Why no petrol particulate filter on V6?

Eureka

Reaction score
I have a manual V6 on order and, from what I can tell, it doesn't come with a petrol particulate filter. This is great news for me because the engine/exhaust noise is a big factor in the driving experience.

My question is: why is there no ppf fitted? I thought all petrol cars had to have them fitted nowadays?

Great question!

Cars that use direct injection may burn a bit less fuel, but they typically generate increased particulate emissions. Same for diesels which use direct injection that need a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF).

The V6 Emira is still somewhat old school, using port injection which results in less emissions being generated but with slightly higher fuel consumption. This means that it can get away without needing a PPF and still be Euro 6 compliant.

Not having a PPF is good news for exhaust sound quality and maintenance cost (a replacement PPF is about $4K!). Not having direct injection also means there won't be carbon build-up on intake valves. Win-win.

Last edited:
I believe the Toyota 86 has dual injectors: port and direct. The port injectors are used at startup and low speed (smoother running) but kick over to the direct injectors at higher RPM (better fuel economy, adjustable volumes). Clever stuff.

Mercedes is providing the PPF with the I4 engine (Euro 7 compliant). Toyota doesn't ship one with the V6 (Euro 6 compliant).

I doubt that the V6 Emira will ever have a PPF as Lotus won't bother investing in third party options for what is a limited run engine.

I should add that there is also a sensor connected to the PPF that signals back to the engine ECU.

The Toyota V6 2GR-FE wasn't designed with a PPF from the outset so there would need to be ECU changes to accommodate which I don't ever see happening.

I believe the Toyota 86 has dual injectors: port and direct. The port injectors are used at startup and low speed (smoother running) but kick over to the direct injectors at higher RPM (better fuel economy, adjustable volumes). Clever stuff.
The AMG M139 did this first.

I would think that Lotus are exempt from having to fit OPFs at the moment due to the small volumes being produced.

Looking at the Euro5/6 regulations (hopefully the document is not too far out of date to be relevant) it says that if the manufacturer's total production volume in the year prior to type approval of the particular model is <10,000 then you're exempt.

Theres a caveat in there regarding a manufacturer that's part of group, but to me it looks likely the first Emiras can avoid the filter purely on grounds of low volume.

Edit: page 4 of this document if anyone is struggling to sleep. :ROFLMAO: