• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Tackling scratches to paintwork

danmessy

Reaction score
Car parked next to mine in a apartment block got their window smashed and broken in to. I thought I got away with no damage, but once it was able to get in close for a look found some pretty nasty scratching 😔 photos below.. what's my best approach to fix / touch this up? Also, can confirm occured during break in as day before I had just done a full wash and went over every inch of the car, I would have seen. Photo of newly washer and shiny car included below for positive end to this post!!
20230821_135918.jpg
20230821_135914.jpg
20230821_135912.jpg
20230820_174456.jpg

BarryH

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Car parked next to mine in a apartment block got their window smashed and broken in to. I thought I got away with no damage, but once it was able to get in close for a look found some pretty nasty scratching 😔 photos below.. what's my best approach to fix / touch this up? Also, can confirm occured during break in as day before I had just done a full wash and went over every inch of the car, I would have seen. Photo of newly washer and shiny car included below for positive end to this post!!View attachment 30583View attachment 30584View attachment 30585View attachment 30586
Very sorry to hear about the car!
Frankly it is one of the worries I have getting one of these in Oz. The number of D*heads we have who feel justified in damaging other people's "pride and joy" because it is better than what they have :-(
Also smashing a window proves they are complete amateurs!!

I'm going through the PPF or no-PPF quandary and I believe your miss-fortune has made that decision for me.

DJManc

Reaction score
Car parked next to mine in a apartment block got their window smashed and broken in to. I thought I got away with no damage, but once it was able to get in close for a look found some pretty nasty scratching 😔 photos below.. what's my best approach to fix / touch this up? Also, can confirm occured during break in as day before I had just done a full wash and went over every inch of the car, I would have seen. Photo of newly washer and shiny car included below for positive end to this post!!View attachment 30583View attachment 30584View attachment 30585View attachment 30586
You must be absolutely gutted, I really feel your pain! I would recommend a good machine polish first. It may just get the majority of the marks out. However, if you can feel a definite ridge in the lacquer/top coat with you finger nail, it will likely need professional Smart Repairer or bodyshop attention unfortunately.

OP
D

danmessy

Reaction score
Very sorry to hear about the car!
Frankly it is one of the worries I have getting one of these in Oz. The number of D*heads we have who feel justified in damaging other people's "pride and joy" because it is better than what they have :-(
Also smashing a window proves they are complete amateurs!!

I'm going through the PPF or no-PPF quandary and I believe your miss-fortune has made that decision for me.
I opted for "front end" .. whole PPF would be nice now :(

OP
D

danmessy

Reaction score
You must be absolutely gutted, I really feel your pain! I would recommend a good machine polish first. It may just get the majority of the marks out. However, if you can feel a definite ridge in the lacquer/top coat with you finger nail, it will likely need professional Smart Repairer or bodyshop attention unfortunately.
I gave it a slight rub with QD and microfibre, some of it is deep (can feel), some cleaned up, but I think it will need professional to touch it up. It's not the end of the world, just feels like dropping your baby on its head for the first time... Not that I have kids, but I imagine that's what it feels like hahah

MaybeNeedEmira

Reaction score
Yeah .. second time you drop/scratch them much less traumatic.

That's a bugger though, and likewise re evaluating doors for PPF.
I know I can be careful.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I would let a detailer take a look at that. Some of it may be cleaned/polished out.