• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Nitron Suspension Development

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
yeah no I know that, I meant I wonder if they are going to make the electronic control module for their elec-TRON supension work with the OEM switch.
I’d expect that’s what they’re saying. It should be fairly straightforward to get a signal telling the suspension controller what drive mode is selected (probably CAN data), then select a suspension setting accordingly.

OP
kitkat

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’d expect that’s what they’re saying. It should be fairly straightforward to get a signal telling the suspension controller what drive mode is selected (probably CAN data), then select a suspension setting accordingly.
Yes i think it will be a set of preconfigured compression and rebound based on drive modes. When the elec-TRON was announced it was described as a “semi-active” electronic system, which means while its adjustable it’s not truly active like a DSC system.

OP
kitkat

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Seems they’re going to offer both one based on drive modes and one based on accelerometer — graphs show damping curves for matching to braking and acceleration and a DSC like controller.

Really wish they’d give more details? I’ve asked them on multiple occasions and they just don’t reply. It’s like they work at Lotus or something.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
my 2 previous cars were new and had mag ride shocks that changed with the drive modes and I replaced both with quality uprated coil overs. I’m happy to keep things simple and have a set up for fast road driving.
I l think Nitron is a great company that have a fair pricing structure and I’ve decided to go with their 2 way coil over and the same spring rates as my current sports chassis but better internal and build quality.

I d have a question, is it just my aging eyes or am I correct in thinking the front is higher as standard? It’s often hard to tell depending on how full your fuel tank is. Just seeing if anyone knows if this is part of the design and could I have it equal height when the new adjustable height coil overs are fitted?

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Really wish they’d give more details? I’ve asked them on multiple occasions and they just don’t reply. It’s like they work at Lotus or something.
I emailed them a few days ago and this is what I got.

Why do they make several marketing posts for a product and then refuse to answer questions about it?

IMG_1972.jpeg

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Today I had the Nitron 2 way coil overs fitted along with the full set up included with the kit and the corner weighting.
I went with the fast road set up and not a super hard track set up. After doing that previously I found a complete track set up was not great on the road with camber changes etc.
I’ve only done about 30 miles so far and even though it was good before it’s definitely a step up and it feels super sharp when turning in. I’m not 100% sure but I think it was lowered about 15mm which is a big visual improvement but surprisingly I still managed to go over some speed bumps over although super slow just in case. I will post pictures at the weekend if I get the chance and hopefully Regal Autosports will post the footage on their Facebook page.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
How is the ride comfort after the upgrade? What did you come from, Sport or Tour?

Looks good, pretty low but not OTT.
I came from the Sport package and I cannot tell the difference in comfort. If there is any it’s pretty negligible.
I haven’t had much chance to test it on the twistier roads due to the rain this week but although compliant it does seem to lean less. To some it up maybe a tiny bit more sporty.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ll be sure to tease them about giving their competitors my money :)
I guess when they are getting ready to market they cannot say if there are going to be any changes. I feel the ride height of cars is something manufacturers nearly always show lower on their pre launch cars which sucks. For me the gap was the main thing I didn’t like but I had no intention of going really low. I love the look of next to no gap but it usually comes with issues that I don't want with such a great handling car.

Last edited:

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Has anyone actually driven the car back to back Touring -> Nitrons and can comment on the ride quality/any improvements?
I’ve got the first fast road option with the settings almost the same as Sport.
I’ve been driving with the Nitrons for 300 miles now and I’m quite impressed. The comfort is no worse, probably because I didn’t go for a track oriented set up. I’m in the UK in the New Forest area so plenty of twisty roads and varying road cambers. I’ve had track level set ups in the past and it has been worse on the road which doesn’t work for me personally.
Does it make the handling better is a hard one to answer. I only have a 15mm drop because I wanted a smaller gap but I don't like the look of slammed or the rubbing problems. What I can say is it seems to turn in a bit sharper. It’s not a big difference but just a bit more precise. I’m sure with such a good chassis each of the improvements owners do like lightweight parts they will only make small improvements but they all add up. Modifying cars done right is an expensive hobby and I’m glad I’ve joined this forum to get the views and knowledge of other owners, especially if they have added certain mods before me. So with that said I'd love to hear someone’s comments after they have done a JUBU 500hp or above upgrade. 😁👍🏻

Last edited:

Hapkin

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I’ve got the first fast road option with the settings almost the same as Sport.
I’ve been driving with the Nitrons for 300 miles now and I’m quite impressed. The comfort is no worse, probably because I didn’t go for a track oriented set up. I’m in the UK in the New Forest area so plenty of twisty roads and varying road cambers. I’ve had track level set ups in the past and it has been worse on the road which doesn’t work for me personally.
Does it make the handling better is a hard one to answer. I only have a 15mm drop because I wanted a smaller gap but I don't like the look of slammed or the rubbing problems. What I can say is it seems to turn in a bit sharper. It’s not a big difference but just a bit more precise. I’m sure with such a good chassis each of the improvements owners do like lightweight parts they will only make small improvements but they all add up. Modifying cars done right is an expensive hobby and I’m glad I’ve joined this forum to get the views and knowledge of other owners, especially if they have added certain mods before me. So with that said I'd love to hear someone’s comments after they have done a JUBU 500hp or above upgrade. 😁👍🏻
Thanks for being a guinea pig for us all. Could you share your alignment specs please?

I wonder if the adaptive version will have more of a difference and use cases than the passive setup.

I am thinking of going Ohlins R&T. I love them on my Mini. Maybe TTX but don't love that your have to rebuild them so much more often.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks for being a guinea pig for us all. Could you share your alignment specs please?

I wonder if the adaptive version will have more of a difference and use cases than the passive setup.

I am thinking of going Ohlins R&T. I love them on my Mini. Maybe TTX but don't love that your have to rebuild them so much more often.
I looked at the Ohlins first but couldn’t justify the cost in the end . Even the highest level Nitron track shocks were way cheaper and after a bit of research I found plenty of race teams for various manufacturers using Nitron and praising build quality and availability of spares. I am sure the top 4 brands that support race applications are all great. I used KW 3s on my last car which were decent and midway on price but don’t do Emiras yet. I’m not the guru of shocks but can say after plenty of modified cars the ones I built with fast road shocks were better all round than the track ones. I wrongly presumed that the track top level ones would be better but unless the roads are like new they are definitely worse.
I agree with Kitkat regarding comfort on the road and although like mentioned quality shocks can make a difference, you cannot have everything from a shock. A more track rated quality shock cannot give as good a ride on the road as a quality fast road shock. If it could there would be no variations on the market and it would just be the case of buying a track shock that could do everything. Nitron and and the other big brands know this and that’s why there are so many options. My wallet learned the hard way. 😭
I have no idea on the alignment but will ask the installers. 👍🏻

Last edited: