Where has the cover gone?!

jamesbxxx

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
IMG_5801.jpeg

Down behind the engine probably.

Be a test of your gymnastic ability to get it out!

That panel is quite fiddly to engage so I normally don’t bother and just pop off the whole front cover to check the oil.

Agreed - just removed covers to check the oil level and top up. The engine cover went back into place perfectly apart from when I went to fit the small inspection cover, I managed to drop it into the bottom of the engine area!! Solution - small pair of steps - climbed into boot space and managed to retreive and refit the small cover. As you say quite fiddly but not a bad outcome for a 66 year old!!

Thanks for the tips. I can’t see it, so I guess I may find it if I take the undertray off. May be time for an early oil change!

D'accordo: ho appena rimosso i coperchi per controllare il livello dell'olio e rabboccare. Il coperchio del motore è tornato a posto perfettamente, a parte il fatto che quando sono andato a montare il piccolo coperchio di ispezione sono riuscito a farlo cadere nel fondo della zona motore!! La soluzione - un paio di gradini - è salita nel bagagliaio ed è riuscita a recuperare e rimontare la piccola copertura. Come dici tu, un risultato piuttosto complicato ma non male per un 66enne!!
Rabboccare quanto olio e dopo quanti km?

Agreed - just removed covers to check the oil level and top up. The engine cover went back into place perfectly apart from when I went to fit the small inspection cover, I managed to drop it into the bottom of the engine area!! Solution - small pair of steps - climbed into boot space and managed to retreive and refit the small cover. As you say quite fiddly but not a bad outcome for a 66 year old!!
Ah, but if you weigh more than 50kg you will have voided your warranty by getting into the boot!

Thanks for the tips. I can’t see it, so I guess I may find it if I take the undertray off. May be time for an early oil change!

Wait, it really just went missing/fell off on it's own!? That's strange... you don't want that plastic melting against anything if it actually fell down against the block or even worse.. touching the belts somehow! Was it recently in for service? Maybe they forgot to put it back? :oops:

This is super strange, I saw this post few days ago, and exactly the same thing has happened to me. I can see the edge of it at the engine floor, but couldn't reach it safely (the engine was warm so I didn't want to push my luck). I will try again when the engine is cold. I would hope that the plastic cover is designed to be temperature proof, considering it is sitting on top of a combustion engine....

Ok... managed to get it out. Looks like it was just lying there flat on the engine bay floor:
IMG_1785.jpeg

Just reached out deep with my arm (cold engine) and managed to grab it. Mind you, I am quite tall / long arms and even for me took some stretching to get it.

Upon inspection the design is flawed in that the shape of the cover is such that it can fall through. I will have to think how to more solidly attach it so it doesn't fall off on bumpy roads. Taping it comes to mind, but a more elegant solution must be possible.

My fix - drill some holes on the underside for a small cable tie.

This is only to stop it falling down as I don’t use the little panel. It much gives much better access to pop off the whole front cover, which is nearly as easily removed as the little one.

IMG_8495.jpegIMG_8497.jpegIMG_8496.jpeg

It’s a good idea. Mine was under the engine and retrieved successfully - not melted or chewed up thankfully

Reactions: KJD

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back