Air con known issue -no fix yet [EDIT: now with official fix]

opportunity for someone to come up with carbon or titanium water shields claiming to improve air-con efficiency
Was told by my dealer Lotus offers a shroud (my term) within warranty to protect that area from issues due to water ingress.

Wait, so cars are getting the "real" fix now, instead of the "temporary fix" rubber sheet ?

Just got my car back from Galpin to fix fuel sensor assembly issue and my car vin ending #1253 turns out has a HVAC cover installed already from factory to protect the resistor.

Just got my car back from Galpin to fix fuel sensor assembly issue and my car vin ending #1253 turns out has a HVAC cover installed already from factory to protect the resistor.
Interesting. My car is #1240 and I thought it was in the group of VINs that needed a fix.

Wait, so cars are getting the "real" fix now, instead of the "temporary fix" rubber sheet ?
That is my expectation. I think the 'rubber sheet' was a temporary fix. Lotus supplied parts to my dealer. I'll see what I can do to get a photo next week (try hard but no promise).

I was told this week the dealer is going to change the resister even though they have no shields. It will sort the HVAC out for now which I appreciate but will still need a cover or it will fail again at some point. Apparently there is no date for new covers because so many have been needed.

I was told this week the dealer is going to change the resister even though they have no shields. It will sort the HVAC out for now which I appreciate but will still need a cover or it will fail again at some point. Apparently there is no date for new covers because so many have been needed.
The original 'fix' apparently used to involve smothering the new resistor with silicon sealant to waterproof it, maybe ask the dealer if they can do that? Otherwise it's only going to fix it until it gets wet and then it will fail again.

It's carbon anyway.
It would appear so. See part pix (shoe for scale). I imagined something more elegant from Lotus Engineering but post #288 in this thread is correct. Fine if it does the trick for water ingress protection of sensitive electronics. Check with your Dealer if you are having issues. The "update is a Lotus warranty matter. Skip this item should you wish to 'add lightness" in minor way.
20240718_091948.jpg
20240718_091851.jpg

It would appear so. See part pix (shoe for scale). I imagined something more elegant from Lotus Engineering but post #288 in this thread is correct. Fine if it does the trick for water ingress protection of sensitive electronics. Check with your Dealer if you are having issues. The "update is a Lotus warranty matter. Skip this item should you wish to 'add lightness" in minor way.
View attachment 47798View attachment 47799
Geez that thing is big!

View attachment 47798View attachment 47799
Did you weigh that? It's big enough to make this a 50/50 car.

No.
Did you weigh that? It's big enough to make this a 50/50 car.
No. Was shown the part prior to install. It looks hefty but its not heavy. Imagine a rubber SUV car mat. Something else may not have the desired durability. Dealer said there is a huge demand for them, therefore hard to get and keep in inventory. If it fixes a problem you may be having, what's not to like? Yes, I wish it was more elegant, but have no idea how it appears installed.
As far as the F/R weight improvement, by god yes!

Last edited: