How to fill up with gas without touching paint

WindJunkie

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I filled up my first tank of gas. The angle that the pump has to go into the tank is really difficult to do without allowing the pump handle's circular rubber guard from touching the finished paint. I started to look for like a pump extension adapter to fill up with to completely avoid the problem but I'm not seeing anything. How do you Emira owners fill up without letting the pump handle guard touch the finish paint? Surely over time this will damage/scratch the paint.

I think I'd have a problem using microfiber as a disposable one off. Something that takes 200 years or so to break down in a landfill isn't something for every time I fill up. I'll just use paper towels. Maybe even a cotton shop towel, but nothing that's effectively very fuzzy polyester is being casually discarded.

Last edited:
I think I'd have a problem using microfiber as a disposable one off. Something that takes 200 years or so to break down in a landfill isn't something for every time I fill up. I'll just use paper towels. Maybe even a cotton shop towel, but nothing that's effectively very fuzzy polyester is being casually discarded.
You make a good point... given that service stations here seem to never have paper towels in the dispenser, nor water next to the pumps, I guess I'm going to have to resort to immediately peeing on the panel to dilute any spills. Did I mention that I really care about this car...?

Yeah you don't want a cloth with gas in it giving off fumes in the trunk. The trunk gets hot and the battery is back there too. Terrible idea. I've only filled my tank once since I've had my car, but I used a paper towel from the windshield cleaner dispenser at the station. Towel goes around the edge of the nozzle opening when putting it into the filler hole, and it goes back around the nozzle when removing it. Throw it away there at the station.

This is what I’ve done for years. If they don’t have a paper towel dispenser at the Chevron I fill up at, I have napkins in my glovebox.

For those of you looking for something to buy there’s this:

You make a good point... given that service stations here seem to never have paper towels in the dispenser, nor water next to the pumps, I guess I'm going to have to resort to immediately peeing on the panel to dilute any spills. Did I mention that I really care about this car...?
Maybe bring a roll of shop towels in the trunk?

Similar to the ferrari flap, my old 993 porsche had a little rubber apron (I called it a diaper) that would roll out to prevent gas drips from hitting the paint.

Can't imagine this would be a difficult aftermarket part to create for the emira to place around the neck.. hard to see in this photo but you can see a square rubber flap that rolls out and covers the area under the nozzle.

View attachment 43999

Refer to my Amazon link in post #23.
They also have a smaller sized square version.

Yeah just keep a roll of paper towels in the trunk.

This is what I’ve done for years. If they don’t have a paper towel dispenser at the Chevron I fill up at, I have napkins in my glovebox.

For those of you looking for something to buy there’s this:
The only problem I see with that rubber flap is it's designed for cars that have actual twist off/on gas caps, and ours don't. The fuel door is the gas cap on ours, and getting the rubber piece to cooperate and stay out of the way while trying to close the fuel door might be a hassle.

I am extremely careful at the gas station and I usually hold the pump nozzle while filling up. Got a little tired and careless filling at the track this weekend and the pump handle touched my paint. No rubber on it at that spot and it scratched off a small piece of paint on the edge. 😢

Be careful, guys.

No issues with nozzle/paint contact here in my first 4 fill-ups at Wawa, Buc-ee's, or Costco. TBD if some other stations have different handle designs. I also tap it with the nozzle tip still inside the cap-less fuel receptacle and haven't had any drips anywhere I don't want them. And this was my first time fueling a car since 2018! Just requires a little finesse.

View attachment 43997
I followed the photo here to tuck the rubber guard into the cap hole, now I have no problems at all. I'm kind of an idiot for not thinking of that the first time 🤣

NJ resident chiming in here… we don’t pump our own gas so I’m constantly looking at the gas attendant to make sure they’re doing it OK 😂

The only problem I see with that rubber flap is it's designed for cars that have actual twist off/on gas caps, and ours don't. The fuel door is the gas cap on ours, and getting the rubber piece to cooperate and stay out of the way while trying to close the fuel door might be a hassle.
I bought the smaller version and it works fine. Thanks for suggestion @Go Kart

IMG_6665.jpeg

NJ resident chiming in here… we don’t pump our own gas so I’m constantly looking at the gas attendant to make sure they’re doing it OK 😂
If you get that rubber thing, they will be forced to pull it down to pump the gas.

By the time you spot an issue, I fear it may be too late…

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back