• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

How to fill up with gas without touching paint

WindJunkie

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I filled up my first tank of gas. The angle that the pump has to go into the tank is really difficult to do without allowing the pump handle's circular rubber guard from touching the finished paint. I started to look for like a pump extension adapter to fill up with to completely avoid the problem but I'm not seeing anything. How do you Emira owners fill up without letting the pump handle guard touch the finish paint? Surely over time this will damage/scratch the paint.

That's something I noticed on my first fill-up and it bugged me. An extension is an interesting idea. I just figured to use a microfiber cloth

It's hit or miss depending on the pump handle at a particular station, but be sure you've inserted the nozzle all the way in to reduce the chance of it touching. But the best bet is just to keep a cloth handy or just hold the handle while pumping.

Small tank, fills quickly, I just don't let it rest on the car. In NY they don't have the small plate that lets you lock the pump handle on, so you have to squeeze the handle for the whole fill anyway.

I've never noticed it as an issue in the UK - or do petrol (gas) pump handles follow the "everything's bigger in the USA" saying? :ROFLMAO:

Having said that we can't lock ours on dispense either - that's illegal here - we have to hold the handle down.....

Reactions: ADC
Yep. This.
And a bit of gas always spills out around the filler neck area from the nozzle when you remove it. I've even turned the pump off and squeezed the handle afterwards. Still gets fuel in that valley and on the side of the car. Very poor design.

My older Ferraris had a rubber flap that went around the filler neck that you would flip out to protect the paint.
Pretty simple but worked well.
It doesn't look like there is enough neck to use this on the Emira though.
Screenshot_20240521-111646.png

That's something I noticed on my first fill-up and it bugged me. An extension is an interesting idea. I just figured to use a microfiber cloth
Don't use an extension adapter, the vapor based pump cutoff won't always work properly.

A better solution is to keep a microfiber cloth in the car for this purpose. If you wait 5+ seconds after it clicks off and then tap the nozzle a bit inside the filler neck, it usually won't drip, but if it does the cloth will be there.

That's a good idea 💡
<Adds microfiber cloth to junk in the trunk> 😜
I got a big pack of yellow ones from Costco! They are perfect for this, because they're soft enough to not bother the paint (as long as you don't rub with it), and cheap enough to throw away if it gets gas on it.

If/when one gets fuel drips on it, I just toss it in the trash right there at the gas pump and then grab another one when I'm home.

Don't use an extension adapter, the vapor based pump cutoff won't always work properly.

A better solution is to keep a microfiber cloth in the car for this purpose. If you wait 5+ seconds after it clicks off and then tap the nozzle a bit inside the filler neck, it usually won't drip, but if it does the cloth will be there.
Agree with your advice here. I've been finding that it is all about technique... only pump until the first click, lift the hose and give it a shake (gotta get those last few drops I paid for!!), withdraw halfway and give the nozzle a shake inside the filler neck, then use a fancy twist manoeuvre as you lift the nozzle from the filler neck, tipping the nozzle straight up while keeping in line directly above the filler, as if you have just poured a glass of wine (bonus points if you do it one handed, with a white linen serviette draped over the other arm, and a slightly snooty air about you)

Haven't spilled a drop on my precious new baby so far by doing it this way. 👍 🍷 🧐

Yeah you don't want a cloth with gas in it giving off fumes in the trunk. The trunk gets hot and the battery is back there too. Terrible idea. I've only filled my tank once since I've had my car, but I used a paper towel from the windshield cleaner dispenser at the station. Towel goes around the edge of the nozzle opening when putting it into the filler hole, and it goes back around the nozzle when removing it. Throw it away there at the station.

Agree with your advice here. I've been finding that it is all about technique... only pump until the first click, lift the hose and give it a shake (gotta get those last few drops I paid for!!), withdraw halfway and give the nozzle a shake inside the filler neck, then use a fancy twist manoeuvre as you lift the nozzle from the filler neck, tipping the nozzle straight up while keeping in line directly above the filler, as if you have just poured a glass of wine (bonus points if you do it one handed, with a white linen serviette draped over the other arm, and a slightly snooty air about you)

Haven't spilled a drop on my precious new baby so far by doing it this way. 👍 🍷 🧐
^^This. I also rotate the nozzle straight up after removing. If there's a drip waiting, it'll run down the nozzle and you can get it away from the car before it actually drips. Never had a drop touch the car.

Yeah you don't want a cloth with gas in it giving off fumes in the trunk. The trunk gets hot and the battery is back there too. Terrible idea. I've only filled my tank once since I've had my car, but I used a paper towel from the windshield cleaner dispenser at the station. Towel goes around the edge of the nozzle opening when putting it into the filler hole, and it goes back around the nozzle when removing it. Throw it away there at the station.
You throw the towel away if it gets gasoline on it. You don't put it back in the trunk. And per the above "twist" advice, you rarely ever get a drop of gas on it. It's just a backstop when things go inevitably awry on the 30th or 40th time.

You throw the towel away if it gets gasoline on it. You don't put it back in the trunk. And per the above "twist" advice, you rarely ever get a drop of gas on it. It's just a backstop when things go inevitably awry on the 30th or 40th time.
Found the rubber Ferrari protector on EBay. Does it work for the Emira?

Got it, thanks all for the advice. Glad to know I'm not the only one wondering this. I'll use cheap microfiber towels moving forward.

No issues with nozzle/paint contact here in my first 4 fill-ups at Wawa, Buc-ee's, or Costco. TBD if some other stations have different handle designs. I also tap it with the nozzle tip still inside the cap-less fuel receptacle and haven't had any drips anywhere I don't want them. And this was my first time fueling a car since 2018! Just requires a little finesse.

IMG_6388.jpg