• The July 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 July 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Crazy Question, can I modify the Emira have a removable roof?

zzthechampion

Reaction score
I know the Exige and Elise had this function where you could remove the roof. It would be awesome to have something like the Corvette where the roof is easily removed. I know it sounds crazy but that is the one thing I wish the Emira had that it doesnt- otherwise its the perfect car for me. Would it be possible with how the car is designed or would that be a huge pain? I especially don’t want to damage any electronics.

Yeah, with enough money...I converted my 85 Rx7 into a Targa. Once thing you would have to ensure is you are not destroying the structural integrity of the car. I would be interested in stress tests with G's and how much the roof helps reduce that stress. If you remove that, the stress will be transferred to other parts and potentially causing damage.

1stgen.jpg
gh

I see, your car looks amazing! How much money are we talking, do you think?
I would feel 10k would be the right price to have a professional do it. That will include designing a latching system so the top does not fly off at speed. I would first start by seeing which business would even take this on.

I did mine myself but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have the knowledge or at least have some friends with the knowledge.

For something done properly, you are probably looking at a minimum of $6k, and to do it right probably upwards of $15k.

I would feel 10k would be the right price to have a professional do it. That will include designing a latching system so the top does not fly off at speed. I would first start by seeing which business would even take this on.

I did mine myself but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have the knowledge or at least have some friends with the knowledge.
I am definitely not handy enough to do it myself. I think 10k is very reasonable to upgrade the car is such a meaningful way.

I yearn for the same mod, but I would worry about rollover safety. Convertibles or targas have to test to ensure the cockpit can withstand a rollover. I don't know how you would test whether or not the windshield or B pillar needed extra support. Realistically, you'd probably just be taking the risk and it would "probably" never be an issue.

If you google lotus Evora roadster, you’ll find this was attempted with a first gen lotus Evora a few years back. Tons of time and money went into it and I recall the car being sold after the project was completed and the OP stopped responding to any questions about the car. Not sure if that’s a good sign.

This is the #1 thing I miss with the Emira vs Vettes... the top needs to be removable! The HTC vette was amazing and that would be even better (albeit at a 100# gain).

Back