• The July 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 July 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

📓 Journals Adding Lightness

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.
Just got the car weighed today. With a full tank of gas, it was 3,240 lbs but that's with the Antigravity battery installed. Adding back the 30 lbs saved with the battery, the car was 3,270 lbs stock. Stock it has a weight to power ratio of 8.175. With the Antigravity battery, the ratio is 8.1.

Next up: oil change and installing the Eventuri, then back to the dyno shop.
This is great to know! It will be interesting to see what combination of parts it takes to get under a weight to power ratio of 8.

Third cat delete and Eventuri should get close with a bump of thirty to forty horsepower.
It doesn‘t necessarily mean that peak bhp from third cat and intake can be added because their benefits may Lappen in a different rpm range.

For example peak gain of Eventuri is at 5500rpm, peak gain of third cat is at 7000rpm.

Yes it does require a trickle charger for Lithium Ion batteries. I didn't know if the Lotus factory charger supported lithium batteries, so I'd already ordered a CTEK lithium trickle charger before the car was ever delivered.

Something interesting though; since I installed the Antigravity battery, I haven't had to use the trickle charger once. I've now got 1,000 miles on the car and it's never failed to start, nor have I had any problems with any of the electronics. These batteries seem to be strong enough (even with the 40ah one I got) that they don't need the trickle charging every night thing. My car has sat for several days when we had about a week of thunderstorms and rain, and it started right up.
To offer some balance, I've left my factory battery for two weeks and it started no bother. It does NOT need to be trickle charged every night.

Yeah I know. Just driving around town in the Emira, there are stretches of road that are very quiet, then suddenly roaring, and that's on asphalt that changes from a new patch to an older surface. Driving on grooved concrete on the freeways, it's so loud I don't think I'd even be able to have a conversation with someone. Coming off the freeway onto an asphalt off-ramp, it's like someone flips a switch and turns off the roar.

When I get home, stop the car and get out, my ears have that high-pitched hiss in them that you get after being exposed to high levels of sound for prolonged periods of time. Maybe it's just me; I am 72 so it could be my older hearing is more susceptible to this, but I want to get this under control because I really enjoy driving the car. Most of the sound seems to be coming from the back of the car, so I'll start with the rear wheel well liners first. If I have to, I'll even put sound deadener on the firewall behind the seats if necessary. I know this can be brought under control, it's just going to take some time and effort.
Wont soundproofing reduce the exhaust sound as well?

You know why they're called Goodyear?
Because they're only good for one year!
I can't stand the Goodyears and can't wait to replace them with Michelins.
I agree, since fitting coil overs I’m keen to see the difference with Cup 2s as well. I plan to order lightweight wheels soon and fit Cup 2 Connects with the temp sensors and app.

Wont soundproofing reduce the exhaust sound as well?
It would if I put it on the firewall, but it won't if I put it on the wheel well liners. In fact, I suspect damping out the noise from the wheel wells might actually improve the exhaust sound because those frequencies are probably being interfered with by road noise.

Which coilovers did you go with? Nitrons? What spring rates.

Great thread @Eagle7. I did lithium AG battery and 3CD and it has been noticeably better balanced. Hard to say for power since I replaced before 1k break in.

Strongly looking at Steve Tillets B10's and hoping GRP can figure out the last couple of ECU error codes and proper resistors.

Then light wheels and titanium lug nuts.

Super interested in hearing about your ceramic bearings. Reducing rolling resistance is a win at all speeds.

Lastly, eventually hoping for Syvecs or other ECU with 7200 rpm.

Back