• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:
Why is it one or the other? Reviewing a car also involves comparing it to other cars as well as the value proposition it offers.
True... I think that the new year being around the corner and knowing I won't be getting an Emira in 2023 (and depositing in Sept '21) has left me a little more bitter than usual on the forum. Maybe I am just reading too much into it. I have definitely learned this year to lower some expectations going into 2023 when it comes to everything Lotus. I really hope the next batch of UK guys and then hopefully the US customers report back with glowing results. Not just from the car itself, but that Lotus is improving in other metrics, I will leave it there as not to derail the reviews thread.

It’s hard for reviewers to be completely dispassionate and just review how the car is to drive and live with.

A particular model, variant and badge will always have connotations of history, sporting success, reliability, image, customer service, quality etc. New brands like Tesla and Polestar have to create those from scratch. Cars like the 911 draw on a big foundation. Lotus has prior strengths to draw on and weaknesses to overcome.

It’s an interesting thought experiment to consider how the Emira would have been received if it had been the Evora Series 3, a Polestar or Lynk ICE sports car or the new base model Aston Martin.

Tony lost me at the Evora is a pile of crap, and the mere mention of an F-Type. That’s fine, he wants comfort and doesn’t care at all about driving dynamics. f-types exist for people like him, and they’re fine. Me, I like my sports cars to be sporting.

It’s true though that Emira lives in the space between Lotus purists who think it’s too soft and heavy and Porsche purists who think it’s not refined or clinically competent enough.
Great place to be for the average aging petrol head! 🤣😂🤣

I watched the STG podcast and listened to Tony's take on this.

I think the guy is really interesting. Not because I think his opinions are good, but rather as a sort of avatar for the most highly opinionated but lowest-information man that you might meet on the street. You may know the type... "vibe" takes only, with very little substantive info or experience at work in the formation of an opinion.

He isn't actually interested in the car itself as a thing to be driven and evaluated on its own merits. On the contrary, he's focused on what it "means" within his narrow set of incentives, and what it represents, both as a thing he can (or can't) make a consistent commercial business out of reselling as used product, and also as a person who is clearly more motivated by ego than by dynamic experience.

He doesn't like Lotus because he didn't like what they failed to do for him a decade ago, or two decades ago. In his mental model the brand is poison to his perception of the product. For Tony it's apparently not about whether the Emira is a good or worthwhile automobile in terms of engineering, construction, or driver feedback; it's about whether the consensus market perception says that it's good, including both current and past brand reputation. And for him to say good things about a Lotus in this particular case would require the market perception of the new product to so exceed his expectations that it soothes over and makes up for all the ways he has ever been disappointed or unimpressed by a Lotus product.

The guy loves Porsche because he doesn't have to do any work to sell one. People know what it is, and they want to have that, and they come to him to seek it out. The "vibe" of demand exists without supply. Therefore it's a "good" car because a mass of people think it's desirable, and any car that doesn't meet the same level of automatic mass-market desirability is "shit" in his opinion because it doesn't have the same automatic appeal. So by extension, in his mental model, any product that appeals primarily to niche customers was always going to be regarded as "shit", no matter how good it might be on technical merit, because if it was "good" then everyone would already want one, it wouldn't be niche, and there would be nothing to explain. Easy money is good, and not-so-easy money is shit, and that's the end of the discussion.

It's a bit like watching a dog try to do a math problem. It's simply not in the dog's capacity to operate outside his narrow set of incentives. The dog wants food, not math.

For those of us who love cars because of what they do, and how we feel when we drive them, Tony's whole perspective feels sort of crass and dismissive. Because, well, it is.

Just watching now, good video so far! Only thing I noticed which I could easy be wrong with, but when he shows the dipstick and says "you can't easily see it but you'll just have to believe me that it's tucked down in there", I'm pretty sure it is missing! Looks like there is a tube with nothing in it roughly where I remember mine being...

Last edited:
Just watching now, good video so far! Only think I noticed which I could easy be wrong with, but when he shows the dipstick and says "you can't easily see it but you'll just have to believe me that it's tucked down in there", I'm pretty sure it is missing! Looks like there is a tube with nothing in it roughly where I remember mine being...
It's a great watch with some far more in-depth details about the car but I won't spoil it for you if you're still watching it!

It's a great watch with some far more in-depth details about the car but I won't spoil it for you if you're still watching it!

Finished it now, great video and I agree with basically everything he has said!

And, me!

Pretty much summed up everything we've learnt from the early car owners on here and gave a few interesting insights into more mundane parts of the car that don't normally become apparent until you own one.

The only new negatives that I could pick from it was that the plastic areas to access the dipstick looked very flimsy and the access to the battery could be a bit better considering it needs to be on trickle charge when not in use regularly.

I'm not pre-disposed to like Schmee, albeit that's a personal prejudice, but given he has a certain following and his words carry some level of weight with the greater fraternity, I will say his couple of pieces on the Emira have seemed rather good and generally positive. I'd rather he'd driven it a bit more before delivering an initial verdict but he has at least been honest about that and noting things like the 4K "limit" for the first 1K miles. He has touched on a lot of the practicality issues that have been debated here and makes probably the best point of all being that, at the price it is, it's the options cost on some of the stuff he has and he's still planning on doing quite a lot with it.

The dip stick is there. It's the yellow ring looking thing with the black mark on it.

Good overview, once again didn't really learn anything new. I am waiting for the next round of US YouTube/Car Mag's to start dropping reviews and getting some opinions from this side of the pond. I think we have seen everyone's verdict on the car and 90% of journalists have been on the same page, so I don't expect any major revelations, although interested in some of their points of view.

The dip stick is there. It's the yellow ring looking thing with the black mark on it.

You're right, I rewatched it just now (in fullscreen and HD this time... 🤦‍♂️) and what I thought was a tube in roughly the right spot is in fact the dipstick, the black mark is what I thought was the hole in the tube! Should've worn my glasses before commenting😂

Anyone seen this yet? I'm not in the UK at the moment (although I have asked the other half to pop out to the newsagents for me...).

1673018012630.png

Mine literally just arrived through the letterbox.
The seven drivers are
Clive Chapman
Paul Matty
June Matty
Rich Duisberg (current Elise owner)
Scott Winterberg (currently on the waiting list)
Thomas Woolley (classic lotus owner)
Adam Wilkins (magazine editor)
without giving too much away, they seemed to quite like it!

Last edited:
I watched the STG podcast and listened to Tony's take on this.

I think the guy is really interesting. Not because I think his opinions are good, but rather as a sort of avatar for the most highly opinionated but lowest-information man that you might meet on the street. You may know the type... "vibe" takes only, with very little substantive info or experience at work in the formation of an opinion.

He isn't actually interested in the car itself as a thing to be driven and evaluated on its own merits. On the contrary, he's focused on what it "means" within his narrow set of incentives, and what it represents, both as a thing he can (or can't) make a consistent commercial business out of reselling as used product, and also as a person who is clearly more motivated by ego than by dynamic experience.

He doesn't like Lotus because he didn't like what they failed to do for him a decade ago, or two decades ago. In his mental model the brand is poison to his perception of the product. For Tony it's apparently not about whether the Emira is a good or worthwhile automobile in terms of engineering, construction, or driver feedback; it's about whether the consensus market perception says that it's good, including both current and past brand reputation. And for him to say good things about a Lotus in this particular case would require the market perception of the new product to so exceed his expectations that it soothes over and makes up for all the ways he has ever been disappointed or unimpressed by a Lotus product.

The guy loves Porsche because he doesn't have to do any work to sell one. People know what it is, and they want to have that, and they come to him to seek it out. The "vibe" of demand exists without supply. Therefore it's a "good" car because a mass of people think it's desirable, and any car that doesn't meet the same level of automatic mass-market desirability is "shit" in his opinion because it doesn't have the same automatic appeal. So by extension, in his mental model, any product that appeals primarily to niche customers was always going to be regarded as "shit", no matter how good it might be on technical merit, because if it was "good" then everyone would already want one, it wouldn't be niche, and there would be nothing to explain. Easy money is good, and not-so-easy money is shit, and that's the end of the discussion.

It's a bit like watching a dog try to do a math problem. It's simply not in the dog's capacity to operate outside his narrow set of incentives. The dog wants food, not math.

For those of us who love cars because of what they do, and how we feel when we drive them, Tony's whole perspective feels sort of crass and dismissive. Because, well, it is.
Spot-on analysis. As a business person engaged in reselling second-hand cars, he must have the mentality of quickly assessing a wide range of brands and models. Unless his business is especially data-driven, which is unlikely, he will mostly rely on gut feeling or simplified impressions. This is a very useful tactic for his business, which I am sure he is very successful at. However, it can be a poor fit for impressions of a car/brand like Lotus' Emira.