• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Track Day Insurance

trackday14

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with any of the below insurers for track day insurance? I’ve been tracking cars for years (including my Emira this season) and have never bought track day insurance, but I’m joining an event that I have never participated in before and don’t know any of the drivers…

• Hagerty
• Lockton
• Open Track

Open Track seems to be the best deal…Curious if anyone has had experience making a claim…

I have used Hagerty, Lockton and Ontrackinsurance personally.

I know people with experience with claims for Lockton and Ontrack and both had no issues and was a relatively quick process. I wouldn't file a claim unless it's a total loss but that is me considering these all run 10-15% deductibles.

I have only known people using Opentrack for the annual policy (Ontrackinsurance will also do an annual), but you really need to track a LOT.

I would just go with whatever policy ends up cheaper for the weekend, all the options out there right now are good.

First of all check if you even need an extra insurance. All my policies in Germany allow track days where you don’t race competitively or take round times - it’s seen as a safety training and is fully covered. If you want to be sure you can get written confirmation.

First of all check if you even need an extra insurance. All my policies in Germany allow track days where you don’t race competitively or take round times - it’s seen as a safety training and is fully covered. If you want to be sure you can get written confirmation.
Almost, if not all USA insurance providers have added exclusions in the past 10+~ years or so to exclude any event ran on a racing surface/circuit which would also exclude "driver education" type events. People have also had their policies cancelled for just inquiring if certain activity is covered.

Almost, if not all USA insurance providers have added exclusions in the past 10+~ years or so to exclude any event ran on a racing surface/circuit which would also exclude "driver education" type events. People have also had their policies cancelled for just inquiring if certain activity is covered.
Sad.

I have used Hagerty, Lockton and Ontrackinsurance personally.

I know people with experience with claims for Lockton and Ontrack and both had no issues and was a relatively quick process. I wouldn't file a claim unless it's a total loss but that is me considering these all run 10-15% deductibles.

I have only known people using Opentrack for the annual policy (Ontrackinsurance will also do an annual), but you really need to track a LOT.

I would just go with whatever policy ends up cheaper for the weekend, all the options out there right now are good.
Thanks for the feedback - especially regarding the claims process. I’m on track about twice a month from April through October, but don’t plan to use the Emira that often - so I’m not planning to do an annual policy.

Same for switzerland. Really surprised your insurance covers trackdays if you dont take laptimes… first time I hear that.
For those interested here 's my written confirmation. Maybe checking the terms throughly could reveal some surprise for some :D

(I asked to state the date on the letter, but it valid all time)

IMG_3572.jpeg