Do people really dislike the covered start button?

How do you feel about the covered start button?

• It’s annoying/I don’t like it

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • I like it because it makes me feel like a fighter pilot

Votes: 47 44.3%
  • I’m indifferent

Votes: 46 43.4%

• Total voters
I like it.

All the journalists choose the most complicated way to operate it so they have something to complain about.

I just slide my thumb under the right side of the cover (LHD car) and press the button. One single motion, no lifting, holding or poking the cover.
This is what I do

I like it.

All the journalists choose the most complicated way to operate it so they have something to complain about.

I just slide my thumb under the right side of the cover (LHD car) and press the button. One single motion, no lifting, holding or poking the cover.
Ok i got it now. I was using my middle finger and i guess Emira didn’t like it.

Sprinkle some drama in the startup sequence.

View attachment 48298
Thinking about the startup sequence.

What would be cool is holding down the start button longer to start in "Sports or Track mode" (to give a louder growl)

But if you simply Tap the start button it starts in "Touring"

someone reading this from lotus put that in the software update.

I like it.

Agreed. Slide thumb under, push with index finger. Easier than inserting a key and turning.

The whole freeting over it was just journalists creating fake drama.

I like it. It’s less about being a fighter pilot and more because it’s just another fun touch that Lotus included. It makes people smile when they see it - much like the Emira overall. No issues at all with startup process. Like others have said, it’s trivial to slide finger in from the side to start without lilting cover.

Agreed. Slide thumb under, push with index finger. Easier than inserting a key and turning.

The whole freeting over it was just journalists creating fake drama.

I just press with my thumb.

GMP_U2F2ZUdIMDE=.gif

Last edited:
I do the thumb thing too. I've also actually hit the "cage" over the button right after a shift. So at least in theory covering the button since it's there makes a little bit of sense. Maybe.

I wish it stayed up longer, and that it could be removed to change the color more easily. That's it.

I like it. Don’t have mine yet but when I test drive the Emira. I flirted with it a lil bit, softly touching the cover before sayin “how you doin” then I insert my finger in. My salesman was worried, and I’ll be doing that every time I start my car. Also as a student pilot, what plane can you turn on by pressing a single button?😂

I am much more bothered by the steering wheel button which I keep pressing by accident while turning the wheel

As a fighter pilot, the Emira start switch and cover are nothing like any switch gear in any 3rd 4th or 5th gen fighters I've flown.

The start switch is easy to use...Put you hand on the console and slide you right thumb under the cover and press.

View attachment 48306
Agreed. Mostly a goofy gimmick that's nothing like any guarded switches I've used for real weapons. I'm indifferent on it, but if I had a choice I'd prefer it have a detent to stay in the "up" position rather that fall limp on my finger every time I slide it underneath to start the car.

As a fighter pilot, the Emira start switch and cover are nothing like any switch gear in any 3rd 4th or 5th gen fighters I've flown.

The start switch is easy to use...Put you hand on the console and slide you right thumb under the cover and press.

View attachment 48306
Well damn, I didn't expect an actual pilot to chime in. :ROFLMAO:

There's plenty of pilots here.. Commercial aviation guarded switches are like the starter. They have to be held up to press them. Maybe military ones snap up and stay out of the way?

Seems like every review of the Emira bags on the covered start button, either for being too try-hard or for being annoying. I just read in a comparison between the Emira and the E-Ray Corvette that it was “hard to use”!

I don’t find this to be the case at all. Maybe I’m just being defensive, but feels like they are just desperately looking for something to complain about.

What do you guys think?
I don’t even think about it anymore, and it was never really an annoyance anyway.

There's plenty of pilots here.. Commercial aviation guarded switches are like the starter. They have to be held up to press them. Maybe military ones snap up and stay out of the way?
Speaking of staying out of the way, what would have been really cool is if alternatively Lotus had made that push button for a gatling gun, you know, to get rid of incompetent drivers or, a surface-to-air missile (a la James Bond) to blow up pesky police helicopters tracking you down 95 or, a mother-in-law passenger seat eject, any of which would be well deserving of a gated claw button regardless if it stayed up or down. I know, I know...wishful thinking.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back