• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Anyone thought about painting the manual transmission gear shift lever?

netsinah

Emira owner.
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm planning to install an after-market black/red gear shift knob when the right one comes along and think a black gear shift lever would match well. I've seen some who have replaced the gear shift "gator" with a taller one, which covers up the "aluminum/metallic" gear shift lever below the knob, but that looks to require a fair bit of disassembly. I wonder if a spray coat(s) of black paint on the gear shift lever itself, would be an easy/inexpensive solution (with everything but the lever covered up to prevent over-spray). However perhaps (?) any paint would be rubbed off when shifting to reverse gear, with the lever going up/down during that shift?

Has anyone tried a coat(s) of paint on the gear shift lever? Any thoughts on whether this is a bad idea...or if "doable" the type of paint that would work best?

Seems like powdercoating would last better, but I have not yet seen someone do that component.
Thanks for that feedback. The attraction of spray painting, if possible, would be not to remove anything to (for example) powder coat the surface. I'm planning to remove the super charger cover to powder coat or paint it red, when I park the vehicle for the winter, which is a very simple job.

@netsinah make sure you have it blasted and not dipped. The cover is coated underneath.