• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Alfa 4c looking to purchase an Emira but am unsure

No surprises. As I’m considering my own ownership experience the emira is as an exotic of a car I’ve ever owned. The Porsche is a GREAT car and just very easy to use, enjoy and maintain. The emira is more effortful but feels more special. In terms of ease of use/exotic I think you can comfortably put it as Porsche cayman / emira / 4c.
In conclusion;
Porsche Cayman Boxster reliability, easy to service. Good looking. Easy to drive, forgiving at the limit… everything you have read.
Alfa 4c more problems mechanically
Service and maintenance can take longer. Good looking also, however it does have some angles that look awkward. Because there are less of them it does feel special, not as recognizable as a Porsche. Driving is a lot of fun however the small interior noisy cabin. Make it a challenge for long drives. Does feel special. If you can deal with the compromises. A fantastic 2 or 3rd cars.
Lotus Emira Parts and service for unscheduled work will take longer. In the looks department. It is in a different class than Porsche or the Alfa. It it hard to understand till you see it in person.
I have parked mine next to Ferrari’s Lamborghini’s Mcleran’s, Aston Martins and Porsche’s don’t compare..
The drive is not a refined as a Porsche it feels mechanical industrial raw. But not to the extent that it’s a hindrance to the experience…
If your going to have all three,
Porsche 1
Lotus 2
Afla 3
IMG_1927.jpeg

I have had my Alfa 4c for 7 years(after 8 years with an Elise). Elise steering was superior, but the Alfa is so much fun. Does anyone have Alfa 4c experience who can comment on Emira comparison. I will test drive an Emira in the next few months and will opt for automatic(I know but I do not miss the third pedal at all in my Alfa). I love my Alfa, but the Emira is so beautiful. Will I be losing fun (Alfa) for the sake of beauty? (I sound like a spoiled brat.)
Sadly, I must report nothing but frustration and disappointment with my 2033 Emira. Gorgeous car, very few around and fantastic to drive, when it is not in service. I’ve had the car since May 2023 and it’s been in the shop 5 times, totaling 7 months. Electrical system is awful, parking break problems, sensor problems, complete compressor change, water retention problems, stop/start malfunctioning, etc. Simple parts are literally unavailable for months. The service centers just throw their hands up and apologize. 4 months for a compressor. 8 weeks to still not find a sensor assembly, water gaskets, 8 weeks and counting.

Lotus Europe has nothing to offer, no solutions, just excuses. 9000€ for insurance and private parking but no CAR! It’s an embarrassment for this brand. I have owned 4 Porsche’s, 2 BMW’s, 2 Audi’s, and never, ever have I experienced anything even close to such a horrible ownership experience.

I have been stranded 3 times, the electrical system blocked the start, having to wait hours for it to randomly reset. Totally unreliable and I actually fear driving the car (if I get it back). All with only 9000km, no accidents, no curbing, no racing, nada

My plan is to sell this car and run back to Porsche. Heck, I think Ferrari might be more reliable. Or maybe a nice Honda or VW or Kia where parts and competent service are readily available. Read to various forums, I am not alone, what a shame.

Sadly, I must report nothing but frustration and disappointment with my 2033 Emira. Gorgeous car, very few around and fantastic to drive, when it is not in service. I’ve had the car since May 2023 and it’s been in the shop 5 times, totaling 7 months. Electrical system is awful, parking break problems, sensor problems, complete compressor change, water retention problems, stop/start malfunctioning, etc. Simple parts are literally unavailable for months. The service centers just throw their hands up and apologize. 4 months for a compressor. 8 weeks to still not find a sensor assembly, water gaskets, 8 weeks and counting.

Lotus Europe has nothing to offer, no solutions, just excuses. 9000€ for insurance and private parking but no CAR! It’s an embarrassment for this brand. I have owned 4 Porsche’s, 2 BMW’s, 2 Audi’s, and never, ever have I experienced anything even close to such a horrible ownership experience.

I have been stranded 3 times, the electrical system blocked the start, having to wait hours for it to randomly reset. Totally unreliable and I actually fear driving the car (if I get it back). All with only 9000km, no accidents, no curbing, no racing, nada

My plan is to sell this car and run back to Porsche. Heck, I think Ferrari might be more reliable. Or maybe a nice Honda or VW or Kia where parts and competent service are readily available. Read to various forums, I am not alone, what a shame.
thank you for this post. I am concerned about reliability and the unclear policy of Lotus on transportation to and from the dealership.

My previous car was a Cayman 3.4s, unlike everyone else on here I didn't purchase my Emira, 3.5 manual with lowered suspension and CT Carbon bodykit, I won it and I'm so glad I didn't. Unpopular opinion, I'd go for a 4.0 Cayman with PDK and every option available up to the cost of the Emira.

The Emira is by far the better looking car but I'd have the Cayman every day of the week. Very little in performance and handling according to most reviewers. The amount of recalls and problems is unacceptable for a car of this price, I've just got it back after 2 1/2 weeks and still have problems that need resolving.

I'm in England and prices used are already 20% lower on a 1 yr old car. The Cayman will hold value far better. Go on the Porsche site and see what you get for the same price, even less for a model at the dealers.

My 2 cents worth and I'm sure I'll get flak for it but because I didn't lay £90k/$110k out I won't hold back on my thoughts on the car.
yes looks vs reliability a real issue. Thank you

I had an Alfa 4C for years. A 2018 black red spider. Much has been said but I’ll offer I’ve daily driven my Lotus, the Alfa, multiple Porsches (air cooled turbo 6spd, new 991 pdk and boxster s 6 spd) McLaren, bmw m3 comp etc. the Alfa was tremendous fun, beautiful, great soundtrack with race pack, excellent weight and perfectly adequate performance at least to 120mph. However, the handling was poor, it tramlined excessively, tracked somewhat unpredictably and gave lots of feedback that was hard to decipher. I had it realigned to street specs, then to race specs, I added an Alfa 9 kit to improve the rear suspension, I tried slightly wider 10mm tires and sticker Michelins and pirellis both p zero and corsas. It just never was a great handling car and I waited for the later cars which were supposed to be better setup. I sold it at a loss and haven’t missed it. The Miata which is a standard in automotive circles is far better except in body roll and everything else- Porsche, bmw, lotus, Aston vantage and McLaren are frankly far superior handling cars on street and even more pronounced on track. This was the only flaw with the Alfa 4C in my opinion and since the Gulia quadrifolio is so good at handling I assume it is a result of poor suspension development due to short development window and lack of funds. The transmission with some paddle extensions was perfectly in line with the car and was solid, not a Porsche pdk or a McLaren paddle system, but still solid as befitting the price. The dealership was also abysmal, but that isn’t a car issue, it’s a service issue. The lotus, particularly with interesting interiors is superior in all ways, though if you want a paddle I’d wait on the amg Mercedes option. I much prefer the manual which is excellent and the Toyota. The lotus certainly is directly comparable to something between a cayman gts < lotus Emira < cayman gt4. The lotus strikes a near perfect balance between street and track, the Porsche gt series is a step more towards track which costs real world utility and the gts it’s more natural competition is outclassed by the Lotus which is frankly incrementally better in every way except customization. I think reliability may actually be similar from my experiences having owned so many cars. Old german, new Italian and old British seem to require the most maintenance and things by JLR. The Porsches have sadly also gotten exceptionally expensive, far outstripping their value, mostly a result of having to fund the litigation against Audi/VW caused by diesel gate.

I have both and they are very different. The lotus is much more refined than the 4c. I love them both will never sell either one.
IMG_3517.jpeg

Expensive cars have expensive parts and generally dealers charge high rates to stay in business. Low volume cars give fewer customers to distribute those costs among, it’s not surprising. I suspect the clutches on both and Emira and Cayman will probably last around 100k miles unless tracked, but technique has a huge impact. Both will be expensive unfortunately.

Expensive cars have expensive parts and generally dealers charge high rates to stay in business. Low volume cars give fewer customers to distribute those costs among, it’s not surprising. I suspect the clutches on both and Emira and Cayman will probably last around 100k miles unless tracked, but technique has a huge impact. Both will be expensive unfortunately.
PDK no clutch, UK guy on another thread saying his clutch bearing has gone and is a 23 hour booked time to change!

The PDK has two clutches, however they are not readily serviceable. When they fail or the electronic control module fails the transmission has to be replaced. It runs about $20,000, fortunately except early PDK’s and heavily tracked ones this is a rare occurrence until probably 150,000miles for most people. I love sports cars, especially Porsches, but just offering hopefully a comparison point. The Ferrari F430 generally only gets 40,000 miles from its replaceable clutch in the F1, but it’s about $20,000 also when you factor in labor and the replacement of associated parts. The F1 pump is a separate 10,000. The M3 competition is less than $5000 and also last 100-150k miles. You can search these topics readily, just offering comparisons. Mid engined cars are also harder to work on and I find service costs are generally higher or much higher than front or rear engined cars.

The PDK has two clutches, however they are not readily serviceable. When they fail or the electronic control module fails the transmission has to be replaced. It runs about $20,000, fortunately except early PDK’s and heavily tracked ones this is a rare occurrence until probably 150,000miles for most people. I love sports cars, especially Porsches, but just offering hopefully a comparison point. The Ferrari F430 generally only gets 40,000 miles from its replaceable clutch in the F1, but it’s about $20,000 also when you factor in labor and the replacement of associated parts. The F1 pump is a separate 10,000. The M3 competition is less than $5000 and also last 100-150k miles. You can search these topics readily, just offering comparisons. Mid engined cars are also harder to work on and I find service costs are generally higher or much higher than front or rear engined cars.
No clutch as in a traditional replaceable clutch.

thanks for posting. I called my local Lotus dealer which is an hour and 45 min. away about a loaner or an uber when the Lotus is in the shop; the dealer could not say more than it would be on a "case by case basis". That is dismal service promise for a 100K car.

It’s probably dealer dependent, our Dallas Lotus has been very reasonable offering loaners if scheduled in advance and under for anything not scheduled.

23hours x $150 is only $3450 in labor plus whatever parts cost.
Nearer £200/$250 ph here in the UK. Evora clutches are in the region of £1000/$1300 for aftermarket here, so in the region of £5600/$6500 for a clutch on a car that is depreciating quickly and has numerous other issues.