• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Squeak when letting foot of clutch?

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi there
Sorry if this has been mentioned -- I did a search and I cold not find it.
Just wondering if anyone has experienced a squeak when they let a foot off clutch?
Any quick fixes for this?
Thanks

does it only happen when engaging a gear and engine running? or also when in N? or also when the engine is not running? does it sound like it's coming from the footwell (pedal) or behind you (transmission)?

I've had this on a few cars over the years -- I think it's just a matter of a little grease on the pedal pivot mechanism.

I think I know what you mean if it's not the obvious ungreased pedal itself.
Sound is coming from behind / transmission.
Happens if you depress the clutch hard/fast while downshifting and not at the right RPM for the gear I think.
Good news (?) is that my car did it from the early beginning when a experienced driver on a track did a few test laps in the car. Maybe not being used to the car led to him not shifting correctly / optimally. Or maybe it's completely fine and I just don't know better.

I found this on the web when searching for similar sounding descriptions and one lad suggested this:
The whining sound you are hearing is the transmission straining to bring the engine up to speed against manifold vacuum.
which would align with my theory above, whatever "against manifold vacuum" is supposed to be

Last edited:
Back