First Oil Change Service???

Not to distract from the above argument, any opinions on changing the oil as soon as I get it just to get better oil in there?

Not to distract from the above argument, any opinions on changing the oil as soon as I get it just to get better oil in there?

I don’t think there’s any benefit at all to using a different oil unless we’re talking about a shorter more controlled break-in oil. If you’re driving it on the street to break it in, just replace with a high quality oil at 1,000 mi. Oil analysis like linked earlier in this thread will show you the amount of metal contaminants falling with each oil change after that.

Ah yes, the old "If people are on the internet they must be ignorant rubes" game. This ain't Facebook, friend.

Look, do what you want to do. Nobody is giving you instructions. If you want to go 10k miles between oil changes, and keep the full 10k interval for the first change on a low viscosity oil that's already full of metals at 800 miles, you go right ahead. 👏
Everybody on the internet has an opinion. Some always have to be right as illustrated in your last comment. If Lotus is saying that I don't have to do it then I'm not going to.
If you want peace of mind, have at 'er. Doesn't make you right, it's just your opinion.

kopfgegenwandknall.gif

Everybody on the internet has an opinion. Some always have to be right as illustrated in your last comment. If Lotus is saying that I don't have to do it then I'm not going to.
If you want peace of mind, have at 'er. Doesn't make you right, it's just your opinion.
I didn't say I was right. I said you were free to do whatever you want. It's a free country, you do you.

It will allow you to know for sure what is in the engine, and will allow you a clear control / reference point. Plus, I don't think it's going to void the warranty 🤪 But, it will also take away an hour or so of driving the car. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the oil change until 1,609.3 km (1,000 miles).

It will allow you to know for sure what is in the engine, and will allow you a clear control / reference point. Plus, I don't think it's going to void the warranty 🤪 But, it will also take away an hour or so of driving the car. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the oil change until 1,609.3 km (1,000 miles).
The car is going to be up on a lift for two days having the sills swapped. The oil change is negligibly additive.

The car is going to be up on a lift for two days having the sills swapped. The oil change is negligibly additive.
I think the key here is that it just doesn't matter that much about doing it immediately. There's nothing wrong with the oil that went in originally, it's probably the specified Total 0W40 from the factory service manual, which is good oil.

The objective in doing an oil change within (or at) the first 1,000 miles is to get the initial break-in metals from the bearings out of the oil before it can cause any accelerated wear to other engine components. It also refreshes the ZDDP additives which are being consumed at an accelerated rate during initial break-in. But in both cases you have to give it time to actually do this process, before an oil change has any benefit.

I think the key here is that it just doesn't matter that much about doing it immediately. There's nothing wrong with the oil that went in originally, it's probably the specified Total 0W40 from the factory service manual, which is good oil.

The objective in doing an oil change within (or at) the first 1,000 miles is to get the initial break-in metals from the bearings out of the oil before it can cause any accelerated wear to other engine components. It also refreshes the ZDDP additives which are being consumed at an accelerated rate during initial break-in. But in both cases you have to give it time to actually do this process, before an oil change has any benefit.
Curious as to why you think there will be metal fragments in the oil, isn't it the job of the filter to remove those, and thus the oil supplied through the pump shouldn't have any metal fragments in it. Or are you saying that the filter doesn't take out all of the metal fragments?

I'll be changing mine early - probably at close to 1k miles - but I will still question my own decision.

How many Camry V6 owners do you think change their oil at the 1k mark? I'm guessing a number close to zero, and yet I imagine many of those cars have 200k+ miles with less than perfect oil change intervals.

Oh well, just part of being a neurotic car owner, I guess. :LOL:

I'll be changing mine early - probably at close to 1k miles - but I will still question my own decision.

How many Camry V6 owners do you think change their oil at the 1k mark? I'm guessing a number close to zero, and yet I imagine many of those cars have 200k+ miles with less than perfect oil change intervals.

Oh well, just part of being a neurotic car owner, I guess. :LOL:

I'd rather be safe than sorry because not all Camry engines make it to 200K mi, and when it doesn't-- it probably doesn't take 30-40 hours in labor to remove and replace the engine from the vehicle.

They're also not likely to be run as hard as a Lotus nor do they have a supercharger -- but that's more about oil change intervals than breaking in. You sure as hell won't find me using an extended oil change interval on this car.

Curious as to why you think there will be metal fragments in the oil, isn't it the job of the filter to remove those, and thus the oil supplied through the pump shouldn't have any metal fragments in it. Or are you saying that the filter doesn't take out all of the metal fragments?

Check out your first oil change glitter and tell me the filter is catching everything. You want to run that for 10,000 km?

Check out your first oil change glitter and tell me the filter is catching everything. You want to run that for 10,000 km?
awwww... face!

4c07091656baa8c77aabbb4f5632ad28.jpg

It's not something I "think", it's a fact, and it showed up on the initial lab analysis on the oil I took out at 800 miles.

This happens on all new engines, mostly as a byproduct of the bearings wearing in. Much of the suspended metal is genuinely microscopic at a scale that bypasses the filtration medium.

I'll edit this post and add a copy of my oil analysis report in a short while.

Here's mine. First oil change at 636 miles, second one at 1122 (aiming for 500, 1000,3000 then every 3000) You can see wear metals were higher in the first sample and still present but reduced in the second sample.

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 7.06.48 PM.png

Did mine myself at 700 miles and will again at 3-5k, then every 5k after that. I'm somewhat OCD and avoid the dealer or anyone else working on my cars as much as possible. Plus it can be satisfying, cheaper, and more convenient to not have to make an appointment and drive to the dealer.
Just passed 1k. What filter did you use? Source too please. Thanks!

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back