• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Track Night in America - Fun or Crazy?

Rupes

Emira Fan
Reaction score
There is a Track Night in America event coming up at Portland International Raceway later this month. I've read mixed reviews - good opportunity to get on the track at a lower cost, but also lots of amatures who might create problems.

I've done a few open track days, HPDE, and BMWCCA events at another track, but it has been over a decade, so I'm a bit rusty. What do you think is best way to get some track time in without putting myself (or my car) at unnecessary risk?

Last edited:
Your mileage may vary based on on your skills, abilities, and experience. I had a good time as a novice at track night in America. It was my first track event ever and it was a great way to get my feet wet. It was convenient and wasn't a big commitment. The only reason I haven't been back is because nearby they do it at Nashville superspeedway and I don't like the harsh transition between the infield and the oval track.

They do let people on track without much experience or instruction which can cause issues for sure. However, I've seen just as much stupid shit at full track weekend events.

Every event I've been to has had people who are bad at giving point-bys or dangerously slow on track.

It depends on what you want to get out of the event ... if just cheap track time then is ok. I've done alot of SCCA TNIA and here are my comments

- if you run intermediate, then it can get crowded because many people don't want to run novice. But is a safe env as you are limited to certain passing zones
- if you run advanced, then it can get crowded but less than intermediate but MOST people can drive. You can pass anywhere. I've had mixed results where some people don't pay attention to give the point by so you're left waiting .... but flaggers usually give the blue flag or you can flash the lights.

If you PIR in Oct, then I'll be there.

I would recommend ORP as much 'safer' track in that it has lots of run off without possibility of hitting walls. Many of my car group are doing ORP later this month as well

Also, if you are SCCA member then you save $20, Hagerty member you save $25 and several coupons float around that save another $25-$50. My last two TNIA ended up being about $100ish which is really cheap for 3 sessions

Last edited: