nature the true enjoyment and appreciation of the car begins. Sadly there's not enough time during a short test drive to get to this point.

Go for a test drive but.... I did one in Kent on wet roads in the V6 manual. Was left feeling unsure - something didnt seem right. I changed my order to the I4... then I spend a day on the track at Hethel with it in terrible rain and OMG I was blown away. Do the test drive but be aware you are nowhere near what the car is capable of. It is a very different beast when you go to 120mph and brake hard before a bend on a wet surface. You will never know that on a dealer test drive.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one having trouble with the manual. I ride a motorbike for my commute and have not driven a manual car in years, so naturally I stalled twice at the start, and once at the end coming to a stop. I could see the potential of the car, but I was not able to really get a good experience since I spent so much of my mental capacity trying to shift smoothly and finding the catch point on the clutch.

Agree 100% with what people have said about the first test drive. I'm looking forward to returning for a second go in the I4 when it's finally available. I think I'll get a lot more next time without needing to focus on the manual shift plus also having some general familiarity carried over from the last drive. Also, knowing the route a little better!

On part of the test drive, could you find a large parking lot with a downhill slope in part of it and drive that part in lot? Put the car in 2nd pointing downhill starting out and just drive around the open lot in 2nd to get the feel of the car etc.