• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Eventuri development

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Thinking back to my Subaru days, I had a pretty sweet K&N short ram intake that was around $350. It performed well, saved weight, was wrinkle red to match the STI intake manifold, had heat sheilds, AND a carbon fiber end cap on the exposed filter. Lotus owners are just charged exotic car tax for most aftermarket parts (and the gains usually aren't as good as these other mass produced tuner cars).

spt.jpg

SirSoysauce

Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
My opinion.

The Jubu upgrades and venturi CAI are all extremely overpriced. You can try justifying dollars per HP comparisons but its a joke. Lotus owners are getting taken advantage of. Probably because it's more of a niche vehicle with owners that probably have deeper pockets. Some people will pay any amount for 30 to 50 HP gain.

Why was my HP so cheap in comparison?
I Had a 2010 Jeep SRT8 6.1 Hemi (420HP) vehicle before. I got a Mopar CAI for about $300 Canadian $ and a programmer from Diablo Trinity with canned tunes. I got a custom tune done for a "donation" to a forum member who worked for Diablo $200 with several data logging and uploads and tweaks included till max gains were safely achieved. I also had a Borla exhaust for around $1500. Billet Oil catch can installed as well. $250.
I went from 4.9s+ 0 to 60 to 4.0s 0 to 60.
So preformance related mods came out to $2000 Canadian.
Apparently 30 to 50 HP gain. Not Dyno proven. But my 0 to 60 improved 0.9s

To get similar results with Lotus multiply it by what? 5X or more!

Anyways my opinion. Hope no one's feelings get hurt. To each their own. Spend your money the way you want. None of my business. I'll wait for some more competitors with cheaper alternatives. But I'm most likey won't bother.. I'm happy with the Emira the way she is.

I spent a lot tuning my Audi and frankly, the Emira tuning pricing still does make my head hurt before I even have the car. I wasn't certain though if this is attested to the fact that I'm not used to the higher pricing bracket for higher end cars scenario. Still I'm with you, I plan to keep the Emira stock till warranty is out, then maybe I'll dabble.

FlyNavy01

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm always confused when people have no problem dropping ~$100k+ on a sports car but complain about the value of a few hundred bucks more for a lighter battery or the best intake. I wouldn't buy a mansion to fill it with Ikea furniture. Let's be honest, no one here bought an Emira made the financially optimal choice, so why complain about something relatively cheap in comparison? Very strange. If we were all purely logical with money we'd put that $100k in an index fund and have an extra $750k+ by the time we retire (at least for me, 30+ years from retirement).

Having said that, Eventuri is no doubt extremely expensive, but their CFD engineered design does seem to live up to their marketing claims by most third party testers (see example below). Their pricing is similar on the GR Yaris and other less expensive vehicles, so it's not an "exotic car tax". Could similar performance be had by omitting the silly carbon and just using molded plastic for a fraction of the price? Undoubtedly yes, but again, no one who buys an expensive toy sports car is making rational financial decisions, so I find this to be a weird hill for people to choose to die on. I'm personally on the fence, but if I order one it will likely be after I have a good amount of time behind the wheel to determine if it's worthwhile (I expect not). Still happy to have any type of aftermarket support, overpriced or not!

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yes they could have made it out of cheap plastic, but people like to dress up their engine bays and carbon fiber is one of those looks people like. It does look really nice, which helps for those who want that. The other thing is how many units do they anticipate they'd be able to sell? The production numbers for the Emira compared to C8's, BMW's, Audi's, etc. is pitifully small by comparison. There's only going to be so many possible sales for them. I'm sure they estimated a percentage, decided it was worth investing the time and resources to make this, and priced it accordingly.

I was expecting about a $1,000. It's 50% more than that, but I can understand why. It's going to be a small volume product for them and it costs money to be in, and stay in business.

John777

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Well I'm not confused just a critical thinker. Some people could write an Ann Landers/ Dear Abby dramatic guest column here.

Anyways in 2010 they only made 1,890 SRT8 models out of the 150k Jeep Grand Cherokees that were made.
So my point was they made a Mopar cai for $300 for a possible 1890 vehicles of which only a small percentage probably upgraded. Let's be extremely optimistic and say half went back to dealership and bought the mopar aftermarket cai and upgraded.. that's about 900 units. They didn't charge $1600 usd for each! Only $300 Canadian. Point is they must of made a profit. This cai wasn't carbon fiber but last I checked carbon fiber doesn't add any more horsepower.
I believe the Lotus aftermarket is just a huge money grab.. No way it should cost $1600 usd. Same with the ECU module ..looking at about 10k Canadian to start. Back in 2010 an ECU upgrade was $2k. I didn't want anything permanent while under warranty. So I went with a programmer that worked with several hundred different car models. Price was like $600 with a few canned tunes or custom tune with several revisits for $200 donation. Some gave as little as $50. Same HP as ECU but much cheaper.
Or the 4k usd to 10k usd exhaust system. Another money grab.. Borla was $1500. Point is why pay $15k plus for say 30HP when it should only cost much less. I got 30 to 50Hp gains for like $2500.

I recently retired 2 years ago at 48 years old. This Lotus was on my short list of a retirement present.
I'm not poor or rich just middle class. Why would I throw away $10k more for nothing?I'm happy with the Emira the way it is or wait till more competition comes out with more affordable options.
I'm not much of a fan of this Fad of carbon fiber everything. Doesn't appeal to me. Sure save some weight but at huge cost.
Some are still young and naive in their thinking.
Quality only goes so far. Mopar intake makes 20HP extra lets say and Eventuri makes 20HP for arguments sake. I found the mopar intake to be good quality. If it delivers same results. Why go Eventuri if they even offered one.
Some like to say in comparison to the 100k car its relatively cheap..lol. well if it cost only $300 then it would be called dirt cheap I guess. Weird thinking.
Back in 2010 that jeep cost me $65k CAD with 5k green levy and 1k gas guzzler tax. Not cheap back then. Probably close to my yearly salary back then. Today the Emira is $129k plus luxury tax and sales tax etc. I don't mind dropping money
.just don't like it when suppliers take advantage because there aren't many other options. I do believe it to be a exotic car tax. I think the Emira is a bargain in comparison to other vehicles for sale today. I've seen pickup trucks 100k to 160k... Jeep wagoneer 110k to 160k. Even some Rubicon models 100k plus because of the Hemi. Jeep gladiator Rubicon was listed 248k lol nuts i think that's MSRP max should be around 130k.
I could go for broke buy a ferrari or Lamborghini 300k but thats outta my league. My income doesn't justify that kind of financially dumb purchase. I've set myself up nicely with several income properties and great investments over the years. But I worked hard for my money and won't just throw it away on nonsense or greedy aftermarket suppliers. The North American aftermarket was reasonable and affordable. The European aftermarket is a money grab..mostly.. people can try and write an Ann Landers column to justify it.
Edit....
Oh BTW I'm talking about things that are comparable in quality but a huge difference in price. IKEA furniture is not good quality. I wouldn't fill my McMansion with it. If I get a Good quality cai with similar HP results for $300 I'm not paying $1600usd for a carbon fiber money grab with same results.

Last edited:

hellasf1

Reaction score
You can’t compare Lotus to many others bc it’s a niche for sure. Shit most people don’t even know what a Lotus is…per people asking me at different areas when they see the car...”What kind of car is that?” It’s a Lotus EMIRA… “What’s a Lotus” lol

We are all a little crazy to be here bc there are other more sound decisions of cars we all could have purchased and some even cheaper lol. Better dealer networks, better warranties, better aftermarket part support and cheaper, tunes with more power gains, more reliability (debatable) the list goes on and on. Example…We all could have chosen a C8, dealerships anywhere you can image, huge aftermarket parts support, cheaper & higher HP/TQ gains from tuners. Again the list goes on.

Everyone is here for 1 reason or another. We all took the risk but everyone should have done their research prior for aftermarket support if that’s what you plan on doing. Again everyone has their preferences, and you know if you’re the guy or girl that will leave your car stock or not going into it a car purchase. I know I’m a guy that will modify, I knew that after I test drove the EMIRA. I’m not ripping it to make it a race car but slight modes that I would like, more power less weight to name a few.

I’m only here bc my manual 718 GT4 allocation wasn’t fulfilled after Porsche discontinued it. I’m so glad they did bc I absolutely love the EMIRA!

That said JUBU & Eventuri are some of the few that have taken their resources, testing and money to make products for our cars. Keep in mind, cars that are not bought in high volumes either. If more companies made parts and tunes for our cars these prices would go down for sure. But most won’t bc the ROI on Lotus for them wouldn’t be there.

I haven’t seen anyone complain on EMIRA exhaust prices bc prices aren’t that bad, but that’s also bc more companies make them and we have options. Again supply and demand is simple.

I’ve had plenty of American muscle cars and super easy and cheap to modify, from hellcats to GT350 but not nearly as special as this EMIRA in my opinion. My Giulia QV was cheaper, BMW M cars are cheaper to modify. I have a 6.2L TRX and I can tune it for $1,800 and get to 900 HP.

We are at the disposal of who has build parts of our cars which is not many and it probably won’t change and yes they are over priced, but so is the EMIRA lets be honest. You have to pay to play and we all choose a car that is harder to modify than really anything else you can choose.

But it’s in a rare class, mid engine manual with a SC V6 when everything is going electric. It has a special feeling and characteristics and so many pros to the driving experience. It’s an emotional experience and we all made an emotional decision to by one not a sound one. But that’s what life is about and why we all enjoy this sport. It’s our hearts that gives us pulse to live life and enjoy these machines!

Now go enjoy your cars and we can maybe get JUBU for a group discount 😂

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Tooling costs for large plastic parts can be very expensive. That’s no issue once the quantity is large, but isn’t feasible for small quantity production.

Carbon fibre on the other hand doesn’t require such expensive tooling, but costs much more per piece. As consumers in this market appreciate carbon fibre, it makes sense to charge a higher price for a higher quality product that also happens to require less up front costs to put into small quantity production.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well I'm not confused just a critical thinker. Some people could write an Ann Landers/ Dear Abby dramatic guest column here.

Anyways in 2010 they only made 1,890 SRT8 models out of the 150k Jeep Grand Cherokees that were made.
So my point was they made a Mopar cai for $300 for a possible 1890 vehicles of which only a small percentage probably upgraded. Let's be extremely optimistic and say half went back to dealership and bought the mopar aftermarket cai and upgraded.. that's about 900 units. They didn't charge $1600 usd for each! Only $300 Canadian. Point is they must of made a profit. This cai wasn't carbon fiber but last I checked carbon fiber doesn't add any more horsepower.
I believe the Lotus aftermarket is just a huge money grab.. No way it should cost $1600 usd. Same with the ECU module ..looking at about 10k Canadian to start. Back in 2010 an ECU upgrade was $2k. I didn't want anything permanent while under warranty. So I went with a programmer that worked with several hundred different car models. Price was like $600 with a few canned tunes or custom tune with several revisits for $200 donation. Some gave as little as $50. Same HP as ECU but much cheaper.
Or the 4k usd to 10k usd exhaust system. Another money grab.. Borla was $1500. Point is why pay $15k plus for say 30HP when it should only cost much less. I got 30 to 50Hp gains for like $2500.

I recently retired 2 years ago at 48 years old. This Lotus was on my short list of a retirement present.
I'm not poor or rich just middle class. Why would I throw away $10k more for nothing?I'm happy with the Emira the way it is or wait till more competition comes out with more affordable options.
I'm not much of a fan of this Fad of carbon fiber everything. Doesn't appeal to me. Sure save some weight but at huge cost.
Some are still young and naive in their thinking.
Quality only goes so far. Mopar intake makes 20HP extra lets say and Eventuri makes 20HP for arguments sake. I found the mopar intake to be good quality. If it delivers same results. Why go Eventuri if they even offered one.
Some like to say in comparison to the 100k car its relatively cheap..lol. well if it cost only $300 then it would be called dirt cheap I guess. Weird thinking.
Back in 2010 that jeep cost me $65k CAD with 5k green levy and 1k gas guzzler tax. Not cheap back then. Probably close to my yearly salary back then. Today the Emira is $129k plus luxury tax and sales tax etc. I don't mind dropping money
.just don't like it when suppliers take advantage because there aren't many other options. I do believe it to be a exotic car tax. I think the Emira is a bargain in comparison to other vehicles for sale today. I've seen pickup trucks 100k to 160k... Jeep wagoneer 110k to 160k. Even some Rubicon models 100k plus because of the Hemi. Jeep gladiator Rubicon was listed 248k lol nuts i think that's MSRP max should be around 130k.
I could go for broke buy a ferrari or Lamborghini 300k but thats outta my league. My income doesn't justify that kind of financially dumb purchase. I've set myself up nicely with several income properties and great investments over the years. But I worked hard for my money and won't just throw it away on nonsense or greedy aftermarket suppliers. The North American aftermarket was reasonable and affordable. The European aftermarket is a money grab..mostly.. people can try and write an Ann Landers column to justify it.
Edit....
Oh BTW I'm talking about things that are comparable in quality but a huge difference in price. IKEA furniture is not good quality. I wouldn't fill my McMansion with it. If I get a Good quality cai with similar HP results for $300 I'm not paying $1600usd for a carbon fiber money grab with same results.
Yeah some can. Welcome to the Ann Landers club! lol

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
How many of you guys poo-pooing the price of the Eventuri are paying through the nose for PPF on your car? Talk about a money grab. Price is always relative to what you want and are willing to pay for it. Comparing pricing today to what it was many years ago is old guy territory. Everything was cheaper many years ago, and the buying power of the dollar was greater years ago. Now back to the present.

Nobody has to buy it. If you don't think it's worth the asking price, don't buy it. If somebody else does think it's worth it, and buys it, just because you think they're a fool for buying it doesn't mean they are. People have different levels of income and financial resources. What's too expensive to you may be nothing to someone else. So what. Enjoy your car and let others enjoy theirs.

motorpool

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If these aftermarket add ons were so great why wouldn’t we see high end manufacturers that are not price sensitive use something similar? Because for the most part any time an independent tester validates an aftermarket parts makers claims, they don’t work as advertised.

So all the pictures and airflow diagrams are neat to look at but don’t translate to actual results. Also air doesn’t care about channeling material. This could be made from molded abs plastic and perform identically to the overpriced carbon fiber

Until I see independent dyno comparison tests performed I’m going to continue to view aftermarket items like this with healthy skepticism
The engineering is pretty solid with Eventuri when you look at alot of the work they've done on other vehicles. You are correct that air doesn't care about the material but they develop in CF that appeals to alot of people. Now, AFE has built their CAI with different levels so you could spend top dollar on CF or significantly less on a 'plastic' housing. Unfortunately they don't develop for Lotus as I would prefer a better engineered solution without CF since I can't see it anyway :)

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
One of the reasons why high end automobile manufacturers don't use the Eventuri system could be simply due to patent protection for Eventuri. There might also be a fair amount of designer ego involved with those high end studios wanting to do their 'own thing' in that regard, rather than license Eventuri's.

We're seeing the end result after Eventuri has done all the engineering, testing, design and fabrication. If a high-end manufacturer wanted an Eventuri design for one of their newly designed vehicles, they'd have to carry the expense of all that development by the Eventuri team just to have it as an exclusive OEM product.