• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

FE Deposit done but want to test drive before the final commitment...

This has been running around in my mind after test driving a GT410 Sport today. The objective was to confirm suspension choice. To get that out of the way first, for me and my guess is most committed petrol heads Sport is the way to go. It's firm but in no way crashy or too much. I'd driven there in a GR Yaris and they are spookily similar. I'd expected the Evora to be much harder but it wasn't. Maybe a touch but it was almost indistinguishable. I am now 100% staying with Sport (though the Emira won't be a daily, it'll be for having fun!)

View attachment 1268

Back to the GT sports car conundrum. Driving the Evora made me realise in buying an Emira I am buying my first big car. I think in part because of the tan interior but my first thought was 'this is a luxury GT car' (though definitely a sports car.) When I got back to the showroom I sat in an Exige and thought 'this is what I want, it's a proper hardcore Lotus'.

On the drive home I almost convinced myself too. In the end as has been said before, it's really what you want the Emira for. I'd love to have the racecar excitement of the Exige but on the road I think it would be just a bit too intense. Or maybe I'm just getting old!

Nb. this was the first time I've driven any car with flappy paddles. I really don't get it on the road. Once I'd done it a few times I found it a bit boring. On track I can see it, for shaving down lap times but for engagement and driving enjoyment it's manual all the way for me.
That’s the Evora i tested and what a machine. Bit too hardcore for what I have in mind as a daily driver, long journeys as well as an occasional track day. I liked the IPS box and whilst a manual is very tempting modern traffic and long journeys put me off although it’s a close run thing !

Interesting (and you were just down the road from me!).

The Elise/Exige and Evora/Emira are brilliant cars but different primary purposes.

If you can only have one, then you can accept the compromises and daily drive an Exige or use an Evora as a track car. You’ll love them for their strengths and still enjoy them in other situations.

Not trying to put you off but I think the Emira is going to be far from raw, compared to focused track metal. At least until the stripped out models, if/when they arrive. They're making a point of describing it as 'asking nothing of you' compared to Elise, Exige and even Evora. It's like a modern day Esprit really.

I've booked a test drive in a GT410 Sport shortly to help confirm the Sport or Touring choice. I may know more then (haven't been in a Lotus since an S1 in 2006!)
Fantastic feedback, especially the comparison with GR Yaris (Circuit Pack?). I too will most likely stick with sports suspension.

I think what we are likely to notice most will be the extra weight - in my case:
Exige S RGB 935Kg
GR Yaris CP 1,280kg
Emira V6 Manual 1,458Kg (as confirmed by Lotus today)

Either way good to hear that Emira's sports suspension is comparable to the GR Yaris' in terms of ride quality, especially on UK's B-roads. Further, if Emira's ground clearance is similar to the RGB's (130mm) then that will be perfect.

Last edited:
Fantastic feedback, especially the comparison with GR Yaris (Circuit Pack?). I too will most likely stick with sports suspension.

I think what we are likely to notice most will be the extra weight - in my case:
Exige S RGB 935Kg
GR Yaris CP 1,280kg
Emira V6 Manual 1,458Kg (as confirmed by Lotus today)

Either way good to hear that Emira's sports suspension is comparable to the GR Yaris' in terms of ride quality, especially on UK's B-roads. Further, if Emira's ground clearance is similar to the RGB's (130mm) then that will be perfect.
Yes the GR is circuit pack. One thing I didn’t mention is the power comparison. I felt the Evora was like a whoosh whereas the Yaris is like an an angry terrier. Not a complaint, just different. I’m not used to RWD or bigger engines (have a fast road 1380 classic mini and 1293 frogeye sprite), so it’s quite an adjustment to be in almost super car territory. Seems very ‘grown up’!

I’m toying with the idea of something like this until Emira delivery:

Here’s an ultra short video of the Evora, Doesn’t really show much but it’s a pretty car from these angles I think.

Yes the GR is circuit pack. One thing I didn’t mention is the power comparison. I felt the Evora was like a whoosh whereas the Yaris is like an an angry terrier. Not a complaint, just different. I’m not used to RWD or bigger engines (have a fast road 1380 classic mini and 1293 frogeye sprite), so it’s quite an adjustment to be in almost super car territory. Seems very ‘grown up’!

Here’s an ultra short video of the Evora, Doesn’t really show much but it’s a pretty car from these angles I think.

I had a frog eye sprite in green many years ago, interesting car which grabbed a lot of attention. Mine was unmodded though and you preyed every time you had to brake.

I had a frog eye sprite in green many years ago, interesting car which grabbed a lot of attention. Mine was unmodded though and you preyed every time you had to brake.
Does feel a bit like taking your life in your hands (even with disc brakes) but a lot of fun.

Attachments

• 2AC51780-FD1B-435A-8856-4397E3D93861.jpeg
    2AC51780-FD1B-435A-8856-4397E3D93861.jpeg
    529.6 KB · Views: 48

Here’s an ultra short video of the Evora, Doesn’t really show much but it’s a prettys car from these angles I think.

Thanks for posting up the video.

Fully agree with you re the GRY, especially in Sport or Track mode. As I prefer RWD, I use Sport mode a majority of times (with EXPERT on unless the roads are very wet or greasy). Know what you mean when you compare the GRY to an 'angry terrier'. I haven't driven one yet, but have been a passenger in an Evora 400, which wasn't bad at all, and it was way more civilised than my RGB,

If you get to drive a Series 2 Exige (as you indicate above), then I am sure that will feel like a 'bucking bronco' in comparison, but a heck of a lot of fun. If you are going for a Series 2 Exige, I would advise you to check out one with the supercharged 260hp engine - as the final variant of the Series 2, the RGB has this, along with some other choice upgrades such as Ohlin dampers and a Torsen LSD, all of which coupled with its 935kg weight. makes it a very satisfying car to drive and sufficiently rapid. The main thing for me is its diminutive stature a.nd its low weight. In fact, the power-to-weight ratio of the RGB and Emira are very close if not identical (~274 bhp/ton).

Love a Chrome Orange Series 2 Exige, and if this colour was available on the Emira then that would be my first choice.

Last edited:
I really need a test drive, I am beginning to waiver. My problem is that I like to drive a car that is raw and I fear that the Emira isn’t going to do it for me.

In the past (a long time ago!), I had a Westfield SE as my fun car, I sold it when I got married and replaced it with a Fiat Coupe Turbo that was supposed to be highly rated as a drivers car. To me it felt fairly dull in comparison.

More recently I had a Lotus XI replica that was an absolute blast to drive both on and off the track, I sold this and replaced it with an Ultima GTR, again I regretted it almost immediately as the Ultima was blindingly quick, but it’s limits were far too far away to enjoy on the road, especially after the XI that would dance round at sensible speeds.

My current toy is a Caterham 360R, that is a great mix of speed and playfulness and I fear that after this the Emira would be a bit of a disappointment.
I dont think Emira will satisfy your need for a raw driving experience. From my experience I think Lotus are looking at a more mainstream buyer (Cayman/M2) as their target for the Emira.

I dont think Emira will satisfy your need for a raw driving experience. From my experience I think Lotus are looking at a more mainstream buyer (Cayman/M2) as their target for the Emira.
It’s just hard for me, please remember I’m new to all of this, but stay with me. It’s just hard for me to see Lotus “going after” or “trying to take market share” with this particular vehicle at this stage.

I think it’ll still be special as the last ICE and in limited quantity. BUT a tiny prediction is to use this (as we see the EV Type 132 marketed simultaneously) to get more Lotus fans across the globe for the next thing.

Does that make sense? All this waiting is making me overthink this stuff! :)

It’s just hard for me, please remember I’m new to all of this, but stay with me. It’s just hard for me to see Lotus “going after” or “trying to take market share” with this particular vehicle at this stage.

I think it’ll still be special as the last ICE and in limited quantity. BUT a tiny prediction is to use this (as we see the EV Type 132 marketed simultaneously) to get more Lotus fans across the globe for the next thing.

Does that make sense? All this waiting is making me overthink this stuff! :)
I agree with you, I think this is the first step for New Lotus, expensive but could be profitable on it's own given the number of possible Emira´s orders, to be able to scale with type 132 competing with Porsche Taycan and similars.
Something on the line of how Porsche came back to live in numbers thanks to the Cayenne.
Long way to go, since they need to catch uo not only with the product itself, but with all the distribution, worldwide increase of dealers, not necessary for the Emira, but definitely for all the future mass scale oriented products.
Big challenge, but IMHO, they are on the right path.

Part of the step change from old Lotus is the much faster pace of new model launches. The Emira was the first new Lotus after the Evora, which was launched in 2009 (if you exclude all the incremental Elise/Exige versions).

But now the product plan is for one new model every year. As we've seen, Type 132 is being announced before Emira deliveries start. Type 133 will be announced next year before Type 132 deliveries start. Exciting times.

Last edited:
Apologies to bring this post back up,but....

We are almost in March and I was wondering if we are any closer to understanding if we will see any test cars available for a drive before us early depositors receive the cars in June?

As I've said before,it's going to take a lot to deter me ,but if I don't get a chance to drive before fully committing and it ends up being a pig to drive, I'd feel abit foolish paying full whack for a car that I hadn't test drove beforehand....

Am I being cynical or is this just the gamble we are expected to take?

Not sure how this is done with other car manufacturers on new car releases.

As far as I know we can get out of our contracts until 30 days before delivery because of the fact that we have to commit before knowing everything we might want to know about the car. What we will definitely get before we have to pay anything are the press reviews. If they are good, there is no risk anymore in buying the Emira, I guess. If you don't like it personally, you can just sell it right away for a premium.

Last edited:
We'll have the press reviews in March. I'm hearing mixed messages about UK dealer demo cars - some dealers saying unofficially April/May and factory saying (back in late Jan) they would be in June just before first customer cars.

My hunch is it's still tied in with type approval and if they can get them to dealers sooner then they will.

We'll have the press reviews in March. I'm hearing mixed messages about UK dealer demo cars - some dealers saying unofficially April/May and factory saying (back in late Jan) they would be in June just before first customer cars.

My hunch is it's still tied in with type approval and if they can get them to dealers sooner then they will.
I wonder why deliveries aren’t until June if cars are built from 7th March?

I wonder why deliveries aren’t until June if cars are built from 7th March?
Because they won't get type approval in March so are building a batch for stock and will then release them in June. The first cars to be built will be the press and dealer cars.

Because they won't get type approval in March so are building a batch for stock and will then release them in June. The first cars to be built will be the press and dealer cars.
And there is the answer 🤣

Forgive my ignorance / stupidity,but what is type approval?

That the car has passed all the necessary requirements to be sold and driven on the road - covers things like crash tests, safety systems, fuel economy figures and emissions.

Approval is required in each country, although it's possible to test many things once and apply with one set of results in each country. The processes are slightly different and take varying amounts of time, which is one factor in why first deliveries are different in each country.

Any idea of when we might get a firm delivery date? I'm going to be abroad for most of July so I'm hoping I might get a bit of time with the car before I go. First world problem admittedly :)