• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Smoke in engine bay - help!

1stLotus

Emira of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Saw smoke in the engine bay today and it’s got me freaking out! The one thing I noticed was that upon start, it did not have the normal drive mode options, it only showed track. I turned off the car and on again, and it did the same thing.

After parking to open the trunk, the car had the normal drive modes back up. I’ve driven it a couple miles and so far so good.

For context, I have over 2k miles and the dealer changed the oil at 1k.

Wondering if something went wrong with the ECU that caused it.

Any help would be great!

That's a new one… I recommend a visit to the dealer.

Sometimes right after an oil change new or old oil can accidentally fall on to a hot section of the motor or exhaust piping and cause smoke when that section heats up.. You've already driven 1k miles since then, so you can definitely rule that out and , as Nova mentions above, I'd also recommend that you take it to the dealer, because it's not a good sign and you don't want to run the risk of causing further damage.

Last edited:
Thank you! The oil change was done 1k miles ago.

I ended up continuing to drive the car after the drive modes went normal - and I drove it hard for a couple of hours. Good news is it didn’t happen again.

I’m wondering if the ecu glitched out when I tried to change drive modes while the system was booting up?

I lifted the covers to see if anything spilled and the only other thing I can think of is I was on a hill and perhaps some of the overflow reservoir spilled? I don’t think it was black smoke, rather more white.

I’m totally taking it to the dealer to deal with my other L.O.T.U.S. issues.

Thanks all for chiming in. I’ll let you know what they say.

Dealer didn’t find any codes and couldn’t duplicate the smoke. Fortunately it appears to be a one off. Perhaps some water from a wash or spill from one of the reservoir.