• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira brake pads that produce less brake dust?

hugopanec

Reaction score
Hey guys! Can anybody give me tips on which brake pads to use that produce less brake dust than the OEM ones?

I've read that the EBC RedStuff pads are a solid option, but I also heard that they are a little bit problematic to fit + they have the red backing which would look awkward on my yellow calipers.

Thank you!

I just ordered the EBC pads from GRP. I've had it with the OEM pads, I can't drive 100 miles without my ceramic coated wheels looking like shit.

I always used Akebono low dust pads on my Civic Type Rs of the past, but Akebono confirmed with me over email they will not be producing pads on the Emira due to the Emira being a low volume production vehicle.

Other than EBC, I couldn't find any low dust pads made for the Emira

I just ordered the EBC pads from GRP. I've had it with the OEM pads, I can't drive 100 miles without my ceramic coated wheels looking like shit.

I always used Akebono low dust pads on my Civic Type Rs of the past, but Akebono confirmed with me over email they will not be producing pads on the Emira due to the Emira being a low volume production vehicle.

Other than EBC, I couldn't find any low dust pads made for the Emira
Did you get the red ones? Please let me know how they fit when you get them, I will order them as well!

Did you get the red ones? Please let me know how they fit when you get them, I will order them as well!
Yes I did get the red/low dust spec...Other members in the forum in the past have installed them as well. I am not aware of fitment issues but will report back

Just FYI, I have seen others on this forum have had issues with braking performance with hard driving on the Red Stuff. I use Yellow Stuff on my JCW MINI and my Evo VIII, and have been happy with them.

Just FYI, I have seen others on this forum have had issues with braking performance with hard driving on the Red Stuff. I use Yellow Stuff on my JCW MINI and my Evo VIII, and have been happy with them.

Red Stuff performance is roughly the same as OEM pads.

The OEM pads suck, I don't care much for dust - Any suggestions for better stopping power?

I'd try the EBC yellow stuff as mentioned by @Sandalwood -- they're probably not dust free but way better than stock.
Kitkat, I know you fitted the RedStuff pads to your Emira, can they simply be fitted or does the backing have to be removed as you stated? I also dislike the red color, can you see this when you put them on?

Kitkat, I know you fitted the RedStuff pads to your Emira, can they simply be fitted or does the backing have to be removed as you stated? I also dislike the red color, can you see this when you put them on?

I updated my personal car thread that removing the backing plates was probably a mistake. I was not expecting the amount of piston resistance experienced to the point where my pad spreader was flexing. You'll need to probably remove the brake reservoir cap and push the pistons back with a big thick screwdriver or otherwise. They will then fit, just barely!

I updated my personal car thread that removing the backing plates was probably a mistake. I was not expecting the amount of piston resistance experienced to the point where my pad spreader was flexing. You'll need to probably remove the brake reservoir cap and push the pistons back with a big thick screwdriver or otherwise. They will then fit, just barely!
Since you've been using them, how much less dust is there compared to stock?

Since you've been using them, how much less dust is there compared to stock?

With everyday driving it's more like 5% of the dust, with more spirited driving it's more like 1/3rd of the dust. Hopefully that makes sense: driving them harder generates more dust.

95% reduction in dust! I think I might look into them.. I would have to have a shop install them..

@kitkat anything I need to tell the shop or is it a pretty straight install? Anything to look out for?

Thanks
Ryan G

I had my wheels and calipers ceramic coated and have had zero brake dust after 3 days of normal driving. Not sure how long it will last, but happy with it so far and might be a good option for others looking to reduce brake dust.

95% reduction in dust! I think I might look into them.. I would have to have a shop install them..

@kitkat anything I need to tell the shop or is it a pretty straight install? Anything to look out for?

Thanks
Ryan G
It’s straight forward they just need to push the pistons back fully which may require cracking the brake reservoir cap open, that mean removing the 3 bolts for the hood.

I had my wheels and calipers ceramic coated and have had zero brake dust after 3 days of normal driving. Not sure how long it will last, but happy with it so far and might be a good option for others looking to reduce brake dust.

I don’t share the same experience with ceramic coated wheels and brake dust. 🤷

It’s straight forward they just need to push the pistons back fully which may require cracking the brake reservoir cap open, that mean removing the 3 bolts for the hood.
Thank you very much for this. I will ask my shop what they think about pricing on this (they ain't cheap), because the break dust is killing me.

p.s. I have never had a car where I ceramic coated the wheels and calipers (I have done many) where it cut down on brake dust, it only made it easier to clean off... I still get the same amount of dust sadly.