Build Quality?

MajHall04

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Awaiting my i4 this winter. I’ve driven the two demos that toured the US. They seemed pretty beat up. My question is for those that received their vehicles, how is the build quality? I know it may not be Porsche quality but is it similar to BMW or Mercedes build quality?

The "bulletproof Porsche" disappeared around the time of the 997. Yes, they are reliable compared to some other complex modern cars, but not bulletproof in the way of a 993 or longhood 911.

My Emira doesn't feel fragile. I've done several road trips including driving Sydney to Brisbane and back (1,000 km each way) and the car has held up really well.

Once they sort out the remaining "early vehicle" issues (mostly through software upgrades) I expect that the Emira will be a dependable car. After all, the Toyota/Lexus engine isn't going to let you down and the gearbox is well-proven too.

Paint bubbles in the fibreglass is probably the scariest risk with these cars.

Last edited:
The exterior and interior are worth the price, and I personally feel that it is a little more premium than the SUPRA. At least not worse than the previous Porsche 911, and a lot better than the previous EVORA.
As for the quality of the mechanics, I often accelerated violently, and the oil and water temperatures were very well controlled, with the water always below 89 degrees Celsius, and my GT86 easily exceeded 95 degrees. When I first got the car, the tire pressure alarm was always a false alarm, and then 4S changed the sensors for free, and then there was no alarm light.
5.jpg
23.jpg
8.jpg

I'd say it's fine, but not exceptional. Nobody is ever going to say you want something with Lotus build quality. But if this is a car you want for driving dynamics and specialness then I certainly wouldn't let the build quality get in the way.

It is on the noisier side and there is that initial transmission noise that sounds a bit agricultural.
Mine has one tiny defect on the interior (a very small bump on the leather of one door card) that isn't worth asking them to fix as it might make things worse (in fact I think it's likely). There are a few panels that aren't perfectly aligned, and I have a clunk of the steering at full lock (although that might be "they all do that sir").

It also feels a little lighter and more delicate than the carved-from-a-billet feeling the best German cars can have. I'm inclined to close the doors more lightly and also the trunk. It's not a bad thing, and it feels less delicate than say a Honda. And it's extraordinarily stiff, and sometimes I think its stiffness overwhelms the bits that do move and you get a creak here and there.

BUT the exterior and the interior both give a strong sense of occasion and specialness, and the driving dynamics are second-to-none. It's perfectly fun at legal speeds and unlike many capable cars it doesn't feel like it needs to be driven harder to be appreciated; it's a hoot flowing with traffic. And it makes a lovely noise. I really think it's closest in spirit to an NA Miata (I had two) in the sense that you sometimes find yourself laughing out loud, except much, much more capable. And then there's the bit where people roll down their windows (or open the bus door!) and tell you how gorgeous it is.

I wouldn't put it on par with the German BMWs (I had a 5 series that's going back) but it is on par with the American ones (the SUVs). Indeed when I first got it and saw a few panel gaps (and they are slight) I inspected all the cars in the condo garage and the BMW SUVs were if anything a little worse.

Last edited:
The exterior and interior are worth the price, and I personally feel that it is a little more premium than the SUPRA. At least not worse than the previous Porsche 911, and a lot better than the previous EVORA.
As for the quality of the mechanics, I often accelerated violently, and the oil and water temperatures were very well controlled, with the water always below 89 degrees Celsius, and my GT86 easily exceeded 95 degrees. When I first got the car, the tire pressure alarm was always a false alarm, and then 4S changed the sensors for free, and then there was no alarm light.View attachment 46283View attachment 46284View attachment 46287
Strange it almost looks bigger than a modern 911 when its actualy quite a bit smaller

Awaiting my i4 this winter.
Have you heard some news on the deliveries moving forward? I had heard they may be pulling the i4 deliveries forward for the US, and even paid a visit to my dealer last week to ask, but I have not been able to confirm the news is true. I'm still operating under the 1/18/2024 email stating early 2025. Deposited early 2022, locked in 9/2023, but have heard rumors of late Q3 early Q4 delivery possibility - which obviously would be better than 2025..

Have you heard some news on the deliveries moving forward? I had heard they may be pulling the i4 deliveries forward for the US, and even paid a visit to my dealer last week to ask, but I have not been able to confirm the news is true. I'm still operating under the 1/18/2024 email stating early 2025. Deposited early 2022, locked in 9/2023, but have heard rumors of late Q3 early Q4 delivery possibility - which obviously would be better than 2025..
Wow...you got an email from your dealer? I receive absolutely zero from them...except when they asked for the non-refundable deposit back in November (they didn't even advise of the i4 delay, I heard about that on here). Would love to back out but they won't give me my money back, nor allow me to transfer the order. They do an excellent job filling the, "Car salesman are slimey" stereotype.

Awaiting my i4 this winter. I’ve driven the two demos that toured the US. They seemed pretty beat up. My question is for those that received their vehicles, how is the build quality? I know it may not be Porsche quality but is it similar to BMW or Mercedes build quality?
Mercedes.. BMW..!... Build Quality? Sure fit finish is great but those things breakdown all the time.. pieces of junk for what you pay. My 2019 BMW gran coupe 640i was a piece of junk and it cost me $115k Canadian after tax. Always in the shop and service was astronomical and all the people in that dealership had a stick up their a.s and that's just one experience.
Never again.

My dealer had me confirm my build two weeks ago. He read me the email from lotus stating that I4 builds will start in July/Aug with deliveries Q4.

Wow...you got an email from your dealer? I receive absolutely zero from them...except when they asked for the non-refundable deposit back in November (they didn't even advise of the i4 delay, I heard about that on here). Would love to back out but they won't give me my money back, nor allow me to transfer the order. They do an excellent job filling the, "Car salesman are slimey" stereotype.
Oh, no of course not. I called Lotus USA and confirmed that they had my correct email. once I did that I started receiving email from LotusUSA. Including the 2025 delay email, and the email on the "Free Gift", that they sent to the wrong address, and it sat for 5 months out in the elements until I decided on a getaway for a long weekend. At least I know I don't have to worry about "Porch Pirates". I will agree with you - they pressured me to lock-in 9/'23, promised a 3/'24-4/'24 delivery, and then I got the 1/'24 email on the year long delay, was pretty twisted on that one..

Just to note: 886 days and counting...

My dealer had me confirm my build two weeks ago. He read me the email from lotus stating that I4 builds will start in July/Aug with deliveries Q4.
Wow, that is really good news. My dealer had no information when I stopped in on Monday of this week. Think I will keep the early 2025 in my mind just so I don't get excited..

But I will be texting and asking my dealer about the Lotus email your dealer disclosed.

Nowhere near BMW and Mercedes quality, imho.

I didn't have high expectations on overall build quality so it surpassed mine. The door handle feels a bit feeble along with the rear hatch but none of it particularly concerns me--I just don't slam them and treat it nicely. The interior overall feels very nice and everyone comments on how beautiful it is. I don't know if it will have any long-term durability issues but I wouldn't let it hold you back. This car is amazing.

Closing on 2,700 miles and still no major issues except that I almost never drive my "daily" BMW anymore because this car is just so much more fun. Every drive is an occasion--even when they're almost daily.

honestly surprised by the build quality. Design is outstanding inside and out. All my panels look properly aligned. Interior does feel premium. Touchpoints and switches are great. Drove aggressively without music and did not notice any regular or loud creaks.

There is a lack of sound dampening in the rear. You can hear the engine and rocks. It adds drama but also feels a bit less insulated as a result.

I have some kind of intermittent fan buzzing up front on cold start. Oh and the seatbelt cover is loose on the passenger side. This is all resolvable.

Overall seems screwed together quite well. This is worlds above what lotus used to be.

Last edited:
Have had the car for 2 weeks and I think the interior quality is fine. It's pretty good for a Lotus but still nowhere near Porsche, Audi and BMW. I have a very loose driving mode selector switch and the shifter cable resonates while accelerating. The quality of the leather is not what you would expect in a 100k car. But everything feels just right while you are driving. I like the simple design and the cabin feels premium enough.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back