• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Cars you've sold or passed on and wished you hadn't?

2003 XJR 100 with about 50k miles for $13,500ish.

There’s a specific one I’m thinking of, but many low mile examples were trading for under 20k.

Sold my Audi R8 manual
Passed on GT3 2016 & GT4
Lost deal in 2020 for Audi R8 V10 rear wheel drive

Sold my 1994 Miata R Package (no power steering, no ABS, limited slip) with a turbo kit on it..bought it for cheap and sold it for cheap. Great drivers car, a lot of fun.

Also had an E30 BMW with motor and tranny from an E36 M3…again bought cheap and sold cheap.

Timing was not good to keep either but hindsight is always 20/20.

IMG_4407.jpeg

IMG_4406.jpeg

Passed on a cheap E28 M5 that just needed TLC. But I was in college and had no means, time or talent. Still might get one if I ever have reason to part with my E39 540i6 Sport.

I think driving an E28 when I was in high school (friend's car) established the love of feeling an engine make progression as a more rewarding/repeatable/legal experience than just seeking outright speed. 2nd gear in that car is just a great pull.

Sold my 1994 Miata R Package (no power steering, no ABS, limited slip) with a turbo kit on it..bought it for cheap and sold it for cheap. Great drivers car, a lot of fun.

Also had an E30 BMW with motor and tranny from an E36 M3…again bought cheap and sold cheap.

Timing was not good to keep either but hindsight is always 20/20.

View attachment 49504
View attachment 49505
Both sound amazing, but at least you got to enjoy them.

I have driven a few modified e30s are they are so much fun. a kind of standard of balance and playfulness for me at least. I still want to get one eventually.

I traded in a 2016 Chevy SS sedan with a manual back in 2019. Objectively it was a good trade in at the time but its the only car I've ever really missed. It was wonderful to drive and a lot of fun when picking up the kids.

Both sound amazing, but at least you got to enjoy them.

I have driven a few modified e30s are they are so much fun. a kind of standard of balance and playfulness for me at least. I still want to get one eventually.
You really should when you have the opportunity and the time is right. Haven’t been able to part with mine (2nd owner) - one of my favorites.

Great thread…single biggest car regret would be my 89’ 25th Anniversary Countach. It was flawless. Bought it with 600 miles on it, sold it with 3700 miles. Always was an experience taking it out for a drive. Sitting on the door sill while meticulously letting out the clutch in order to back up enabling you to see was all part of the experience. It’s the quirks that we bitch about but also the things we remember with a smile when we reflect. With that said, my Lotus Evora S 2+2 was my favorite drivers car of any car I have owned…hands down. Beating out all the German and Italian cars I was blessed to have owned. The Lotus reminds me of the connectivity of a shifter kart. Will be keeping the Emira for a very long time.

Attachments

• IMG_3308.jpeg
    IMG_3308.jpeg
    919.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3309.jpeg
    IMG_3309.jpeg
    807.6 KB · Views: 26
Great thread…single biggest car regret would be my 89’ 25th Anniversary Countach. It was flawless. Bought it with 600 miles on it, sold it with 3700 miles. Always was an experience taking it out for a drive. Sitting on the door sill while meticulously letting out the clutch in order to back up enabling you to see was all part of the experience. It’s the quirks that we bitch about but also the things we remember with a smile when we reflect. With that said, my Lotus Evora S 2+2 was my favorite drivers car of any car I have owned…hands down. Beating out all the German and Italian cars I was blessed to have owned. The Lotus reminds me of the connectivity of a shifter kart. Will be keeping the Emira for a very long time.
The thread’s been a blast to watch, pics have made it more so. It’s all led to more time on google than I thought it might, some broadened horizons, newfound appreciation.

The '91 NSX was a special car...from memory not nearly as visceral as the Emira but very special in its own way. The engine sounded just ok outside the car but from inside it was epic. Titanium connect rods, 8k redline, Honda reliability. Never drove one but maybe the Zanardi edition would be closer to the Emira experience. Single pane of glass between the cabin and engine bay rather than the dual pane with vacuum seal for noise abatement in the standard NSX. Lower/stiffer suspension etc.. Wouldn't mind having a later year 3.2 liter 6-speed in the garage...

The '91 NSX was a special car...from memory not nearly as visceral as the Emira but very special in its own way. The engine sounded just ok outside the car but from inside it was epic. Titanium connect rods, 8k redline, Honda reliability. Never drove one but maybe the Zanardi edition would be closer to the Emira experience. Single pane of glass between the cabin and engine bay rather than the dual pane with vacuum seal for noise abatement in the standard NSX. Lower/stiffer suspension etc.. Wouldn't mind having a later year 3.2 liter 6-speed in the garage...
Sadly they have spiked in price. For a while they were in the 40-60ks and a great price for some nostalgia and a great Honda product. However they are not fast cars and for the money they are asking for now it’s more of a collectible than a drivers car.

Also my 91 NSX. Was first really nice car I was able to afford and had lot good memories while had it. Sold for 30k (2009) when market was getting low and wanted to get what had in it while still could. Who knew they'd be worth A LOT more a few years later.
Took that $ and spent it on the basement walls for our current house at least.
I'm sure it would feel slow now but always enjoyed driving it.
nsx1.jpg

Also my 91 NSX. Was first really nice car I was able to afford and had lot good memories while had it. Sold for 30k (2009) when market was getting low and wanted to get what had in it while still could. Who knew they'd be worth A LOT more a few years later.
Took that $ and spent it on the basement walls for our current house at least.
I'm sure it would feel slow now but always enjoyed driving it.
View attachment 49573
I wonder if the Emira will take a similar path. Recognized as a great product, but kind of overshadowed and left behind. Not appreciate for sometime and then rediscovered as the best product that Lotus ever built. However that might take 20+ years :)

The NSX was not selling at all during its later years. It was simply too slow for how much money it was asking. Magazines were obsessed with HP and 0-60 times. Only much later did people realize the genius and timelessness of its engineering and design.

A recent thread sparked a comment to the effect that the V6 manual could become a classic / collectible, which got me thinking. We all have wish lists, but I thought it would be kinda interesting to focus on ones we've owned and sold or been close to actually buying but for one reason or another passed on and later wished we hadn't. I tried to keep mine to five (wasn't easy), in no particular order: '98 993 Targa; '67 Mustang (289 manual); '73 2002 tii; '90 Miata; '08 R8 (V8 gated manual).

Attachments

• IMG_20240621_090523735_AE.jpg
    IMG_20240621_090523735_AE.jpg
    648.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20211208_091110.jpg
    20211208_091110.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211208_091305.jpg
    20211208_091305.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20211208_091110~2.jpg
    20211208_091110~2.jpg
    596.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20211208_092312.jpg
    20211208_092312.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 23
Ok. You win.

Just for financial reasons alone I imagine it would be great to have the Countach back, and even more so that it is THE iconic sports car of that era.

I have read that the Evora S was/is a true high mark for handling. Very nice ones can still be had for $45-55k, which I think is a bargain if they live up to the hype.

How does the Emira compare to the Evora S 2+2?

Just for financial reasons alone I imagine it would be great to have the Countach back, and even more so that it is THE iconic sports car of that era.
Agree… but still will say the Lotus Evora S has been the most enjoyable sports car. Could really ring it out and not feel it is too overpowered for daily driving. Anxiously awaiting the Emira arrival in the next month or so.

Back