• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira vs … Miata?

I like the looks of the RF better than the soft top. Car still weighs only 2450 pounds or so; with the RF having closer to 50-50 weight distribution over the ST.
7rv03390-enhanced-nr.jpeg

Ahh the eternal ST vs RF battle is back!

Well, although one can never really win an argument over tastes, perhaps it was an MX-5 Forum member who once said this, that said it best: "with the top up the RF looks better, with it down the ST looks better". I, for one, can settle for that compromise despite the fact that I've always preferred the ST.

What I've always found misleading was the choice of the RF designation, because it's actually not a Retractable Roof, as was, in fact, the case of NC. Instead, it's more like a Retractable Targa Top since only the roof's mid-section remains open. Can't quite figure out why Mazda didn't continue to apply the NC's hardtop convertible technology to the ND generation and offer that as an option to the Soft Top. Perhaps it was killed due to extra weight and reduced trunk space?

Ahh the eternal ST vs RF battle is back!

Well, although one can never really win an argument over tastes, perhaps it was an MX-5 Forum member who once said this, that said it best: "with the top up the RF looks better, with it down the ST looks better". I, for one, can settle for that compromise despite the fact that I've always preferred the ST.

What I've always found misleading was the choice of the RF designation, because it's actually not a Retractable Roof, as was, in fact, the case of NC. Instead, it's more like a Retractable Targa Top since only the roof's mid-section remains open. Can't quite figure out why Mazda didn't continue to apply the NC's hardtop convertible technology to the ND generation and offer that as an option to the Soft Top. Perhaps it was killed due to extra weight and reduced trunk space?
The PRHT, cool though it was, required quite a bit of "adjustment" to the Miata. The rear fenders were about 4mm higher or something like that, and the rear decklid was different and made from steel rather than aluminum. I think the RF was intended to require less modification to other panels.

To me, it boiled down to this: apart from being about 100 lb. Lighter (add lightness?), the ragtop is a more immersive elemental experience with the top down, not to mention the super cool experience of raising or lowering the top in 2 seconds with one swift motion.

Is the RF quieter on the road?

I have been daily driving the Emira to work and the road noise is quite annoying here in Texas on concrete roads.

I really loved my two NA Miatas. the first was a supercharged STO, the second a burgundy M. In many ways they set the tone for me on playful RWD sports cars. And I thought of them at the time as Lotus homages, if not outright copies. I really loved the lightness -- I could feel the difference with a passenger in the car.

When the NB, NC and ND came out, I went to try them. No dice. At 6'3 it was simply not possible to fit. And the hardtop one is even worse.

With that said and two months into Emira ownership, the car it reminds me most of is the Miata. It has that playful feel and definitely responds well to momentum driving. It's like a Jack Russel in an obstacle course.

I'm intrigued by how many of you chose the RF Miata over the regular vert. To me the regular vert top is so easy to use there's no need for a power top especially when you lose some of the open air feeling. Of course I own a Pontiac Solstice GXP so I have learned to live with sub optimal top operation for awhile.

I have a '23 RF, but only because it's my wife's daily driver and she insisted on a power top. She didn't want to have to deal with a manual top. I personally think the traditional soft top looks better and has its benefits over the RF. But in defense of the RF, it pretty much feels like a normal convertible when the top is down. You can't really see the rear portion of the top from the driver's seat when it's down.

I'm intrigued by how many of you chose the RF Miata over the regular vert. To me the regular vert top is so easy to use there's no need for a power top especially when you lose some of the open air feeling. Of course I own a Pontiac Solstice GXP so I have learned to live with sub optimal top operation for awhile.

RF was never an option for me because at 6’0” my hair grazes the roof. No way a helmet would fit.

Had both for a while too, would have kept my 30th AE MX-5 if I could have. Something about having the roof down in a car thats fun to drive, you can floor regularly and that you don't have to worry about the cost of running that's unbeatable. I fitted a custom exhaust and diffuser and inside an alcantara wheel to match the alc. Recaros. Alas no space nor budget to keep both.

Attachments

• mx5 and emira.jpg
    mx5 and emira.jpg
    673.5 KB · Views: 14
Is the RF quieter on the road?

I have been daily driving the Emira to work and the road noise is quite annoying here in Texas on concrete roads.
Wind noise, yes, the RF is quieter. However, the multi-layer ragtop on the ND is pretty dang good. Road noise is not affected as far as I'm aware.

I sold an awesome PRHT NC to get my Emira. LOVE the look of the RF but have a hard time reconciling the price tag. The Emira is an amazing car but I do miss the open air motoring of the NC sometimes. Would love to have an ND in the future at some point.