• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira reservation woes, and other car woes... feedback appreciated!

I don't know much about the used car situation in the USA or anything about the new car tax. For me , if I loose less than 15% of the new car money (Tax included), I would buy a fancy car before Emira arrives. For example, a new M3 costs $138000 (Tax included, 10% of purchase tax )in China, if I could get no less than $118000 when I sell it after 2 years, I will buy it. ;)

I have opted to wait, whatever the wait is -- and not bother with the M3 at all. Yes, I'll lose some enjoyment for the year I don't have anything, but when I get the Emira the difference between driving an SUV and *that* will be astounding.

I'd rather be patient and not lose the $10-15k, and as suggested by somebody else -- take up a few track days and training as the delivery nears instead.
Good choice! Becoming a better driver makes you able to exploit the fun factor in any car. Money well spent.

buy a used e92 m3 or m2 for fun, drive for a year, sell it for what you paid for, problem solved - being able to enjoy a fun car while minimizing depreciation. If you some want something different could get a corvette c7 z06 and do the same.

Eh. No on the M3.

Just no.

It's a SEDAN. Get a slightly used Mazda MX-5 RF. a LOT more fun than a bmw sedan. half the price or less, and not built like crap. Your Lotus emira will be low on storage, so you dont care about that. The M3 looks like a basic car. the RF is one of the most beautiful cars made. That's my vote. Or buy something oddball and older for a year and a half wait.

Eh. No on the M3.

Just no.

It's a SEDAN. Get a slightly used Mazda MX-5 RF. a LOT more fun than a bmw sedan. half the price or less, and not built like crap. Your Lotus emira will be low on storage, so you dont care about that. The M3 looks like a basic car. the RF is one of the most beautiful cars made. That's my vote. Or buy something oddball and older for a year and a half wait.
If I was to do anything, it'd probably be this... though a very fair shortage of MX-5s out there used, and at the price points I am seeing them, I might as well buy a new one and get some peace of mind in its reliability.

In fairness though, my dealer told me it's about a year wait -- so when I go in for the test drive and talk to them in person I'll validate that. My deposit was just a month ago so I have reservations on that accuracy, but at the same time -- who knows? Once I get some validation on that I'll decide whether I want to burn a few grand on a fun toy car, just in worrying about the depreciation etc for the time I'll get to enjoy it.

I would wait for the car you really want but may want to keep your options open.

I currently drive a Cayman.... However in my case I have 3 deposits down all at MSRP 100% refundable
Emira V6 (put down July 21)
M2/M3 BMW (put down April 22)
911 S or GTS (put down June 22)

All are about a year out or longer. Only buying one of them but will make decisions as actual allocations come available to configure. 100% need a manual so my options are limited.

I would wait for the car you really want but may want to keep your options open.

I currently drive a Cayman.... However in my case I have 3 deposits down all at MSRP 100% refundable
Emira V6 (put down July 21)
M2/M3 BMW (put down April 22)
911 S or GTS (put down June 22)

All are about a year out or longer. Only buying one of them but will make decisions as actual allocations come available to configure. 100% need a manual so my options are limited.
I'm in the same boat -- a manual is a *must*!

That said, I'm driving around an SUV and you're driving around a Cayman, so our level of enjoyment is quite disparate ;)

If I was to do anything, it'd probably be this... though a very fair shortage of MX-5s out there used, and at the price points I am seeing them, I might as well buy a new one and get some peace of mind in its reliability.
my MX-5 Club RF is awesome. iF the emira does not come, I am actually fine. That's saying A LOT.

my MX-5 Club RF is awesome. iF the emira does not come, I am actually fine. That's saying A LOT.
Looks like 2022 mx-5 club models are sold out in US

I’m in the U.K. I had an M3 Comp which was due for delivery in April. Kept getting delayed & was eventually revised to a Nov delivery… so I cancelled it…
Was a smart more as now losing a fair whack off list as lots around on used market suddenly…
No idea on US residuals, but that would be a key thing to look at.

I have opted to wait, whatever the wait is -- and not bother with the M3 at all. Yes, I'll lose some enjoyment for the year I don't have anything, but when I get the Emira the difference between driving an SUV and *that* will be astounding.

I'd rather be patient and not lose the $10-15k, and as suggested by somebody else -- take up a few track days and training as the delivery nears instead.
You're in the Emira for the long haul, might think about taking a little bit of the sting out of the purchase. Take whatever you'd spend on M3 payments each month and pound that into an investment account, savings or knock off a couple of bills so you've got a little financial headroom when it finally arrives.

There are 2 answers here.

1. Life is short, Drive the M3 until the Emira shows up... Probably won't be a huge loss after a year or so driving. (Depends what you consider a huge loss? 20K?)

2. Financially speaking, you should wait for the Emira if that is the car you want and are OK with not driving a sports car in all of 2023....

Me personally, I would wait for the Emira and take 5-10K from the 20K you would have spent on the M3, go to Arizona and do some track driving with the Radford guys for a couple days on the Evora...
Yeah good advice, especially with the tumultuous state of the global economy today. I hear you though, waiting sucks...:)

In hindsight I think you will be happy with that decision! Hey at least you've been able to drive one...:)

I’ve driven one before — not this year, and they are nice cars for sure, but doubly don’t want to waste money and want the discrepancy of what I drive now versus what I get to be ridiculous.

I’m patient, I’ve waited a long time, a bit more won’t hurt.
NO it's gunna hurt...:)