• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira drag race- off the line like a stabbed rat

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Interesting! Not clear to me whether the acceleration numbers they posted up were actually measured by them, but if so 4.1 0-60 would be pretty impressive given the slow gearshift.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
christ that M2

BMW routinely underrates their turbo engines. Like alluded to in the test, some games are being played.

Fast car, no doubt, but I doubt it will be as engaging to drive as the Emira. And the look of it - it was done wrong, very wrong. It is in pain.

Edit: Overall a strong showing for the Emira if you ask me. The differences are small enough that it's up to the driver and how much they are willing to abuse the transmission.

Edit Edit: An I4 Emira with the full 400HP and launch control should outrun these guys and get under 4 seconds for 0-60.

Reactions: ADC

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A 0-60 in 4.1 seconds and a 1/4 mile in the mid-12's is actually pretty impressive for the Emira! I noticed it also has the least amount of torque.

Mustang - 500 hp 418 lb-ft.
BMW M2 - 453 hp 406 lb-ft.
Supra - 382 hp 368 lb-ft.
Emira - 400 hp 310 lb-ft.

Notice that the two vehicles with the least amount of torque came in last. However, the Emira was surprisingly much closer than I would have expected. It won't take much in modding to make it impressive indeed.
Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 12.03.26 PM.png

Reactions: ADC

hentzG

Reaction score
Interesting comparison. I recently drove both, new M2 and Emira V6. From the feeling the M2 felt a lot faster.

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Great video. Regardless of the drag race pecking order, the Emira is the only one I could see myself parking and then looking back over my shoulder at with a smile as I walk away. And all of these cars would be handily smoked in a straight line by any of a number of EV grocery getters.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A 0-60 in 4.1 seconds and a 1/4 mile in the mid-12's is actually pretty impressive for the Emira! I noticed it also has the least amount of torque.

Mustang - 500 hp 418 lb-ft.
BMW M2 - 453 hp 406 lb-ft.
Supra - 382 hp 368 lb-ft.
Emira - 400 hp 310 lb-ft.

Notice that the two vehicles with the least amount of torque came in last. However, the Emira was surprisingly much closer than I would have expected. It won't take much in modding to make it impressive indeed.
View attachment 33291

It's less about the torque amount rather than the shape of the torque curve. All three of the other cars, including the normally aspirated Mustang, has a pronounced downward slope past the peak torque output. This causes a "fat" HP curve which has more total area under the curve than a similar peak HP rated engine that has a flat torque curve like the Emira V6.

MajHall04

Emira Fan
Reaction score
BMW routinely underrates their turbo engines. Like alluded to in the test, some games are being played.

Fast car, no doubt, but I doubt it will be as engaging to drive as the Emira. And the look of it - it was done wrong, very wrong. It is in pain.

Edit: Overall a strong showing for the Emira if you ask me. The differences are small enough that it's up to the driver and how much they are willing to abuse the transmission.

Edit Edit: An I4 Emira with the full 400HP and launch control should outrun these guys and get under 4 seconds for 0-60.
I think the M2 auto would still outrun the dct emira.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think the M2 auto would still outrun the dct emira.
That I am not sure. The M2 would still have a power advantage but the weight to power ratio us significantly in the Emira's favor and the Emira I4 will have the same "fat" HP curve profile because it is also a turbo engine.

Of course I am just paper racing here. Lol.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Glad someone posted this. I thought it was a good video too. I really need to drive an M2, M4, or M3. I loved BMWs when I was a teenager but the looks over the years pushed me away. I do want to experience what everyone talks about.

I too vote I4 DCT over the M2!

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Glad someone posted this. I thought it was a good video too. I really need to drive an M2, M4, or M3. I loved BMWs when I was a teenager but the looks over the years pushed me away. I do want to experience what everyone talks about.

Weirdly, one of the most fun to drive BMWs is actually the M240i. It's nowhere near as raw as the M cars, but has great balance. They made the earlier ones in RWD with a manual (M235i) and I think that might end up being a driver's car bargain on the used market in the next few years.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Weirdly, one of the most fun to drive BMWs is actually the M240i. It's nowhere near as raw as the M cars, but has great balance. They made the earlier ones in RWD with a manual (M235i) and I think that might end up being a driver's car bargain on the used market in the next few years.
Yes, I found this out the hard way when a M240i punked me in my STI. :ROFLMAO:

MajHall04

Emira Fan
Reaction score

I have an i4 on order. I wished they would have kept the price at 85k

scarzie

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The Emira did better than I thought it would!

M2 is no surprise, the S58 is a beast. Love it in my X3M

K_Squared

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was actually really impressed with the Emira's performance given that I view its straight-line speed as "decent" from my test drive (albeit a short and traffic-filled one). This was actually fairly encouraging to me as I would've probably guessed the Emira comes in last here. That said, it matters even less once you look at this for a minute or two:

The Emira is not even close when it comes to looks. Whilst the M2 may have been the winner, it still has the face only a mother could love. As a BMW fan, I could never see myself in that thing but I'll admit it is great bang for the buck in terms of pure performance.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 3.14.05 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 3.14.05 PM.png
    175.8 KB · Views: 49

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was actually really impressed with the Emira's performance given that I view its straight-line speed as "decent" from my test drive (albeit a short and traffic-filled one). This was actually fairly encouraging to me as I would've probably guessed the Emira comes in last here. That said, it matters even less once you look at this for a minute or two:

The Emira is not even close when it comes to looks. Whilst the M2 may have been the winner, it still has the face only a mother could love. As a BMW fan, I could never see myself in that thing but I'll admit it is great bang for the buck in terms of pure performance.
Yeah when you look at that front view of all of them side by side, the others look thick and bulky, while the Emira looks like a knife wedge hovering just above ground level.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What are our rankings? For me:

1. Emira
2. Mustang
3. Challenger
4. Camaro
5. M2
6. MX5