Emira vs Blackwing

I am in the opposite situation. I had deposits on both the CT5 Blackwing and Emira. The Emira came in first and I took it.

One of the reasons I took the Emira is that, while waiting, I did a test drive on the Tesla Model S and it blew me away. I went into the test drive as someone quite neutral on EVs and came out really wanting one. I haven't had a chance to drive the CT5 since Cadillac here in Dallas doesn't allow test drives (if they have one, it belongs to a customer).

So I concluded that for a raw sports car with manual transmission, I should go all the way to the Emira. For a fast comfortable sedan, I might go with the Model S to have both comfort and ultimate crazy acceleration on demand.

And having both an ICE and an EV is a bit more interesting than owning two ICEs.

I haven't bought the Model S yet, so might still change my mind.
I have had a Tesla Model S X Y. Currently, My daily is a Rivian R1T, and my Wife (god help me) has the Hummer EV 3X. All of these EVs are fast but they are all so boring that after the new wears off they are just hop-in-and-go cars there is no soul to them. When we want to go "Out" (after 35 years date just sounds stupid) She insists on taking Emira I never argue of course. I think her reasons are the same as mine. The Emira and other cars like it make you feel alive in a way EV's just don't. I will say one thing about the H3X how you can get a 9000lb SUV to be as fast as it is 3 seconds 0-60 is nuts. In the end the ev's will go because they are ever changing but the Emira will stay put once lotus is in your blood you just always need one if for nothing else than the pure pleasure of truly driving.

Great question and some excellent responses.
Exactly what a forum should be for.

My initial reaction to the OP was to think that anyone who is coming from a brutal straight line car is probably going to be disappointed with an Emira and therefore may as well steer clear.

But that reaction was wrong, as several posts have illustrated.

I’ve come from an old Ferrari (slower than the Emira) but my Ferrari ownership allowed me to drive and experience many much faster cars via the dealer and the club.

What I can say is that in my view, in the real world on public roads, the Emira really is in the sweet spot, performance-wise.

I’d also say that the manual box results in at least half a second loss in terms of the 0-60 time.

So you effectively exchange half a second of time on the stopwatch for the extra interaction that the manual box brings, but in terms of actual acceleration in gear this is a sub 4 second car every day of the week.

It feels plenty fast enough to me.

When you combine that real world performance with how fantastic it looks and handles I think it’s an absolute bargain.
The Emira is less than a third of the price of the new Ferrari I was shopping it against.

That said, if ultimately you value face-crushing acceleration above all else then the Emira is not the car for you.

As always, there’s no right or wrong, just an individual decision.

I have a CT-5 Blackwing manual and appreciate everything you said about driving it. The transmission is satisfying even if it makes me more of a professional driver than i really am. I leave the rev match on and I’m a freaking hero everywhere i go.

I also now have an Emira V6 manual. I traded a C8 Z06 to get it, so i came out of a more powerful and better appointed car to get into the Emira and it was the perfect choice. I now drive the Emira and the Blackwing back to back at times. The tranny in the Emira is a little more fussy. It’s hard to explain, but it’s very mechanical and satisfying to shift, but the throws are much longer than you’d expect. The shifter itself is also much taller/longer than the blackwing. It’s almost like an old school floor shifter in a late 80’s car in that regard. It doesn’t like to be hustled, but when you nail a shift, it feels fantastic. I’m not a great throttle blipper even though I’ve driven manuals all my life, but the small pedal box does make getting your foot on both pedals relatively easy.

The gears are not nearly as tall as the caddy, though, so you’re changing because you need to more often than in the blackwing where you change because you just kinda want to. It has very little comparative torque so you’re more apt to need to downshift or hold the gear versus the caddy.

I like the tranny in the blackwing better overall, but i like the ride, drive, steering, and total package the emira has to offer

I have a CT-5 Blackwing manual and appreciate everything you said about driving it. The transmission is satisfying even if it makes me more of a professional driver than i really am. I leave the rev match on and I’m a freaking hero everywhere i go.

I also now have an Emira V6 manual. I traded a C8 Z06 to get it, so i came out of a more powerful and better appointed car to get into the Emira and it was the perfect choice. I now drive the Emira and the Blackwing back to back at times. The tranny in the Emira is a little more fussy. It’s hard to explain, but it’s very mechanical and satisfying to shift, but the throws are much longer than you’d expect. The shifter itself is also much taller/longer than the blackwing. It’s almost like an old school floor shifter in a late 80’s car in that regard. It doesn’t like to be hustled, but when you nail a shift, it feels fantastic. I’m not a great throttle blipper even though I’ve driven manuals all my life, but the small pedal box does make getting your foot on both pedals relatively easy.

The gears are not nearly as tall as the caddy, though, so you’re changing because you need to more often than in the blackwing where you change because you just kinda want to. It has very little comparative torque so you’re more apt to need to downshift or hold the gear versus the caddy.

I like the tranny in the blackwing better overall, but i like the ride, drive, steering, and total package the emira has to offer
I am inspired to replicate your garage now!

Wow, trading a Z06 for the Emira. I am fortunate to have a manual BW, C8Z06, and forthcoming Emira. I love the FPC and can't imagine getting rid of it anytime soon, it's my main track car. The BW is amazing in a different way but I LOVE the trans, super smooth, rev match .... lovely. The sound of the 5BW when blitzing down the straightaway or in canyons sound just as amazing as FPC but differently. I got access to a private reveal of the new 5BW earlier this year and do like the new interior/screen.

Trying to decide between the two would require alot of questions to help narrow down requirements as it is a tough decision. I guess if I had to choose without knowing more, if you don't need the room in BW, then get the Emira. They are going to keep making the BW longer than originally planned so you will be able to get one but we just don't know about the Emira. Good luck on your difficult choice :)

Thanks everyone for your comments, they are helping me shape my plan going forward.

Surprised yet not surprised that there are so many owners of both the 6MT Blackwing and the Emira, as the pairing makes for a perfect garage. Just need a classic in there hehe.

Today I get to test drive the manual Emira and can hopefully draw a few more conclusions about the gearbox, which seems to be a sticking point. So far I am thinking to keep my BW and save up to add the Emira later, new or used, but we'll see. If I absolutely have to choose I will probably hang on to the BW for at least another year.

I don't really need the space of the BW but I recognize that its manual is top-notch (heh) and the Emira's may feel like a step dpwn in that regard. Also don't really mind a car that is a little slower but feels fast (by way of more sound, less insulation, etc.)

So test drove the Emira in a manual today aaaand...I love it! I imagined some clunky terrible shift action but it was quite good, even if not exactly on par with the best. I actually enjoyed the notchiness quite a bit. Given how easy the shift action is, a short shifter may be in order. The pedal box is narrow but that wasn't an issue after the first 2 minutes of driving. I drove my BW to the dealer so got to drive the two cars back to back and I'm happy with how different they are.

Power level is perfectly adequate. Sound needs work but I'm sure some simple mods will take care of that.

I placed my deposit but given how long the wait will be I will hold on to my BW for now, in the hopes that when the Emira arrives I can find a way to keep both.

I really appreciate everyone's thoughtful responses, and hope to see you back here in a couple of years.

So test drove the Emira in a manual today aaaand...I love it! I imagined some clunky terrible shift action but it was quite good, even if not exactly on par with the best. I actually enjoyed the notchiness quite a bit. Given how easy the shift action is, a short shifter may be in order. The pedal box is narrow but that wasn't an issue after the first 2 minutes of driving. I drove my BW to the dealer so got to drive the two cars back to back and I'm happy with how different they are.

Power level is perfectly adequate. Sound needs work but I'm sure some simple mods will take care of that.

I placed my deposit but given how long the wait will be I will hold on to my BW for now, in the hopes that when the Emira arrives I can find a way to keep both.

I really appreciate everyone's thoughtful responses, and hope to see you back here in a couple of years.
Glad you did the test drive. FWIW I enjoyed my test drive as well, however once you get to spend more time with the Emira, it just keeps getting better! I suspect it's like that with most performance-type vehicles: given more time to explore and get used to and discover new things about the vehicle and its personality. I'm not sure if you drove the test vehicle in tour mode only. When you switch to sport/track, there's a noticeably different exhaust note that's deeper/louder with more "shifting burbles" so once you get your Emira, get used to that before deciding on the exhaust upgrade. Looking forward to you joining the "Lotus Emira family" in (hopefully) far less than 2 years.

Sweet - hope you can keep both! There are some “orphaned” cars on the market if you don’t want to wait, but sounds like your ok waiting for the exact spec you want.

Also, delivery times are quite a bit better from the horror stories you’ve likely heard. My first “hold allocation” deposit was Nov, my build sheet and order was placed at the end of Jan, and car arrived in July. So, call it 6 months from when the order was placed - not too bad.

My guess is this will only get faster as the rest of the world sales taper off.

Good luck - hope it works out for you!