Emira Initial Impressions - It's Heavy, Far Too Heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta

Reaction score
This week I had the opportunity to spend some decent driving the Emira and I figured I would share my initial impressions on the car.

First of all I've had the opportunity to have some pretty amazing cars go through my hands, including the Ferrari 458 Italia, Porsche 991.2 GT3, 991.2 GT3RS and Mclaren 720s. I also have decent track time in everything from shifter karts to the McLaren Super Sport series. To be clear I enjoy aggressive cars, and I detest cars that try to be a compromise between a daily driver and a performance sports car, that's how you end up with overweight bloated cars like the new Z06, and unfortunately to a great extent the Emira.

With that all being said, here are my thoughts on the Emira. Some of it is great, some of it is bad.

One of the things that most surprised me upon seeing the car in person was its size, it looks very small in pictures but much larger in person, especially parked next to the McLaren 720. In my opinion the roof is too tall, you could probably comfortably fit even if you were 6’10”, there’s that much head room. Aside from the tall roof line, the car is beautiful, and the attention to detail and finish were top rate, I was very impressed with the build quality.

The thing I most liked about the Emira was the shifter feel, probably the best I have felt in any stock vehicle, very rifle bolt like, short and tight, extremely positive engagement and very satisfying to row through the gears. The shift knob is just the right size, although I feel like the reverse selector donut could be positioned lower so that you could get a full hand on the shifter knob without interfering with where your fingers naturally want to rest. Gearing wise I feel like the ratios could be closer, especially considering the somewhat low power, at least lower than what I'm used to.

The car sounds very good, although quite muted, I personally think it could do with less sound isolation between the cabin and engine (an aftermarket exhaust would also help). With that said the exhaust note is very satisfying up to redline, though the redline should really be about 500-1000 rpm higher, the redline does not feel natural at 6800, it’s far too low. With that said the V6 is a terrific engine, and I have absolutely no interest in the turbo 4 cylinder.

The seats were quite comfortable, but I much prefer the bucket seats in the GT3 and 720s. The steering wheel is too thick, especially at the 3:00 and 9:00 o'clock position, there is no way around it, it feels massive, especially if you are used to a GT3 or Mclaren steering wheel.

The steel brakes are very touchy especially on initial bite, however when aggressively driving the car they feel great and have a very positive engagement.

Now let me get on to my biggest take away from the Emira. It's heavy, far too heavy.

On paper, the Emira should feel somewhat light, it’s about the same weight as the GT3, however with the lack of Porsche’s rear wheel steering, and with the Emira’s relatively soft suspension, the car feels far heavier than the GT3. Furthermore, the Emira is significantly down on power, in order for the Emira to have a similar power to weight ratio as the GT3, it would have to weigh about 2550 lbs. wet. Driving the cars back-to-back, the Porsche feels much nimbler, it is more firm, and the steering is of course, very quick and sharp. The ride on the Emira is very comfortable, but it feels soft and there is very little feedback through either the steering wheel or the chassis, the result is that the car feels very isolated from the road.

The Emira is unfortunately a compromised sports car, just like the huge and heavy C8 Z06 however with a far worse power to weight ratio than the Z06. It's extremely sad how a company like Lotus which is renowned for their lightweight, nimble heritage, goes from a car like the Exige 430 Cup which weighs 2400 lbs. wet, to the Emira at 3200 lbs. wet.

The Emira is begging for a stripped out light weight R version, which I hope would address my most prominent concern about the car.

Lotus had the perfect recipe with the Exige 430, why they didn't make an Emira styled US compliant evolution of the Exige I will never understand, it would have been a world beater, with a reservation list larger than Porsche GT cars.

Unfortunately, it seems Lotus has lost its way.

Thanks for posting your thoughts about the Emira in comparison to all the other great cars you have owned!

Out of interest, what suspension setup was on the Emira you were driving?

This almost feels like an AI post since literally every critique has been said many times here. 🤔

Even so.. The vehicles you're comparing the Emira to are at least x2 the price. And the Evora, the Emira's predecessor, has been out for nearly 20 years and weighs almost as much. So it's not like Lotus "lost their way" with the Emira. It's still a nimble and relatively lightweight mid-engine sportscar offered with 400HP and 3 pedals. Nothing else to fairly compare it to in the North American market except the Cayman right now.

We have an entire subforum dedicated to the Emira vs the competition, which is where I'm moving this thread.

C8 z06 isn't 2x the price though...
I've driven both pretty aggressively. The C8 (Z51 not Z06) is quite powerful but the steering is dead. It'll go where you want but there's very little feedback. Still fun to drive however.

The problem with posts like these is they fail to take into account the slight detail of Lotus needing to stay in business. What I read is the reviewer is disappointed that Lotus designed and made a car for other people besides him, thus that means they "lost their way". (Is this guy's first name Jethro by any chance?) The problem with that assessment is they had already been making the car he wanted, and it didn't provide them with "a reservation list larger than Porsche GT cars". They were going out of business as a result. The path that Lotus took with the Emira took them from selling 30 cars a week, to taking 500 deposits A DAY during it's debut week. In the business world that isn't called losing your way, it's called finally hitting the vein of gold you'd been trying to find after mining for decades.

The performance parameters of the Emira were originally designed and specced for a retail price of £59,999, and that was the MSRP price, not the manufacturing cost. The Emira is that car with all the options added as a bundle. Reviewers should be evaluating the car based on that number, not the covid-inflation-impacted First Edition with all the options number we have today. Those factors are what increased the price, not careless or lazy design from Lotus. The base edition model will have the exact same engine/chassis/brakes that the FE has, which is what they specced the car's performance for originally. If we had that car right now (which is what it's performance was designed for) at an MSRP of £59,999, would people still be complaining about how it doesn't perform like cars costing 2-4 times as much? I have the Touring suspension on mine, and I can't imagine anyone driving around on some of the roads in my area and complaining the suspension is too soft. He doesn't want a street car or road car, he wants a track car.

If the reviewer really wants the Emira he was complaining it isn't, just buy a used one and gut it. Switch out the seats to light-weight carbon fiber, replace the battery and exhaust system with lightweight aftermarket parts, and get either a Komotec or Jubu tune. According to his review, he wants the car to weigh 2550 lbs which, with the 400 hp stock, would give it a weight to power ratio of 6.375. By just replacing the battery, seats and exhaust, he'd just need a tune that would increase the power to 488 hp and he'd have his weight to power ratio. That tune and even more is already available. If he further guts the sound deadening materials in the interior, it would be even more exciting. It wouldn't be street legal and you wouldn't be able to hear yourself think when driving it, but you'd have that weight to power ratio or better, he thinks is ideal.

The Emira was designed for a different segment of the market that has a far greater number of customers than the segment he's in. If Geely can readjust it's vision for Lotus to adapt to the current reality that going all EV isn't going to work, and start going hybrid like everyone else is, then the Emira will lead the way to staying in business which is hopefully what every Lotus customer really wants to see. Staying in business and making a profit enables them to make other cars, even specialty cars that are more track focused. Lotus hasn't lost their way, they're trying to stay in business.

I really appreciate people talking about their individual preferences and truly believe that no car is inherently "right or wrong", but needs to suit the driver. I have my Emira, so not reading this post to help inform a decision, but just for the pleasure of hearing others give their take.

That being said - all that detail and no mention of the suspension setup or tire that you drove? Nor the road types or conditions? Your driving style?

To echo above, high praise for the Emira being compered with GT3. And I really appreciate the OP stating up front that they don't like sports cars compromised for road use (which I think means, they like track cars)

One of the things that most surprised me upon seeing the car in person was its size, it looks very small in pictures but much larger in person, especially parked next to the McLaren 720.
:unsure:

IMG_6654.jpeg

IMG_6655.jpeg

Love the comparisons to the Ferrari 458 Italia, Porsche 991.2 GT3, 991.2 GT3RS, Mclaren 720s and Z06. That's what I'm talking about. 😎 Also sounds like OP drove touring.

The Emira isn't as assisted or expensive as the GT3, lacking rear steer, electric steering and torque vectoring. It does require more steering effort and attention to hustle the car due to being more analog. It's different, but not a bad thing. There's a trade off between assisted performance and analog feedback.

This comparison was a between the most base, soft, "daily"-friendly version (Emira) against one of the most hardcore, radically expensive versions (GT3) and there's confusion about why they aren't equivalent?

Plus there's well north of $100k price difference between them!

Forgive me, but I don't get it. Why aren't you comparing the Emira FE V6 against the base 911 Carrera?

This comparison was a between the most base, soft, "daily"-friendly version (Emira) against one of the most hardcore, radically expensive versions (GT3) and there's confusion about why they aren't equivalent?

Forgive me, but I don't get it. Why aren't you comparing the Emira FE V6 against the base 911 Carrera?

I really think OP is an AI bot. I'll give them 24 hours to respond back, otherwise I'm deleting this thread.

Or even its direct competitor, the 718 GTS?

And the high roofline? I’ve never for a second thought that it was too high given that the Emira is so well proportioned. Its actually lower in height than the 718 GTS and a full 100mm thinner.

And “very little feedback”!!!

There really is very little I agree with in this review.

Now I just need to get mine fixed/replaced (!!!!!) so that I can drive around in a high roof lined sports car that’s soft with no feel.

I see no issue with controversial opinions. I agree with many the op made. however, I don’t believe Lotus has lost its way with the Emira. In fact I think it has grown up a bit and decided to play in the major leagues. Future versions s and r should they come give room for more hardcore variants. However to sell to a wider audience you don’t just come out with a GT3, you have a base 911 and a 911 S. It’s silly to criticize the emira as not being as hardcore as the most hardcore lotus before it or the most hardcore Porsche product. That’s apples to watermelons. It would be just as silly to say the 911 S is a failure because it’s not as sharp and hardcore as. GT3RS. They are different products.

Comparisons to mainline sportscars like the cayman, corvette and 911 are all fair, the fact that it begins to approach the experience of the hardcore and much higher priced alternatives is a compliment.

I would also prefer the emira to be lighter but it is not a showstopper, I think if they shortened the steering ratio the car would feel more nimble and lighter despite no weight loss. It’s a decision they made to develop a more stable platform. It’s more GT/HPDE than a go kart or auto cross machine.

I see no issue with controversial opinions. I agree with many the op made. however, I don’t believe Lotus has lost its way with the Emira. In fact I think it has grown up a bit and decided to play in the major leagues. Future versions s and r should they come give room for more hardcore variants. However to sell to a wider audience you don’t just come out with a GT3, you have a base 911 and a 911 S. It’s silly to criticize the emira as not being as hardcore as the most hardcore lotus before it or the most hardcore Porsche product. That’s apples to watermelons. It would be just as silly to say the 911 S is a failure because it’s not as sharp and hardcore as. GT3RS. They are different products.

Comparisons to mainline sportscars like the cayman, corvette and 911 are all fair, the fact that it begins to approach the experience of the hardcore and much higher priced alternatives is a compliment.

I would also prefer the emira to be lighter but it is not a showstopper, I think if they shortened the steering ratio the car would feel more nimble and lighter despite no weight loss. It’s a decision they made to develop a more stable platform. It’s more GT/HPDE than a go kart or auto cross machine.
There's nothing wrong with controversial opinions, but there is something wrong with taking a dump in the pool and leaving.

This week I had the opportunity to spend some decent driving the Emira and I figured I would share my initial impressions on the car.

First of all I've had the opportunity to have some pretty amazing cars go through my hands, including the Ferrari 458 Italia, Porsche 991.2 GT3, 991.2 GT3RS and Mclaren 720s. I also have decent track time in everything from shifter karts to the McLaren Super Sport series. To be clear I enjoy aggressive cars, and I detest cars that try to be a compromise between a daily driver and a performance sports car, that's how you end up with overweight bloated cars like the new Z06, and unfortunately to a great extent the Emira.

With that all being said, here are my thoughts on the Emira. Some of it is great, some of it is bad.

One of the things that most surprised me upon seeing the car in person was its size, it looks very small in pictures but much larger in person, especially parked next to the McLaren 720. In my opinion the roof is too tall, you could probably comfortably fit even if you were 6’10”, there’s that much head room. Aside from the tall roof line, the car is beautiful, and the attention to detail and finish were top rate, I was very impressed with the build quality.

The thing I most liked about the Emira was the shifter feel, probably the best I have felt in any stock vehicle, very rifle bolt like, short and tight, extremely positive engagement and very satisfying to row through the gears. The shift knob is just the right size, although I feel like the reverse selector donut could be positioned lower so that you could get a full hand on the shifter knob without interfering with where your fingers naturally want to rest. Gearing wise I feel like the ratios could be closer, especially considering the somewhat low power, at least lower than what I'm used to.

The car sounds very good, although quite muted, I personally think it could do with less sound isolation between the cabin and engine (an aftermarket exhaust would also help). With that said the exhaust note is very satisfying up to redline, though the redline should really be about 500-1000 rpm higher, the redline does not feel natural at 6800, it’s far too low. With that said the V6 is a terrific engine, and I have absolutely no interest in the turbo 4 cylinder.

The seats were quite comfortable, but I much prefer the bucket seats in the GT3 and 720s. The steering wheel is too thick, especially at the 3:00 and 9:00 o'clock position, there is no way around it, it feels massive, especially if you are used to a GT3 or Mclaren steering wheel.

The steel brakes are very touchy especially on initial bite, however when aggressively driving the car they feel great and have a very positive engagement.

Now let me get on to my biggest take away from the Emira. It's heavy, far too heavy.

On paper, the Emira should feel somewhat light, it’s about the same weight as the GT3, however with the lack of Porsche’s rear wheel steering, and with the Emira’s relatively soft suspension, the car feels far heavier than the GT3. Furthermore, the Emira is significantly down on power, in order for the Emira to have a similar power to weight ratio as the GT3, it would have to weigh about 2550 lbs. wet. Driving the cars back-to-back, the Porsche feels much nimbler, it is more firm, and the steering is of course, very quick and sharp. The ride on the Emira is very comfortable, but it feels soft and there is very little feedback through either the steering wheel or the chassis, the result is that the car feels very isolated from the road.

The Emira is unfortunately a compromised sports car, just like the huge and heavy C8 Z06 however with a far worse power to weight ratio than the Z06. It's extremely sad how a company like Lotus which is renowned for their lightweight, nimble heritage, goes from a car like the Exige 430 Cup which weighs 2400 lbs. wet, to the Emira at 3200 lbs. wet.

The Emira is begging for a stripped out light weight R version, which I hope would address my most prominent concern about the car.

Lotus had the perfect recipe with the Exige 430, why they didn't make an Emira styled US compliant evolution of the Exige I will never understand, it would have been a world beater, with a reservation list larger than Porsche GT cars.

Unfortunately, it seems Lotus has lost its way.
Delta' one and only post...Seems like (he/she or it) wanted to brag on their stable of cars and bash the Emira. Job done I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.