• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

The 1st Edition isn't exclusive

brainf18

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
When Lotus announced the Emira 1st Edition there was an implied level of exclusivity for early adopters. While Lotus never really committed to firm limited production #'s for the 1st Edition, their marketing materials implied that it would be a limited run and guarantee rarity. That certainly has not proven true.

One of the primary reasons I opted for the Emira 1st Edition in stead of my 14th Porsche, was the fact that one 911 looks like every other 911 and unless your a hard core porschefile its difficult to tell them apart. They've become so ubiquitous P-cars have lost their appeal to me.

It seems that all (or nearly all) of Emira production thus far has been "first edition" versions. That's got to be over 10000 FE cars world wide. So there's nothing exclusive about that. I'm still happy with my purchase but this bait and switch unkept promise by Lotus is just another in a very long list of poor communications and unfulfilled promises by the company.

I'm wondering if anyone else feels similarly

1st ed.jpg

Last edited:
On the one hand, you’re right.

On the other hand? You’re probably right on that hand too, frankly.

Once the “First Edition” expanded the color options and made a de facto FE 2.0, it became obvious to me that it wasn’t a truly limited production. I’m probably OK with that because I didn’t order my car caring one bit about its relative rarity among Emiras. I probably have the only road-worthy Lotus in a 50 mile radius anyway.

Lotus being Lotus, don’t you expect to be snookered a bit? Not even on purpose, really, as I think the FE thing was at least in part the product of a bunch of delays and perhaps unfortunate corporate decisions.

Looking through the pages of the book Lotus sent while we were all waiting for our cars to be delivered, I was amazed at how many ways Lotus was able to reinvent the Elise and Evora over their lifespans. I thought American car manufacturers were bad about making Sticker Specials!

Only 50 of this Elise with a 5 mm lower suspension, only 25 of that Exige with a Union Jack sticker and extra deep carbon splitter, 3 Evoras with 10% stiffer dampeners and an Alcantara shift knob, etc., etc.

All to say you’re right but I guess it doesn’t matter to me. It just adds to the Lotus story.

If they discontinue some aspects of the FE like the v6 manual then it will feel a bit more exclusive because no more will be built.

But you’re 100% correct on the Porsche. I like asking my wife for fun. She has no idea what a GT3 touring is vs a base 911. And if you like 911s that bothers you. You know it 😂😉

Oddly, part of the mystique to me is the idea that Lotus is still somewhat of a cottage car maker that’s gotten by on wits and outside the box thinking despite limited resources.

I know this isn’t exactly the case, as Geely owns them and I have seen the videos of the new factory. It ain’t like Morgan, where someone is steaming ash frames over the same kettle that they’ll be serving Earl Grey from between 3:30-5:00. But this pretend image I’ve created helps me feel better when my Emira won’t start until I’ve locked and unlocked the doors 5 times.

If they discontinue some aspects of the FE like the v6 manual then it will feel a bit more exclusive because no more will be built.

But you’re 100% correct on the Porsche. I like asking my wife for fun. She has no idea what a GT3 touring is vs a base 911. And if you like 911s that bothers you. You know it 😂😉

“No honey, that’s a Turbo S! It’s different than a regular, plebeian Turbo. Can’t you tell the difference?”

I suppose I always assumed that FE just meant 'all the options at an introductory price'. Since I got a 1.0, expectations met. Didn't read more in to it than that.
I got the lower price too… beautiful car!
It’s hard to comprehend how beautiful it is. Porsche owners are always gawking, staring, admiring my Emira..

FE does seem like a con job, but the Beauty is real and so is the fun… Have only see 2 in the wild
1 Salsalito, California
2 McAllen Texas the guy in McAllen also has an Evora…

they certainly made more than expected but its still like 2k or lower in the USA. not bad

still pretty rare

I believe the First Edition was meant to stream line production being a fully optioned car. Lotus became overwhelmed with orders so they probably kept it in production longer than anticipated. It now seems like their vision has shifted to making all MY24's as FE'S. I do like the fact that my I4 will have a First Edition Badge, even though they don't have a limited production run.

Last edited:
I believe the First Edition was meant to stream line production as a fully optioned car. Lotus became overwhelmed with orders so they probably kept it in production longer than anticipated. It now seems like their vision has shifted to making all MY24's as FE'S. In all honesty, I do like the fact that my I4 will have a First Edition Badge. Even though they don't have a limited production run.
The FEs were loaded and high profit (after the increase). So why not offer more to appease the NA market which initially had 2200 deposits and 700 allocations (up from 600) in 2021. Who wouldn't harvest that?
They lost at least a year of production to Covid. Hardly prolific.
Roughly 2500 -3500 in NA (remember Canada?) overall is modest.
Ice Age Badging prediction:
A - First Edition
B - Emira
C - Final Edition

To me, the edition probably doesn't matter as much as the overall rarity of the model, which is going to remain quite rare. IMO, the FE cars were never going to be that special. It's whatever hot "S" version that they end the production with, that is the most appealing to future buyers.

Just wait until the First Edition 3.0s come out with +20 HP. 😂

Joking.. but seriously, it was worse with the Evora rollout. Not even a year after the original naturally aspirated Evoras were delivered, Lotus decided to supercharge them AND lowered the price. Imagine how those early adopters felt. 😬

To me, the edition probably doesn't matter as much as the overall rarity of the model, which is going to remain quite rare. IMO, the FE cars were never going to be that special. It's whatever hot "S" version that they end the production with, that is the most appealing to future buyers.
This. Historically the first edition of any car is never desirable for future buyers, it's always the final edition with all the extra goodies before production stops.

Having said this, I don't care very much about exclusivity. I bought the car to drive and enjoy, not to feel superior or more special than others. If there were 100,000 Emira's on the road it wouldn't change my enjoyment of the car. I understand people buy cars for many different reasons however.

Looking through the pages of the book Lotus sent while we were all waiting for our cars to be delivered...
Speaking of that, an offline friend of mine has an I4 Emira on order (from a different dealer) and was talking about what Lotus had sent him. I haven't even gotten so much as a congratulatory email for my V6 manual. Any idea why the disparity?

Only 700 FE 1.0 were produced for an MSRP of $93,900. I was lucky enough to get one of the 1.0. For me, that's the biggest exclusivity selling point, a decent chunk of change less on the MSRP for the same car as the 2.0

Just wait until the First Edition 3.0s come out with +20 HP. 😂

Joking.. but seriously, it was worse with the Evora rollout. Not even a year after the original naturally aspirated Evoras were delivered, Lotus decided to supercharge them AND lowered the price. Imagine how those early adopters felt. 😬
This is so terrible. But they are kind of doing this with the i4 now receiving 400 Hp vs 365 or so for The earliest adopters. They should really offer a catch up tune for those at 365 since I’m certain that it is not mechanical.

Speaking of that, an offline friend of mine has an I4 Emira on order (from a different dealer) and was talking about what Lotus had sent him. I haven't even gotten so much as a congratulatory email for my V6 manual. Any idea why the disparity?

Who knows? I think different people received different gifts at different times, some no gift at all. Mine came a lot later than other forum members.

The badge itself isn't exclusive, it's just a badge. The car itself is exclusive in North America (at least for now).

They should have at least made 2 or 3 of the FE colors exclusive to FEs to make them special. I pulled my deposit once the FE 2.0s were announced with additional colors yet those of us who had deposits for the previous ~2 years weren't allowed to change our orders (even though they weren't even built yet).

Back