• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Ceramic vs Wax

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What are the benefits of ceramic coating compared with wax on the Emira?
Are use waxes as part of my work (I’m a woodworker and woodturner ). There are waxes that are carnauba based, but most of these are mixed with something like beeswax to make it soft enough to apply. There are also waxes that are microcrystalline, such as Renaissance wax which was developed for the British Museum to apply to things like suits of armour which people used to touch.
I realised that ceramic coating may be a little harder when cured than wax, but at the end of the day, it is still a very thin film. It won’t protect against stone chips like PPF will. I understand that it may have better water shedding properties than wax. All the cars that I have seen after having ceramic coating applied have looked fantastic, but that also applies to cars that were detailed and waxed in the past

So if I choose the wax route, I realise that I will have to re-wax the car more often , but from a protection point of view, is this any worse or better than ceramic coating applied every couple of years?

I was very skeptical against ceramic (the pro stuff) for years. When I got a new car recently I did the full front in PPF (with ceramic on top) and the rest in ceramic only. There is a lot of difference in how water and dirt will not stick as easily vs a well waxed car. Before I would wash a waxed car every week or two to keep clean. With the ceramic one I've washed it maybe 3 times in 6 months. I spot clean bugs etc if necessary which is mainly on the front PPF anyway. .
I decided after that to do my 911 in full PPF and then applied ceramic on top of the PPF.
Visually there is almost no difference to me since I always kept it waxed.
The less times you have to wash and wax (touch the paint) the less likely you are to have micro scratching. Given the reports of thin Emira paint I wouldnt want to buff it very often.

People still use traditional wax? I ditched wax after discovering hydrophobic silica spray sealants like CarPro Reload and P&S Beadmaker years ago. They are so easy to use. Just spray on after washing as a drying aid or after detailing and drying the car for a longer lasting sealant. Spray, gently wipe off, and let cure for a few hours and it'll last months. You can use it on trim and glass too, unlike wax!

People still use traditional wax? I ditched wax after discovering hydrophobic silica spray sealants like CarPro Reload and P&S Beadmaker years ago. They are so easy to use. Just spray on after washing as a drying aid or after detailing and drying the car for a longer lasting sealant. Spray, gently wipe off, and let cure for a few hours and it'll last months. You can use it on trim and glass too, unlike wax!
There is still a place for waxes, and the high quality ones will give a deeep wet lustre that ceramic will not. Kind of like playing albums on a high quality turntable and cartridge versus an mp3. MP3 flat hollow and lifeless but shiny and shrill. Analog is palpable and you become part of the music. Warm and with depth. I personally PPF and ceramic for protection and longevity.

I'm with you there, plenty of long lasting spray on sealants on the market now that last a year or more with minimal work if your paint is already ready to be sealed. I don't see any point to ceramic coatings or traditional waxes anymore.

I have to come in on the side of ceramic coating.

For context, I'm a tad OCD about my cars and hand wash them myself about once a week. I know, a little nuts, but I get pleasure from cleaning things and having a shimmering beautiful car in my drive way.

For me, ceramic coatings are noticeably better than wax, assuming the coating is a good type (some are better than others, I'd point you towards anything Obsessed Garage is selling as a good option if you're buying yourself, otherwise get it done by a certified dealer of ceramic products, they often have the best stuff) and assuming the coating was applied properly. The hydrophobic properties of ceramic coatings are superior, and they last months if not years if taken care of.

If you're the type of person who likes to keep things pristine, I'd recommend PPF (which I also always put on my cars), and also add a ceramic coating on top of the PPF. Some people think this is insane but I've tried all different methods over the years and it's my favorite.

If you care about your paint retaining its depth and quality, but PPF is a bit overboard for you, I'd at last recommend a ceramic coating. Dirt sticks to it less, water blows off dirt or grime easier, and it adds a sacrificial layer on the paint that can protect it from chips or scratches (not as effectively as PPF, but somewhat).

When I wash my car I always finish with P&S Beadmaker or some sort of drying aid that adds additional hydrophobic quality and gives the paint a satisfying sheen.

There is still a place for waxes, and the high quality ones will give a deeep wet lustre that ceramic will not. Kind of like playing albums on a high quality turntable and cartridge versus an mp3. MP3 flat hollow and lifeless but shiny and shrill. Analog is palpable and you become part of the music. Warm and with depth. I personally PPF and ceramic for protection and longevity.
Hi EyeFour Eemeerah!
Your “analogy” between high quality waxes that gives a deep, wet lustre with playing vinyl albums on a high quality turntable and cartridge was noted and appreciated. I also appreciated your mentioning that «analog is palpable and you become part of the music. Warm and with depth.» I am a staunch analog supporter, and I am behind one of the leading boutique pickup (phono cartridge) brands available around the world that is said to deliver “absolute sound”.

I am a little unsure how you went from flat hollow, lifeless, shiny, shrill mp3 like ceramic to personally doing PPF and ceramic for protection and longevity? Maybe the latter is more like high-bit, high-over sampling (aka quadruple 11.2MHz DSD) that an audiophile may be willing to live with as a supplement to his/her vinyl collection?

I think we speak the same language, and I may also consider PPF with the addition of some ceramic whenever my ordered Emira FE shows up in my driveway.

Last edited:
Hi EyeFour Eemeerah!
Your “analogy” between high quality waxes that gives a deep, wet lustre with playing vinyl albums on a high quality turntable and cartridge was noted and appreciated. I also appreciated your mentioning that «analog is palpable and you become part of the music. Warm and with depth.» I am a staunch analog supporter, and I am behind one of the leading boutique pickup (phono cartridge) brands available around the world that is said to deliver “absolute sound”.

I am a little unsure how you went from flat hollow, lifeless, shiny, shrill mp3 like ceramic to personally doing PPF and ceramic for protection and longevity? Maybe the latter is more like high-bit, high-over sampling (aka quadruple 11.2MHz DSD) that an audiophile may be willing to live with as a supplement to his/her vinyl collection?

I think we speak the same language, and I may also consider PPF with the addition of some ceramic whenever my ordered Emira FE shows up in my driveway.
If I had to guess, and given your provenance, I would have say Koetsu?? If so my hat is off!! My reasoning is that while ceramic gives a high gloss, and and shimmering effect, it is clinical in its look. Very flashy, and clean, but not something you want to reach out and touch to feel its texture. Excessively bright. For my cars and their usage, I need the protective qualities from environmental deposits that ceramic brings. It alone does NOT protect from scratches and micro abrasions, and that is where the PPF comes in. While then combination may actually detract somewhat (very little actually) from the appearance of the car’s paint job, you will rest more comfortably that you did everything you could to preserve it. After all, as soon as you put any additional layers between you and the paint, a little “information” gets lost.

It’s interesting what’s said about wax, ceramic and comparing it to audio.
I’ve just finished a bocote (wood species) enclosure for a valve amplifier for a client. I used 8 coats of a thin oil to give protection and a slight sheen.
On wood, I have tried oil, wax/oil, lacquer and even 2K automotive lacquer. And at least 8 different types of wax.
The 2K lacquer makes the wood very protected, very shiny and like a CD; a bit sterile. A thin oil and a thin coat of high quality wax gives a great finish on most wood species.
So, after reading all the advice above (thanks guys) I’m still not sure what to do! But I think I’ll get some “ magic spray”.

There are some spectacular modern waxes (e.g. Kamikaze Infinity Wax) -- just YouTube it. I've tended to move away from them as my car has a ceramic coating (hence, I top-coat with a ceramic topper). But it's really your choice. I've always loved the buttery warmth of a good Carnuba.

Only thing: never ever put a ceramic coating over a wax -- it won't bond correctly. You'd need to do a full paint decontamination beforehand.

From my perspective and for context, I do detailing.

I grew up on waxes and resisted shifting to the spray on sealants for a long time because no way a spray could be better :) Well, I can tell you SiO2 solutions are amazing. For regular daily drivers, I use spray on options as they give about 3mo 'protection' and is super easy to apply and not an expensive uplift. For nicer vehicles, I do try to recommend they go with ceramic coating to give 12-18mo protection that stands up much better to outside conditions, especially brake dust on wheels. Yes there are longer coatings but I don't buy into the 3+ year offerings as my experience doesn't match. For customers with ceramic, still recommend using beadmaker after each wash as it helps to maintain the ceramic longer.

Now, there is something to be said about waxing and just zoning out with the process. 99% people would never do it but I can appreciate the time spent with Mr Miyagi ... wax on wax off ... and the deep, warmth that wax brings out..

You can't go wrong with a high quality wax so unless you just enjoy doing that, go SiO2 or step up to ceramic coating. Good luck