• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Do people really dislike the covered start button?

How do you feel about the covered start button?

• It’s annoying/I don’t like it

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • I like it because it makes me feel like a fighter pilot

Votes: 47 44.3%
  • I’m indifferent

Votes: 46 43.4%

• Total voters

KCDarkV

Reaction score
Seems like every review of the Emira bags on the covered start button, either for being too try-hard or for being annoying. I just read in a comparison between the Emira and the E-Ray Corvette that it was “hard to use”!

I don’t find this to be the case at all. Maybe I’m just being defensive, but feels like they are just desperately looking for something to complain about.

What do you guys think?

I like it.
But I wish it flipped up like a Lamborghini instead of being spring loaded.

Funny thing about muscle memory though... whenever I get in my LC500 after driving the Emira I push the "P" thinking it's the start button 🧐

I voted like, hopefully I’ll like it. When/if my Emira ever arrives

I didnt like the look of it before delivery of the car. I still dont like the look (cheesy IMO) but not as irritating as before.
Im able to just put my finger in from the side and push start so dont really have to flip it up.

I love the look of it and have zero issues using it after working out a simple technique of sliding a finger under and lifting it a bit from the side... And it makes starting the car just feel a little bit more special to me.

I think it's OK. Not ugly, not pretty, just kind of there. Better with than without though.

Here's my best attempt at describing why I feel this way:

The interior of the Emira is not especially sports-car-y. It's pretty, and sleek, but it doesn't speak the traditional design language of sports cars. No round analog gauges, for example, and the HVAC switchgear is just good quality switchgear.

As such, the start/stop button is kind of just that too, a normal button. The red cover had to match the design of the rest of the interior, so it too does not look sports-car-y or utilitarian/functional fool. It looks like what it is, which is a stylized plastic cover.

I love it. Love the look and the drama it adds to the start up sequence.

A bit off topic, but I think a start/stop button with a mil-spec cover could have looked at home in the Evora GT. The interior design was much better suited to it.

I’m in the fighter jet camp. Would be nice if it was metal and flipped up but I’ll take it as is. Also like how the ring around the start button lights up.

This car is about the experience not all out performance. I think it adds to it.

And it works better if you have danger zone playing in startup. 👨‍✈️

I'm fine with it but have never flipped the cover to start the car. My finger can simply go through the cover.

I'm in the "I like it" camp. Love it or hate it, it never ceases to attract attention when someone unfamiliar with the Emira, gets into the car. It's also easy to use, once you get the hang of it (in about 5 seconds). That...along with the "mesh" covering the lower gear shift linkage...plus the less noticeable "helmet head" figure on the controls, plus the moving/visible supercharger "valve"...it's all part of the Emira charm, IMO. I think it's nice to do something unique/fun...it IS a sport (aka: FUN!) car, after all...

I don't hate it, but don't care for it either, both look-wise (looks toy-ish to me) and from a practicality standpoint. I wish they had placed the strat/stop button somewhere more ergomomically on the dash instead, with no silly gate. Would have added lightness too saving a gram or two.

Last edited:
I like it.

All the journalists choose the most complicated way to operate it so they have something to complain about.

I just slide my thumb under the right side of the cover (LHD car) and press the button. One single motion, no lifting, holding or poking the cover.

I can’t get this out of my head now that I realize what the hinged red cover looks like 👀😂

IMG_5767.jpeg

Gimmicky AF

Anyone remove it yet? Would be one of the first things I would find a way to do. Felt cheap to me.

I wasn't feeling it in the demo car which was a different interior spec than mine.

But now that I have my car and interior spec... I like it.

Like the others say...better with than without, plus you only use it for .2 seconds.

Sprinkle some drama in the startup sequence.

1721876678569.png