• The August 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 August 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

How to enable the FOB to roll both windows down with unlock?

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Manual says its possible. I hold the unlock and it just unlocks, no windows go down. I also could not find any settings inside the car where I can change anything with the FOB. Anyone know the trick?

Last edited:
On mine if I press and hold the button it unlocks and both windows go down. I don't think I ever altered any setting. Same in reverse - hold and doors lock and windows go up.

I think they turned it off for us Yanks! They are afraid we'll hurt ourselves. I wonder if the dealers know how to code this back on.

On mine if I press and hold the button it unlocks and both windows go down. I don't think I ever altered any setting. Same in reverse - hold and doors lock and windows go up.
I think they turned it off for us Yanks! They are afraid we'll hurt ourselves. I wonder if the dealers know how to code this back on.

Must have! I uploaded a video.

I can confirm that holding down the unlock button on my key fob does NOT roll the windows down on my Canadian Emira, despite the manual saying that it does. And that's puzzling to me, because our North American owners manuals seem like they're tailored to our market, and (correctly) don't contain any mention of features that are not available to us (e.g.: the glove box passenger airbag override switch that's available in the UK).

Has anyone on here learned any more about the cause of this problem, or found a workaround / fix? Would really love to have this feature working!

I can confirm that holding down the unlock button on my key fob does NOT roll the windows down on my Canadian Emira, despite the manual saying that it does. And that's puzzling to me, because our North American owners manuals seem like they're tailored to our market, and (correctly) don't contain any mention of features that are not available to us (e.g.: the glove box passenger airbag override switch that's available in the UK).

Has anyone on here learned any more about the cause of this problem, or found a workaround / fix? Would really love to have this feature working!
We need to see if we can get a dealer service department to code it back in. Or better yet, find someone willing to develop a software coding software for the Emira. I've contacted some of the coding firms, but they have not shown any interest yet.

We need to see if we can get a dealer service department to code it back in. Or better yet, find someone willing to develop a software coding software for the Emira. I've contacted some of the coding firms, but they have not shown any interest yet.
I had this issue before with my 1996 Pontiac Trans Am Ram Air WS6 package.. I went to the GM dealer and they turned the feature on with their tool. USA cars had it and my Canadian car just needed to be turned on at dealer. No charge either.

It would be super usefull to have. Especially on hot days.

It’s more than likely to do with “No Anti-trap” sensors installed to the window rubbers, and also the torque the motor produces prior to the windows “bouncing” back down should a person have a limb in the window once given the command to put the windows Up remotely.

The window motors may not harm an adult limb, but may a child - therefore in a country that files a lawsuit on anything that moves, this function has more than likely been disabled.

I read that most vehicles state you need to push unlock twice and then on the third one, press and hold it until it rolls down. Usually 10 seconds

It requires a software change for U.S. vehicles. A Lotus service center should be able to make the change, 1. if they know how, and 2. if they are willing to do it.
3. if Lotus was sane enough to build toggleable features into the software

Seeing how they handled software so far it wouldn't surprise me if they hack together different software versions with all kind of hardcoded variables :LOL:

3. if Lotus was sane enough to build toggleable features into the software

Seeing how they handled software so far it wouldn't surprise me if they hack together different software versions with all kind of hardcoded variables :LOL:
I suspect they are using some Geely software (or whomever Geely’s supplier is) for the main software for all of the controls and then Toyota’s software for the mechanicals.

They do let you adjust a lot of the main software through the settings on the infotainment screen. This is obviously toggling features of the software on/off. I’d bet these other options such as the window auto rollup/down are there. Just need to be able to access them.

I’ve searched and have not been able to find any evidence of a company that does software coding for other Geely brand vehicles but they may be out there. I thought for sure a company may do some custom coding for Volvo vehicles but couldn’t find anyone that modifies the main vehicle settings.