• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY CAR!!! PLEASE HELP

Jincook

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing some vibration in my Emira at high speeds. I can manage it by gripping the steering wheel tightly, but I wanted to reach out for advice.

Recently, I've installed the following:

• Lowering sleeves
  • 12mm GRP hub-centric spacers
  • CT carbon kit
  • Eventuri intake
  • Miltek valve controller
I thought an alignment would resolve the issue, but it hasn’t. I previously had worse vibrations with non-hub-centric spacers, but I still feel minor vibrations with the hub-centric ones. Is this normal for a sports car, or should I consider getting my tires balanced?

I appreciate any insights that can help me fully enjoy this car!

Thank you!
KakaoTalk_20240918_115013510.jpg

Were the vibrations there before the spacers and lowering sleeves is the main question. If not something was probably not done correctly.

Were the vibrations there before the spacers and lowering sleeves is the main question. If not something was probably not done correctly.
Thanks for your reply. I had no issue going over 100mph before.. but now, I feel vibration at 75mph and above... when I searched online, it seems like I need tire balancing but given this car is new... my tire shop said I don't need one...

Thanks for your reply. I had no issue going over 100mph before.. but now, I feel vibration at 75mph and above... when I searched online, it seems like I need tire balancing but given this car is new... my tire shop said I don't need one...
Id start with removing the spacers and longer lugs first and going back to stock setup. That'll pinpoint if its the spacer setup or need to look at the lowering sleeves installation next.

It's almost certainly the spacers. Whether they are not quite installed correctly, or they themselves are out of balance.

The intake, exhaust, and lip are unlikely contributors.

Only situation i can see it being the lip is if it is not affixed well and at those speeds it's 'fluttering' causing some sort of aero oscillation you can feel. That would be more likely to be experienced as a sort of whole car bouncing or shaking not through the steering wheel.

I would take the spacers off first, it’s probably the fastest thing to try, but my guess is the spacers or lowering

Spacers first. Then balance the tyres. I think the tyre balance is the likely cause. 20 inch wheels are very sensitive and unbalance quite easily.
I have the non hubcentric spacers and the lowering kit and have no probs at all. Lotus fitted these on mine.

PS. your car look sensational!!

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back